The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stallion Photos for Advertisements

I have a friend who is interested in knowing what the going rate is for pictures used on websites and magazine ads, and what different types of licensing agreements there are when using a professional photog when taking stallion pictures.

Thanks!
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

I can only speak for myself here, as many photographers have different policies about this. If a stallion owner purchases a photo from me, from a show or a private stallion shoot - all rights to use that photo for advertising purposes goes along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I can only speak for myself here, as many photographers have different policies about this. If a stallion owner purchases a photo from me, from a show or a private stallion shoot - all rights to use that photo for advertising purposes goes along with it.
    Same goes for the photos I have done as well. The rights to use the photo go with the photos that are purchased.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

I paid for a "session" with the photographer and that got me a CD with all the pictures and rights to use them. I always credit the photographer, and he has been really helpful with resizing for ads and such.
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

I have had it all over the map...from folks that charged a reasonable flat rate and it's use was all inclusive to show photographers at Devon where one single photo from the show the steep fee was for my use only, advertising use was extra at an ungodly fee (like 500.00) and per magazine....like for every magazine I used the photo in it would be 500.00. That would be = to one intro stud fee for him for each ad I had to run. Plus the cost of the ad. Noooo thank you.I hung it on my wall and that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    I paid for a "session" with the photographer and that got me a CD with all the pictures and rights to use them. I always credit the photographer, and he has been really helpful with resizing for ads and such.
    This is what we did for clients that hired us to come out and shoot their inspection for their personal horses, 14 in the inspection and then we also shot pictures of their 2 and 3 year olds.
    We did all the edits on the photos. put them on a CD and sent it to the owners. They have full rights to them and are using them for personal use, website and advertising. One of the pictures of a foal was also used by the owner of the stallion for a calendar.
    What is the point of having great pictures of your horses if you can't afford to use them???
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

It varies. I've paid the BN Photographers $500 for full use (magazine ads, websites) plus the cost of the image. I've also just paid for the image and have the right to frame it in the house. Other photographers want a photo credit, a copy of the publication and a nominal ($150-300) fee for full use. There was one photographer who had an 'Internet Only Use' fee - I think it was $350 per image...

Thanks all who have responded!

What are the fees that you usually charge for stallion session, and then subsequently the images on a disc?

Do you charge per image provided, or for all pictures taken?

Thanks again!
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

If I am selling to a magazine directly, I am paid for a one time use of the image and it is quite a bit more if it is a cover shot as opposed to being used in an article/results.
    It really depends on the photographer, how they will charge. Some have a shoot fee and will give all photos on a disc, others will send proofs and you choose the ones you would like to purchase and pay per image.
    I am flexible as to pricing depending on what the customer needs.
    I did a two day photo shoot - about a 1/2 day each day to have the best light, very close to where I live and was paid $350 for all images. This included five discs with custom image labels and about 30 images with all rights.
    I have also done sales photos and candids for a bunch of owners in one day at a big hunter/jumper farm and charged each client $25 per image with all rights.

It is good your friend is going with with a pro. I am surprised at how many not so flattering photos I see in stallion ads.
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Visit our website: Gift Hill Farm and on Facebook

For my webpage clients I do it for free usually except maybe the "time" I have invested. They get full use. Of course, I am not a trained professional.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)