The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feral cat is 3-legged lame

There is a feral cat that I see around my small barn. I cannot get near him, and even if I could, I am very allergic. I usually put food out if I see him, and he eats. I noticed a few days ago he was favoring a front paw. He is now pretty much avoiding using it, though he will put it down when he eats. I tried to get near him today, but no go. I would take him to a vet if I could catch him, but I really cannot afford a major vet bill right now for an animal that is not mine. I also cannot do any after care due to my allergies.

I tried to contact a feral cat group, but no reply.

Any ideas? He is eating, so not that bad. I figured that I would try animal control tomorrow to see if they have a trap and might get him to a vet.

Is it kinder to leave him or to try to trap him?

The feral cat around here broke his leg almost a year ago and is still alive and looking great. I don't feed him because I don't want to attract raccoons, but he seems like he does just fine.

I too was going to trap him and take him to a vet. I set out a cage and food and I saw him in it a few times. I never did get a trapping cage as he seemed fine.

Like I said he is still on 3 legs over a year later and just fine. He will not let me get too close, but he will lay down and watch me when I do happen upon him. He is such a pretty cat. I toy with the idea of feeding him and trying to "tame" him. I have seen another all black cat on the property as well, so he has friends. He is really agile on 3 legs. Its impressive!

Well that is hopeful. He was mewing for food today. I only leave food out when he is there to eat it to avoid the coons.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Well that is hopeful. He was mewing for food today. I only leave food out when he is there to eat it to avoid the coons.
    Well I would watch him since he comes around. If he seems to be getting along okay then leave him, but if not trap him. Feral cat societies will have traps you can borrow.

If my feral came around, then I would feed him, but I only ever see him away from the barn.

See if you can trap him, it may be a serious infection.

Don't feed him for a couple days, then set up the H-a-H. Just sprinkle a TINY bit of food close to the back but not close enough to paw scoop. They have to put the weight on the lever.

You can check/get him neutered at the same time!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed