The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default Insecurities, perfectionism...ah the world of horses.

I know we've mentioned these things at times in other posts, but I had to ask. Is the reason there seem to be so many crazy horse people really because the varying degrees of crazy are more attracted to horses than anything else? (Thinking of the dressage world and how many perfectionist there are. As well as control freaks and people who are so insecure they feel a need to destroy others in an attempt to make themselves feel better. And the people who try to control everyone else in the barn, and not only in things that relate to horses but they seem to think that there are certain behaviors that are non-horse related that they need to correct in others.)

I was wondering if it really is that more of the crazies are in the horse world (yes, I will include myself) or if it's that there are crazy and wacky people in your life, everywhere you go, but that they tone it down in more public situations (including work here) and it's just that people remove that veneer at the barn.

Just curious what other people think. I'm starting to think that the only difference is that horse people do drop the facade and don't really care what others think, and that real life is made up of 100% crazies and there are no normals and truly well behaved people (at their core) anywhere. I think everyone has a flavor and degree of crazy. It's just that when we're in a group of people with similar craziness, we feel that we are normal.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I've often contemplated if the horse world makes you a drunk or drug addict, or if those people were just drawn to it.

I think people remove the veneer at the barn, or show or whatever. I've encountered just as many crazy non-horse people as crazy ones, we just didn't have as much in common!

Prime venues for spotting non-horsey crazy people include but are not limited to:
    Kids soccer games
    kids beauty pageants
    scrapbooking parties
    any sort of hostess home based sales party
    thrift stores
    malls
    grocery stores
    gun shops
    airports (personal fave)
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Those covered most of the "normal" world.

I was thinking you could throw in some scifi and fantasy conventions, too. Then again, maybe that's truly normal.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Those covered most of the "normal" world.

I was thinking you could throw in some scifi and fantasy conventions, too. Then again, maybe that's truly normal.
    At least people don't go to those expecting "normal". I'm guessing you or I would stick out like a sore thumb at something like that!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Its funny that this is a topic. My mom carted me through ten years of lessons and different trainers and has always wondered why all my trainers have been so f***-ing nuts!!! And not always in a bad way

My step mother when trying to discourage my daughter from riding (to take up golf!) said "horse people are not normal!" We LOVE that line..
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Wink Welll....

Every passion has it's extremist... and those passions that require more time and dedication AND include animals have it's share of crazies. I truly don't think that horse people are disproportionately odd or unusual.

That said, when you find them... they do stand out!

And, if you find way too many of them... you are either at the top of the crazy heap OR you need to change your discipline.

Just sayin'!

I would say that it depends what we consider crazy.

I have friends that are asked to go to high social functions in the East that won't go because they don't feel comfortable wearing "regular" street clothes.
    In their neat, classy western suits, they feel that they look too out of place there and they do.

I think that some times, what is "normal" is such a flexible condition of being as to be meaningless to any other than the group involved there.

There are plenty of people that may be considered disfunctional in the horse world, but there are in all other we do too.

Since we are in the horse world here, those "outliers" beween us, those on the perimeter of the "normal" circle, are the ones we notice most.
    A matter of perception indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    I'm starting to think that the only difference is that horse people do drop the facade and don't really care what others think, and that real life is made up of 100% crazies and there are no normals and truly well behaved people (at their core) anywhere. I think everyone has a flavor and degree of crazy. It's just that when we're in a group of people with similar craziness, we feel that we are normal.
    This, at least in my opinion!

Honestly sometimes I feel like the horse crazies are NOTHING in comparison to some of the crazies in other areas of life. Frankly at least with the horse crazies, I know what to expect, and the level of crazy is usually consistent!

And I do think horse people don't really give a crap what other people think of them. I kind of appreciate the honesty in that regard. They are what they are, if you don't like it, go to another barn/trainer/farrier/vet.

Now that I am a parent I am learning that the general population is indeed off their rocker for the most part. Having kids throws you into this fishbowl with other parents, teachers, coaches, all kinds of complete whack jobs. Nowadays I find solace in the horse friends, even the crazy ones.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Becoming a parent does seem to make nearly all types of crazy acceptable. It may be the one place where entre into that group means all differences are ignored and general insanity rules (and often for a lifetime ).
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Seriously! I was sitting through a rather heated meeting last week-- at my daughter's PRESCHOOL-- and was shocked at the level of insanity!! Sheer craziness. At one point I flat out said, ok guys, these kids are FOUR!

It was a breath of fresh air to walk into the barn a few days later and get caught up on all the latest barn drama from the other boarders. Whew. Now that is some crazy I understand.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Try working in a retail, customer focused industry, and you'll find more than a fair share of nut jobs! My day job is finance based. I see so many crazies it's not even funny. Nothing worse that people and their money!!
    Second job is in the food service industry. Oh the stories I could tell of finicky whacko types and their twisted ways.
    Surround yourself with any group of people and the nut jobs will crawl out of the woodwork. It's a fact of life
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

My mom has a theory with people who work really closely with animals and sanity: The more they lack in social skills/graces, the closer they seem to be "in touch" with their animals.

That said I have an estranged aunt who is deep in the dog show/breeding world, so maybe it's just sour grapes...

Everyone is crazy, EVERYONE.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    That was my general conclusion, too.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Oh, there's crazy everywhere, and not always that well hidden. I own a business that designs and builds organizational and storage solutions for people. My contractor and new construction clients are largely pretty straightforward--they just want functional, attractive closets, and the majority of my other "retail" clients are relatively normal, but some of them... oh, my.

Sometimes, I just want to say "trust me, I cannot solve your hoarding/filth problem. You really would be better spending the money on a psychiatrist, a cleaning service, a dumpster, or shoes for your children."

And at the opposite end of the spectrum, as you can imagine, the obsessive/compulsive community love us. We had one client a while back who wouldn't allow my designer or my installers to touch any of her door knobs--they had to wait for her to open doors for them (great when you are packing in the materials for a large closet in the depths of a mountain winter) and then followed them round with a can of lysol and a cloth complaining about the doors being left open...

Then there's the Just Plain Rude. We're a service business, so we try and work on the grounds that the customer is always right, so we do a fair amount of apologizing about things we didn't do wrong in the first place. I vividly remember, years ago, trying to fix a situation for someone who reckoned we had got their installation date screwed up (we hadn't, documantation is a wonderful thing,) and being told "You just don't sound sorry enough."

When I have to deal with this stuff all day, I seek out drama-free boarding situations and trainers who aren't generally certifiable...

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    Cept me.....<laughing hysterically and running off into the woods.>
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Try working in a retail, customer focused industry, and you'll find more than a fair share of nut jobs! My day job is finance based. I see so many crazies it's not even funny. Nothing worse that people and their money!!
    Second job is in the food service industry. Oh the stories I could tell of finicky whacko types and their twisted ways.
    Surround yourself with any group of people and the nut jobs will crawl out of the woodwork. It's a fact of life
    I agree, well said.

I think that horse people are crazy, but we enjoy our insanity.

You forgot to add us truck drivers...a nuttier bunch you almost can't find. Altho, I will say that lately, there is a "regular guy" entering the driving field. The guy who got downsized out of an office job and needs a job NOW. At least they pretty much have manners and take showers.

Don't forget artists and used car dealers....
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    Cept me.....<laughing hysterically and running off into the woods.>
    pj - I like you.