The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony rears when clipping ears or touch mouth

We recently purchased a pony and was told she has good ground manners. She is good for the farrier and fine to groom.

However, when the BO went to deworm her she reared straight up and was unable to use the dewormer (used an alphafa pellet wormer). When she rears, she also kicks out at you. The pony fell into her stall walls while rearing as well.

Today, we tried to body clip her - previously we have clipped her legs, muzzle and bridle path without any issues. Her mane has been pulled without a problem either. While clipping her face, she was ok, but when we got to her ears, she shot up and fell into the wall. We had her off cross ties - one person assisting with a lead rope to loosely hold her. Normally, you can touch her ears without a problem at all. We tried multiple times to get her ears done - we gave her breaks, treats, walked her around outside, worked on a different part of her body - but when coming near the ears, each time she reared up again. We gave up for the day but would like to try again.

We don't want her to hurt herself - or others. Does anyone have any suggestions? BO/BM is not much help here.

Thank you!

Twitch... if that doesn't work, better living through chemistry.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

If the ear clipping must be done asap, then I agree, tranqs are the way to go, but not a good long term fix.

I had issues with my gelding about ear clipping, it was a two person job involving a lip chain to get it done. And that was no fun for any of us.

So, I put on my thinking cap, and bought a pair of those tiny hand held Wahl battery operated clippers, I think the cost under 20.00. Then every night while grooming I would take them out and work on retraining him. First night I got one swipe on the outside edge, lots of praise and treats and called it a night. Next night, two swipes, more praise and treats.

It took maybe two weeks of nightly work, but I can now clip his ears without any drama.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

For the worming, clean out a wormer syringe, and dip it in molasses (or any other sticky substance that the pony thinks is yummy), and let the pony lick or mouth it on his own. Repeat nightly until you can get it in without drama. Then put a bit of the yummy stuff in the syringe, and when it is in his mouth, squirt a bit in.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

make a jam / treacle. syrup strawberry jam or honey sandwich then stuff the wormer in it , or wet feed half your feed with the wormer then give the other when shes eaten the 1st half as reward

at alast result, get barn owner to have her on the lead rope/head collar and short and get hold of her tongue, pull it ot eh outside of her outh one side, when ready with the wormer as you , go opposite to b0, when she says she got the tongue you insert wormer quick sharp, she the bo lets go of tongue and then quick lifts the head and strokes neck

when the hrose puts it tongue back in it imedaiately swallows lifting the head up will prevent it from spitting it out an stroking th neck will helpthe horse gulp it down all done and dusted in 2 mins flat tis is how i do it if the horse is mucking about works every time

ears- check your bridle isnt to small in hte brow band area as ears are sensitive, use quiet clippers, like mens trimming beards ones o they are a lot smaller small and not large, or use scissors to clip ears
    try- getting her used to the noise above her head dont try or attempt to clip her head or ears until used to the noise above, do this over a course of 2 weeks, then do a dry run a few times before the next attempt at doing her ears
    failing that sadate her but this can be expensive if you have to kept doing this for a clipping

any new areas you want to clip then - do it the old fashioned way
    get her used to the clippers and noise,1st, then lots of dry runs before th bodyrun for real

When were her teeth last done by someone that uses a sedation and a spec? Has she ever had a chiro?

Awwww, she just does not like anything moving around her face or being touched around it. And it sounds like she has little pleasant experience with learning to tolerate it it.

Now, there is nothing wrong with a tranq for ear clipping right now. Maybe better then the twitch which hurts and will make her hate the clippers even more. She has had some bad experiences where these things turn into a fight and you need to break that cycle.

Good possibility she is reacting to that cord dangling beside her eye as much as any noise and coming at her head with the worming syringe is in the same ballpark-she is simply scared of it and being defensive.

To fix it you need alot of time and she needs her face fooled with every day-and this is one place that treats are appropriate. Handle her ears, run your hands over her face, make soothing sounds, give her a treat IF she stays still. Try to anticipate when she is going to react and stop before you get there, push further every session.

Go from that to just letting the clippers run around her, then run them while you fool with her ears. Go from there. And I LOVE the cordless clippers so there is no cord 2 inches from their eyes.

Now, you may never get her 100% on them but you will get further then you are now and she will TRUST you more, right now she doesn't and she is scared.

Far as the wormer? When you come at them with something in your hand determined to stick it halfway down their throats? You have to expect a defense. Again, make it slow, quiet, back off if she really gets scared. Don't make it a do or die situation. I had one that we put molasses on the unopened syringe and let him lick it off for a few days. When we opened it and put molasses on it, no problemo.

It's conditioned response-they see these things and expect a fight. So change the conditions and make it pleasant. Clicker training if you will.

And, have to say, is this a Pony pony(like little) or are you just using the term pony???? Because alot of Pony ponies (like little) HATE adults or bigger people as all experences with them are unpleasant-vet, farrier, disciplinary actions. Sometimes a small person or child can get more done.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

My horse deosn't tolerate any clippers, but I use scissors and a horse shave on him fine. He was a goober about his ears at first, but I realized the entire problem was he HATES if teh hair we clipped gets in his ears. If I fold his ears to varying degrees as I trim, he stands like a rock. The minute hair drops in his ears...instant goober. Once I figured that out, he's much easier to get along with during show prep.

You can also stuff their ears with ear bunnies or just wads of sheet cotton to keep the hair from falling into them.

And that actually works very well for some of them that are clipper shy.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    When were her teeth last done by someone that uses a sedation and a spec? Has she ever had a chiro?
    Her teeth were done about 6 months ago, before we purchased her. At this point, I assume it was done under sedation. Never had a chiro, but I am considering it.

Findelight, she is a large pony (14.2). Thank you so much for all your suggestions! I will definitely try molasses on the syringe. Great ideas!

We got her entire body clipped this morning - minus one ear and the part over an eye. Her head looks a little silly right now. She is fine bodyclipping her actual BODY, just not her face. As we got close to her face, she did rear up a bit. Tried the smaller battery operated clippers, but she seemed to like those even less than the regular clippers. Maybe tomorrow we will try scissors or cotton balls in the ear?

I agree that she must've had a bad past experience. She is only 9 and I'd like to fix this problem rather than tranq her each time the ears need to get done. Poor thing. Definitely gave my husband some new gray hair and had my eleven year old daughter upset to see her pony react in that way!

We'll continue to work on her and keep you posted. Thank you to everyone who responded so quickly!

I had a horse with an ear infection and he started acting like this, wouldnt let you near his face! Just something to look into
    He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable, He knows when you're confident, And he ALWAYS knows when you have carrots

To get her used to the clippers over time, a small electric tooth brush makes a quiet buzzing noise and might not upset her.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I love that!!

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    Twitch... if that doesn't work, better living through chemistry.

I'm ashamed to tell this but you can ONLY put a syring in my mare's mouth from her right side. Once in you can move it front or to her left if you wish.
    All my fault.
    When I first got her she hadn't been handled at all and all the basic things were a nightmare. As I trained her to accept wormer I always worked from her right as that was more comfortable for me and now that's what she expects. Once in no problems whatsoever. Even my vet knows to flush her mouth he needs to first put the syring in on her right.

I know...I know. One day I will correct this.

Anyhow just for the heck of it try a different side on your pony just in case someone lazy (like me) has trained pony to accept only one side or the other.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I have to admit that the best way to stop the standing up on the hind legs is find a old cow barn without a ton of head room....my pony mare would rear when we went to clip her ears/ bridle path....two times of her banging her head and now she doesn't think of going up...not the best idea...however...it did work...and it was her doing it to herself...not us !

Quote Originally Posted by samtoney View Post
    I have to admit that the best way to stop the standing up on the hind legs is find a old cow barn without a ton of head room....my pony mare would rear when we went to clip her ears/ bridle path....two times of her banging her head and now she doesn't think of going up...not the best idea...however...it did work...and it was her doing it to herself...not us !
    Some are too smart for this but some aren't. I don't think I'd want to risk possibly permanent damage to my horse or pony this way.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Does pony have aural plaques in her ears? They frequently make equine ears extra sensitive. I can't clip my pony's ears even when she's tranq'd

Quote Originally Posted by samtoney View Post
    I have to admit I've used the low ceiling cure occasionally. Once on a mare who was a real dink in her stall. I put her in a stall with a low ceiling ( usually used for a pony or shavings storage) - probably only about 6 ft high, she smacked her head a few times and voila! Cured.

I'm not sure I'd use it for a horse who has issues with clipping, although for the one who was stubborn enough I would have moments of temptation if I still had a low ceiling available to me. A flat ceiling, no lights or other objects, not one with low rafters - that is just asking for trouble.