The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Odin the Great Dane and Monty the 2 week old Colt - Video

Monty can really hold his own. Odin is just playing with the baby and this is after a number of days of very gradual introduction that started with them licking each other's noses.

Odin is very respectful of the horses - he just likes to play with the babies and mom has given him lots of warnings about behaving with the baby - it is all under very supervised conditions.

One thing you can say about our horses is they will never be afraid of horses and Monty is very spunky. Odin is really a chicken - so no need for anyone to worry about anything - they play like this everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ErF1MG5as

I see a large dog barking at a foal and foal in a defensive posture. Not cute. At all.

Thanks, sketcher! That's also what I saw: a dog whose predatory instincts are aroused by the foal, but who's restraining himself under human supervision to the degree the human's demanding, & a foal who just wants the dog to leave him alone, proof shown by his constant turning of his heels to him. I don't find this to be play, therefore.

well perhaps you do - but they are always playing and if the colt was scared he would go to mommy - they do this all the time - as soon as monty sees odin he comes running over to play - so perhaps you are seeing what you want to see.

They lick noses and the foal is very happy to see Odin - Odin has learned to play with all our foals so you don't need to worry.

Believe me - if monty was scared he would kick odin and Odin would not be in there - take a breath. The dog is in play stance.

anytime you have to prep and prevaricate and propose what we should see...maybe it's better left unseen.

come on guys, the dog drops this front end to the ground which in dog language means, "let's play" while he wags his tail. The foal does try to engage with him, but does not seem to know what to do. At 2 weeks old baby horses do not even know how to play with each other.

It looked like Monty was hanging out with his mom a lot at the end when Odin wanted to play...
    I'd be careful. The barking is kind of bothersome to me even though it seems Odin wants to play. My youngster was raised on a farm that had Great Danes until he was 7 months old. The times that I went to visit I couldn't believe how the owner allowed the dogs to harass the foals. Most of the time it was just running along the outside of the fence barking, but sometimes they were in the pastures and they were often underfoot when the horses were going to/from stalls. The dogs always seemed like they were happy and having fun. The horses, not so much.
    I think that's the reason my guy will chase down and try to stomp dogs now. He's never lived anywhere other than his breeders and the farm. We don't have dogs that go near the horses at the farm, but if a visiting dog (say from my house) happens to be in his pasture or in the ring, he goes after it - with intent to harm!! That behavior had to be something that came from his experience with the danes as a baby....
    Y'all ain't right!

[QUOTE=Bravestrom;5561596]Believe me - if monty was scared he would kick odin Does Monty need to kick for you to draw the line? The fact that he just keeps turning his heels to him in a threatening way should be sufficient proof that he's not finding Odin's attentions to be amusing. The dog is in play stance. Play stance is felt as such by whom it matters to - Monty?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MunchingonHay;5562091]come on guys, the dog drops this front end to the ground which in dog language means, "let's play" while he wags his tail. I learned years ago, so don't recall the source, that tail-wagging is not to be taken as friendliness, always. In the next second, attack may occur.The foal does try to engage with him, but does not seem to know what to do. At 2 weeks old baby horses do not even know how to play with each other. Well, there you go! All the more reason that Odin should be kept away from Monty,imo. QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    ...I think that's the reason my guy will chase down and try to stomp dogs now. He's never lived anywhere other than his breeders and the farm. We don't have dogs that go near the horses at the farm, but if a visiting dog (say from my house) happens to be in his pasture or in the ring, he goes after it - with intent to harm!! That behavior had to be something that came from his experience with the danes as a baby....
    Very instructive experience you shared, here, Beastie.

The mare is not amused. That much is clear.

You'll learn the hard way when one of those foals or horses kicks that dog in the head. I'm only sorry that the animal is going to have to be the one to teach it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    The mare is not amused. That much is clear.
    the mare is quite used to Odin playing with her babies. Well we enjoy watching them play - but to each his own - Monty now runs from the other end of the arena or field to play with Odin and actually neighs to him - In fact all our horses will kiss Odin when they are in cross ties with their ears forward.

Seems maybe our animals are just alot friendlier than most.

Play bow or no play bow, intentions aside, I'm not sure why you would encourage your dog - a predator - to interact with your horses - prey? In your position I would be very happy for them to be present, but not interact in that way at all. IMO the best situation when dealing with natural predators and prey animals is that the predator remain aloof -even if his job is to protect the prey animals. In my opinion it would be far more difficult to dissuade this dog from the animals in the future should the need arise.

I don't find the video cute actually. It feels like somebody's getting set up here.

Edited to comment on, "Seems maybe our animals are just alot friendlier than most."

I disagree. In the final analysis a dog is a dog is a dog. IMO too often dogs get in trouble because we humans forget this and impose unreasonable expectations of behavior on them.

Sorry.
    Paula

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I see a large dog barking at a foal and foal in a defensive posture. Not cute. At all.
    Well, the dog does seem to be quite clearly saying 'let's play' - so I don't see anything particularly worrisome about the dog's behavior. However, the fact that the foal pretty much promptly goes 'here, look at my back end' in every interaction says to me that the foal is either not interested in playing or not understanding that's the goal - either one of which is likely to get the dog kicked. (Actually, I think Odin showed quite good sense - couple of tries to play, foal says 'no', dog goes 'I'll just leave then.')

While it doesn't seem like the most traumatic inter-species interaction in the world, it also doesn't really seem like it's likely to do much good.

If I was trying to train dogs and horses to get along, I would personally be aiming for 'just ignore each other' rather than trying to encourage them to play - because they play in different ways and there's too much risk of misunderstanding leading to very negative situations. (Like Odin getting kicked - which will teach Monty to kick at dogs, and will teach Odin that horses kick, not to mention probably injuring Odin.)

If said dogs and horses, after mastering the 'we are getting along because the person says to but you do your thing and I'll do mine' requirements, somehow work out how to play with each other safely, fine and dandy. But that's different than starting with play, imo.

(For example, I can totally picture one of those 'hurl the object in the pasture' type horses working out that if they hurl the object, the dog brings it back! And then they hurl it again! Excellent fun! So that level of things wouldn't surprise me.)

No comment on the dog (who's gorgeous, btw!), but I love when Monty smashes right into mom in the beginning!
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Not cute, no matter how many ways the OP defends it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

I looked at it in terms of 'if I owned that mare and foal, how would I feel?'

And answered with that in mind. I didn't sit here cowering in fear but my gut said 'this is a foolish way to get foals accustomed to horses. I want my horses to be at ease around dogs, not anxiously turning their butts to them. To each his own, but you, OP... look at your initial post. You know it's controversial, you know it might not be well received.

In other words, you got what you expected you'd get.

Odin is a gorgeous Dane, and I agree with the characterization that he's a big chicken. But no. He and the foal are not 'playing.' He gets into the wanna play posture while woofing (and as the owner of a Dane myself I am quite familiar with all of this) but he ain't 100% sure that's what he wants to do.

My Dane woofs heartily at the neighborhood deer, who ignore him, which makes him woof louder. But if they ever stayed on the same side of the fence with him I am quite sure they would strike at him if he got too close.

The dane asked to play, and the foal said no. He wasn't scared of the dog, but he also chased the dog out of the arena, then turned his hind feet to him.

when the dog enters the arena the foal charges him and turns his heels on him.

Another month and that dog is going to get a kick in the head.

There is nothing in the horses which want to play.

I am surprised the OP doesn't read horse body language any better than these responses she's making, or having filmed and posted this to begin with. Makes you wonder what else she's missing, as horses communicated mostly this way.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Main problem I thought of....If I had a youngster (heck, any horse) and a big dane was barking at them in their field....there'd be a big "BANG!" with a shovel and silence to follow.

Not unlike when people let their foal get "fresh" which is considered cute till they hit 16.2 and it's not cute anymore.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    come on guys, the dog drops this front end to the ground which in dog language means, "let's play" while he wags his tail.
    When dogs engage in this "let's play" behavior, it doesn't take too long before they're "play" biting and wrestling with each other. Dogs know how to do this with other dogs, not with baby horses, and baby horses certainly shouldn't be put in a position where a dog could engage in this behavior. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.