The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Speak to me of breast collars....

I'm noticing that my saddle is sliding back (instead of beind just behind the point of the shoulder, it's a good three or four inches behind the shoulder point after a few minutes. If we go up a hill, it's really bad! Can anyone suggest a super-comfy breast collar (for an English saddle)? Madame is a good sport, but if I am going to put something new on her, it had better be comfy! :-)

I use this one:
    http://www.freedomtreeless.com/Gallery.html the first two horses are mine.
    you can find it on page 13 of this catalog and order it through freedomtreeless.com (you will have to e-mail her with your horses measurments)
    http://www.freedomtreeless.com/BioThaneCatalog.pdf

You might also want to look into saddle fit, what kind of pad or girth you are using. If your saddle is slipping back that much there is something else going on. You may need to shim your pad or tweak something else. I wouldn't want to rely on a breast collar alone to keep my saddle in place.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I use a standard leather 'hunting breastplate' similar to what is depicted. But I would echo the concern about checking saddle fit- if it slips that much going up, it will also slip that much forward going down, which would mean a crupper, too.

Agree with the suggestions on checking saddle fit, as well. If it's slipping that much it sounds like it's too narrow and 'perching' on the withers, especially if your horse's are less prominent or has gained weight/muscle.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

That much slippage during normal riding indicates you have a problem with saddle fit.

Why don't you post photos?

I use a breastplate when I hunt (don't want the saddle slipping over trappy terrain or jumps) but not to really hold the saddle in place.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I like this one. Inexpensive and has some give.
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...9&cm_vc=Search
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I use a padded biothane breastcollar made by Zilco. It would fit either western or english saddles (I use a dressage saddle) and is very adjustable. You may need a girth attatchment with a dee ring (or a bit of twine) to snap the breastcollar to the girth if your girth or cinch does not have a dee ring.

I would also suggest checking saddle fit. But if that is not the issue, I would also get a crupper to further stabilize the saddle.