The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I would love to get into showing dogs in the future. It looks like so much fun! Not sure what breed I would do. I have a shih-tzu now but no way would I want to deal with a full coat! I hope to get a rhodesian ridgeback once I'm done school and move to a house. They seem like wonderful dogs.

My parents showed Samoyeds before I was born. They are a great breed as well but the shedding is not something I want to deal with. There was long white hairs and fur balls everywhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Tap2Tango View Post
    I would love to get into showing dogs in the future. It looks like so much fun! Not sure what breed I would do. I have a shih-tzu now but no way would I want to deal with a full coat! I hope to get a rhodesian ridgeback once I'm done school and move to a house. They seem like wonderful dogs.!
    Ridgeback are wonderful dogs! I have had them for over 20 years. They are clean, sweet but very protective and easy to groom. You need to be ready to train them at a very young age otherwise they can become very difficult to handle, but once trained, they never forget! And with that short coat, they are wash and wear.....

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    I am in Florida and from what I see there are quite a few...is it possible to " finish" a dog without leaving the state? !!!
    It all depends on how many dogs are being shown in the state and what the point schedule is for your state. But yes, it can be done. Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    Ridgeback are wonderful dogs! I have had them for over 20 years. They are clean, sweet but very protective and easy to groom. You need to be ready to train them at a very young age otherwise they can become very difficult to handle, but once trained, they never forget! And with that short coat, they are wash and wear.....
    Thanks for the info! I'm assuming they're about $1000+ for show quality? What about non-show quality?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

I have Border Collies, non-AKC, I work for trials as a pen person/set out crew. My horses are my first love, but the dogs have taken over since my first BC in 1993. The dogs introduced me to Natural Horsemanship, my "trainer", Jack Knox read a book by Tom Dorrance and was taken with it. Amazing similarities between training working stockdogs and horses, at least to me. I think I came full circle once I got to that point, got to know sheep well, and volunteered to handle them at trials where I could, eventually got phone calls to come work for pay. I got to KY for the first time (Masterson Station Park) via dog trials, and life is sooo much different for me now. I work for some very nice folks, and have met some fascinating people, some also in horses. Matter of fact, the folks into stockdogs are frequently first horsemen. It's quite a culture!

I show obedience with my Dobermans. All of my dogs have been either adopted from the local animal shelter or been a "re-homed" dog. None have had AKC papers.

Six of the seven dogs I have owned have earned a CD (Companion Dog) title, at least, a couple of them CDX titles (Companion Dog Excellent), and I have trained through the Utility Dog level (only one qualified leg, then the dog had to be retired). I've shown obedience in American Kennel Club, United Kennel Club, Australian Shepherd Club of America, and States Kennel Club.

What I like about obedience is the "to finish is to win." That is, you don't have to "win" or "place" in a class. If you get the required minimun number of points without totally blowing an exercise, your dog can earn a title with three qualifying scores. My worst obedience dog, Moose, barely qualified with his third leg (I think the judge may have thrown us an extra "mercy" half-point), BUT he qualified in his first three shows ever.

I earned the most obedience titles (6? 7?) with my first Doberman (and dog ever!) who was a quick learner but NOT the most precise working dog. My last obedience dog before the current one was a slow learner but when he learned, he was brilliantly precise and LOVED to work! He was fun, too, as he was all natural, with floppy ears and a long tail. Sadly, I lost him to an aggressive cancer.

My "current" obedience Dobe is a Katrina survivor. Jack is shown under the name, "Chaos Rains, I Of The Storm." Jack is having problems with the dumbbell retrieve at the Open (CDX) level, so I may take him to some UKC shows soon and try for a U-CD title. (He has the AKC CD title.)

I wish I could show my fawn (Isabelle) Doberman, Tuppence. She is TRULY gorgeous when she just stands there. Unfortunately, she has bad hips, and while I can sacrifice the no-sit points in the heeling exercises, if she can't FULLY sit for the Long Sit exercise, she would be disqualified.

I don't participate in Agility as I am incredibly clutzy. No. Really. Maybe one day, if I have something like a Bassett Hound that I can just WALK around an agility course. But no, it just seems that if I have room for a dog in my life, it SHOULD BE a Doberman.

:-)
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by BaaramuLuke View Post
    I have Border Collies, non-AKC, I work for trials as a pen person/set out crew. My horses are my first love, but the dogs have taken over since my first BC in 1993. The dogs introduced me to Natural Horsemanship, my "trainer", Jack Knox read a book by Tom Dorrance and was taken with it. Amazing similarities between training working stockdogs and horses, at least to me. I think I came full circle once I got to that point, got to know sheep well, and volunteered to handle them at trials where I could, eventually got phone calls to come work for pay. I got to KY for the first time (Masterson Station Park) via dog trials, and life is sooo much different for me now. I work for some very nice folks, and have met some fascinating people, some also in horses. Matter of fact, the folks into stockdogs are frequently first horsemen. It's quite a culture!
    I'm new to stock dogs and I was taking a lesson from someone and she said, that I will "get it" because I've worked with horses.... I'm looking forward to the day we are ready for out first trial....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Tap2Tango View Post
    Thanks for the info! I'm assuming they're about $1000+ for show quality? What about non-show quality?
    It all depends on the breeder and what they have available. Many of us do not charge different prices for show versus nonshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltc4h View Post
    Yes, show obedience w/ our pound rescues.

BUT-really am I the ONLY one showing Chickens.
    I was thinking about showing my Silkies. I've actually got chickens on the brain!!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I show and breed Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Have done so for about 13 years. Have made 5 champions so far (3 that I bred, 2 that I purchased as puppies).

I show in conformation.

It's a lot of fun!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I am a UKC and AKC judge for all types of coonhounds. I show and hunt Treeing Walkers. They are great. We have 2 dual champions and 1 dual grand champion. I used to show Plotts but our last plott was killed by a poacher during 2010 deer season.
    My hubby and daughter show chickens and DD and I show guinea pigs.
    I'm so busy.....I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.

Alright put your big girl panties on and deal with it!

Sonesta has some very nice dogs!

I have one of her champions, as well as a pet and a new show puppy to start with in May. I had never shown a dog in my life (for that matter, I'd never even watched a conformation show) before I picked up Willie from Sonesta - it goes to show that a novice owner-handler can do well with a quality dog, at least in Cavaliers. I have an awful lot of fun, and so has Mr. Emryss - I think he's even more hooked than I am!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I'm venturing into the world of performance events. I'd love to do some handling in the breed ring and juniors at some point, but I don't have a registered dog to show at the moment. So I'm sticking to Obedience and Rally-O for right now. I'm just in my second obedience class with my great pyr mix; I'm hoping to get his therapy dog title this summer, and then try for a CD with him this fall or next year. Super sweet, just not built for agility, which I'd also love to do.
    I may be looking at getting another dog soonish, I want something that I can do agility and juniors with. Not really sure what breed I'll look into, but I definitely agree with above posters, finding the right breeder is crucial in show dogs.

Interesting how many people on here show dogs, I had no idea! I mostly got started in it because I've grown up in a dog loving family, and when I sold my pony last year and couldn't finance another, dogs all of a sudden became a golden opportunity! I think that having worked with horses for awhile has really helped me with dog training as well, I'm glad I have that background to work from.

Quote Originally Posted by Emryss View Post
    Sonesta has some very nice dogs!

I have one of her champions, as well as a pet and a new show puppy to start with in May. I had never shown a dog in my life (for that matter, I'd never even watched a conformation show) before I picked up Willie from Sonesta - it goes to show that a novice owner-handler can do well with a quality dog, at least in Cavaliers. I have an awful lot of fun, and so has Mr. Emryss - I think he's even more hooked than I am!
    That is very sweet of you, but without quality handlers on the end of the lead (like YOU) then even the best dogs cannot become champions. You have done a great job! Can't wait to see how Patticake does!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I did some junior showmanship as a junior with labradors and most of my dogs have at least their rally novice title. Agility is my main game, but I recently acquired a boston terrier bitch intended for the conformation ring. She has been going to handling classes since 8 weeks old and is looking to be a little superstar. She has the "it" factor. I'm hoping to finish her so her dam can get her ROM and I can finish my first dog and go on to breed her. I hope to breed BTs that are intended for performance (but will still finish in conformation) as they excel in it but there are not many who breed for it.
    I also handle aussies for a breeder. My aussie that I co-own with this breeder unfortunately has a slight mismark (white a little past the shoulder) so cannot do conformation, but does rally and agility. When she is bred next year, I intend to keep a pup of hers to get into aussies with.
    Aussies and Bostons are my thing and conformation takes a back seat to agility, but it is fun!

Here's a cute pic of one of my BT's at a USDAA agility trial:
    http://www.karenhocker.com/catalog/i...41511a_378.jpg
    If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago.
    ~George Morris
    Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2014