The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show helmet for opposite of long oval head?

I can't believe I'm asking this but I'm getting desperate...

Where do you get a show helmet that fits "very very" round head, think opposite of "long oval"?

The schooling helmet Troxel Orion fits me perfectly but that is because it has one of those dial systems... Unfortunately it looks horrid on me... it sits crooked over my head, making it look like I was perpetually cocking my head to one side or the other... fine with schooling but not for showing...

I have tried tons of show helmets to no avail... All pinched me horrid at temples while I can stick a finger under the helmet at forehead and behind my head.

Up to now, at shows, I just slap on a Charles Owen hunt cap, which is the only one that does not get me a migraine but as you know, my beloved hunt cap is no longer legal.

I have tried IRH, Troxel, Charles Owen, GPA...

I know I have a weird head but I'm surely not "that" special, right?

Cothers, what would you do?

Which GPA did you try? The original Titium (not the Pro) is one of the roundest helmets out there.

I have a very round head (quite fat!) and have had many helmets. I bought the GPA titanium (or however you spell it ) from Dover last fall, and it is the most comfortable helmet I have ever had- although it is still as hot as Hades, especially in 90degree plus KY humidity.

Same here...GPA Titium The Owen Showjumper made me look like a mushroom.

Umm I can't remember whether I tried the Pro or the Titium. I will give Dover in Dallas a call to see which one they carried... Thank you folks.

Any more idea?

Gloria,

I, too, have a bowling ball for a head. I have the older GPA Titium which fits GREAT, but is pricey and hard to find these days since the new ones have come out.

I found a great deal on this: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...63&ids=7757005. I think I paid around $130 for mine on sale through Dover. It fits my bowling ball head perfectly and is so comfortable and affordable.

The GPA is a very low profile helmet, but the IRH isn't that bad.

Btw, anything Charles Owen will not fit a round head, unless it's the J3 skull cap (which I'm assuming you're not looking for). COs seem to be made to fit the oval head more than the round head. Same thing with Tipperarys. Even the one that was supposed to be the newer one that fits rounder heads does NOT fit mine - pinches in the temples and too much room front and back. You aren't Asian, by chance? I am, and I find that most of us have rounder heads, and the average English helmet was made for the Eastern Western Caucausians who dominate the sport .
    Last edited by eventer_mi; Apr. 21, 2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: because I am apparently globally challenged
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

hahaha, eventer, you caught me... yeah an Asian for a head, along with the whole slew of benefits, including short legs, short arms, and short torso, the whole nine yard.

I "think" I may have tried that IRH, but I will give it another go. Maybe it was a different model I tried...

Try different IRH models, some are rounder than others. Otherwise the older GPA's fit a round head, stay away from CO.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Wow, and I always assume I'm the only Asian on horseback... because usually, I am. I just posted a query about tall boots for short people in Off Course. Brachycephaly (having a length/width ratio that is closer to 1) is indeed more common in East Asians than other populations, although there's lots of variation. I have an Ovation that fits me well but I wouldn't show in it. The only helmet I've eve tried on and loved was a GPA, but I'll be damned if I spend that much on a helmet.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Wait, I see a new clique being born - I Thought I Was the Only Asian Rider Around clique!

seriously, there aren't many of us. Mom and Dad did NOT approve of little me riding - not an Asian Parent Approved Sport, like, say, tennis (which I was forced to do and now love to play). If people are looking for me, I tell them to look for the only Asian on the back of a horse. They usually have no trouble locating me .

Gloria, there are a couple of the skunk-stripe-CO-knockoff IRHs around. The one I linked to fit my head beautifully - not perfectly, but good enough. I've tried a couple of their other models (the one that is the GPA Speedair knockoff doesn't fit at all, btw) and that one is the only one that fits.

I found my GPA off Ebay - never used, for $100. So, it can be done!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

I have a round head and have a Charles Owen J3 skull and a Charles Owen GR8. The Charles Owen rep told me they are the exact same helmet, just made to look different on the outside. I find them both very comfortable, so I would definitely recommend trying the GR8.

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    Wait, I see a new clique being born - I Thought I Was the Only Asian Rider Around clique!

seriously, there aren't many of us. Mom and Dad did NOT approve of little me riding - not an Asian Parent Approved Sport, like, say, tennis (which I was forced to do and now love to play). If people are looking for me, I tell them to look for the only Asian on the back of a horse. They usually have no trouble locating me .
    My parents had no problem with it (my dad had a lot of hobbies and one was riding) other than that it was expensive and we really couldn't afford it. When I was growing up there really weren't any sports that were stereotypically Asian. There weren't enough of us around in Northern VA at the time, which will probably amaze anyone who moved there recently.

I do have a tendency to gravitate toward hobbies dominated by middle-aged white women. For example, I also used to be heavily into dog sports. I am also one of the charter members of the Asian Sheepdog Handlers Association. I think there are five of us nationwide, if we include a guy who doesn't know he's included and a chick with Aussies instead of Border Collies. I digress.

Anyway, some of the new Ovations look more dressy than the one I have, which I think is the Deluxe Schooling Helmet. Since my Ovation fits me, and I have not only a very round but rather large head (7 3/8) this brand may work for the brachycephalic no matter what population you hail from.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Quote Originally Posted by fine*and*dandy View Post
    I have a round head and have a Charles Owen J3 skull and a Charles Owen GR8. The Charles Owen rep told me they are the exact same helmet, just made to look different on the outside. I find them both very comfortable, so I would definitely recommend trying the GR8.
    Interesting. The J3 skull just wraps around my head like it was made for me, butI've tried the GR8 and it didn't fit at all. maybe I tried the other one and not the GR8? I should try it again.

I agree - your best bet is the GPA Titium. The GR8 does not fit a truly round head (pinches my temples like crazy).

Oddly enough I have always purchased helmets in Europe for my very round head. They seem to have a decent selection there - I have to look into whether I will be able to show in it here, the one I have fits better than the GPA and wasn't quite as expensive.

I work part time in a tack store and in the last few years there has been a huge population of brand new to the sport Asian riders in the area (along with a handful who have been riding for a long time), I really hope we get some more helmet choices to accomodate everyone - we can't expect everyone to get a GPA as their first helmet, the only other choice we carry is a Troxel Spirit with the dial system, but it's really not ideal to crank the dial in that far.

-Anna, who apparently has an Asian head :-)

Try an Ovation Competitor. Not super fancy but looks cute on and has a velvet finish. The plastic Troxel Spirits fit my round head perfectly, and the Competitor fits the bill for shows.

Hahaha my parents did not have a chance to say no to me in regard to riding since I am supporting my expensive hobby with my own money as an adult - though they did pay for my graduate degree in this country years ago so I "could" afford it after I graduated... and So, in reality, they are indirectly supporting it but what they don't know won't hurt them right?

When I was a kid, I didn't do much sport. We were extremely competitive academically and just anything that distracted us from books were discouraged. The only ones I did do was swimming (we went scuba diving all the time) and Kendo, which my dad forced me to do, which I thought all too noisy - I think I would have enjoyed Akido better but oh well...

They still don't understand why I would rather have horses than have kids ... you know how Asian parents are: children are paramount to everything... but luckily they are so far away I am spared of their nagging most of the time

By the way, I'm really excited to know there are some Asians at this board into horses. I'm perpetually the only Asian face at the barn and most of the shows I go to, but recently I have seen some young Asian kids showing up taking lessons at the barn I used to ride... Very exciting time indeed. Most Asian parents are afraid of horses but I think some of them are coming out of their shells quite nicely.

Now back to the helmet... I'm sure I tried CR GR8... no luck there...

I love Ovation. I tried one at a local tack shop and it fits me really nicely, even better than my Troxel Orion... Though I have not found a show helmet version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. View Post

-Anna, who apparently has an Asian head :-)
    Anna, welcome to the Round Head Clique

I have an oval shaped head and the Tipperary Sportage fits me very well. I bought a black velvet cover for it for shows.

Hi, I have a round head!

Just purchased a Samshield. Nearly as good as the original Titium.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."