The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you show?

Who here shows any animal other than horses? Tell us about it!

I am looking forward to seeing responses to this thread. I am hoping to show my now 5-month old Doberman Pinscher in obedience and possibly try his paw at agility, too, in the future.

Obviously, we are a long ways away, as we are just working on our basic obedience class right now.

I breed and show dachshunds, I have been in the breed for almost 40 years. I also am an AKC judge of both dachshunds and Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

I used to only show in conformation, but have now started training and showing in Rally (I titled my first dachshund this year) and am starting two of my dogs in Canine Nosework.

I can tell you that because of my extensive dog showing, I do not care to show my horse all that often. I show a few times a year just to get a "read" on how my training is coming along with my mare...

WOW!!! Great timing!......Not to hijack .....but I am very interested in Dog showing. Whats involved? Is it as costly to show dogs as it is horses...at a more locally shows and at a ammy level? I am in Florida and the are tons of horse shows but what a dogs shows? or are they few and far in between? I showed dogs (Collies) as a kid but that was a long time ago. And transporting a dog would mean I didn't need a huge trailer (that Ill be paying for the rest of my life...lol) Reason I ask is it is getting to be too much to board and lessons and I have some health issue that have made riding a painful thing to do and I find that I am not riding much now because of it.

Sorry OP if I am hijaking but its kinda the same question.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    WOW!!! Great timing!......Not to hijack .....but I am very interested in Dog showing. Whats involved? Is it as costly to show dogs as it is horses...at a more locally shows and at a ammy level? I am in Florida and the are tons of horse shows but what a dogs shows? or are they few and far in between? I showed dogs (Collies) as a kid but that was a long time ago. And transporting a dog would mean I didn't need a huge trailer (that Ill be paying for the rest of my life...lol) Reason I ask is it is getting to be too much to board and lessons and I have some health issue that have made riding a painful thing to do and I find that I am not riding much now because of it.

Sorry OP if I am hijaking but its kinda the same question.....lol
    Don't worry about a hijack! I find dog showing really interesting.

Showing dogs is a lot cheaper! Just in gas alone.. You can find out what shows are in your area by going to www.akc.org and going to the "Events" tab.

The thing with showing dogs, in conformation, is that you only enter one class. If you win that class, you progress to the next. Some newcomers make the mistake of entering more than one class and they must win BOTH classes to progress to the next level.

For performance events, such as Rally, Obedience, you have to compete and get your title at one level, before you progress to the next.

There are a lot more dog shows than horse shows, at least in my experience. The average entry fee is about $30 per show. Of course, your dog has to be registered with AKC (if you are showing at AKC shows), but that is a one time cost that is good for the life of the dog. It is around $35.

MUCH CHEAPER than horse shows....

My Bullmastiff is shown by his breeder in confromation as an arrangement that we made when we acquired him.

I know I don't have a typical arrangement, so my costs are miniscule compared to some people. For most of the regional shows the entry fees are nothing compared to horse showing. Since mine is handled by his breeder, there are slightly different rates for those entries. Many people use a professional handler. The prices I have heard for a good one are .

My guy does not usually go far enough away that they spend the night. So no costs associated for that for us. Since I have no interest in continuing in dog showing once my guy has his AKC championship, I have not bothered to learn very much about all the little ins and outs. Basically for us, we meet his breeder at a show, he takes the dog in the ring (hopefully multiple times ) and then we take him home. If it is a weekend of shows, sometimes he will spend the night with his breeder, and we will pick him up the next day.

From what I have seen, the costs can really run the gamet, depending on your level of interest/commitment/disposible income. So, in that way, much like horse showing.

I do. I show in the conformation ring and I have a blast doing it! I show and breed Weimaraners (currently have 9 pups running around me as I type this) and German Shorthaired Pointers.

I would want to do my own handling and would like to do both confirmation and maybe some obedience or agility. Which there is a place very close to me who does agility..yay. I love horses but the reality of it is its cost so much for board and all that goes with that and then add the cost of lessons.....its alot. And with diesel at $4.18....makes me not want to haul out to lessons .... Not to mention some health issues and I just dont like to ride much and thought since I always loved dogs I would ask about what goes into showing dogs. So dog show peeps please chime in
    Thank you OP for posting you must have read my mind I was going to post something similar since we have this great new forum

Showed group and specialty winning Black and Tan Coonhounds in the mid-80s. (Yes, there really were a few around!)

I used to joke with my husband - be thankful we don't have horses - when he'd complain about showing expenses. . . now we actively compete in three equine sports: eventing, combined driving and polocrosse. . . and those show expenses seem like a pretty good deal!

I would want to do my own handling and would like to do both confirmation and maybe some obedience or agility. Which there is a place very close to me who does agility..yay. I love horses but the reality of it is its cost so much for board and all that goes with that and then add the cost of lessons.....its alot. And with diesel at $4.18....makes me not want to haul out to lessons .... Not to mention some health issues and I just dont like to ride much and thought since I always loved dogs I would ask about what goes into showing dogs. So dog show peeps please chime in
    Thank you OP for posting you must have read my mind I was going to post something similar since we have this great new forum
    Of course, you have to figure in your hotel, meals and gas when showing but that is with both horses and dogs. If you show yourself, rather than use a handler, it is way cheaper than horses, at least dressage..... I would suggest you start in Agility or Rally. Do you already have a breed or one in mind?

For conformation, some breeds are more "handler breeds" than others. For instance, German Shepherds, Boxers and Dobes are usually professionally handled as opposed to most hound breeds. We have A LOT of ex horse people who have gone to the dogs!!!

Yes, show obedience w/ our pound rescues.

BUT-really am I the ONLY one showing Chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    For conformation, some breeds are more "handler breeds" than others. For instance, German Shepherds, Boxers and Dobes are usually professionally handled as opposed to most hound breeds. We have A LOT of ex horse people who have gone to the dogs!!!
    Just curious, why is that? Are there specifics with the presentation that are hard to get down or do pros just tend to prefer those breeds?

My sister "adopted" an ex-show Dobe from the breeder. That dog was a dream to work with, she wanted to please sooo bad. She was almost too sensitive-a quiet No and her world would stop spinning for a minute.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Hi A dq
    I have a love of setter esp. the English. As a child a neighbor had two irish and would let me groom and take them for walks.... I fell in love.....They were the most beautiful and kind dogs. And ever since I have loved them. Then a few years ago I was able to be around English and omg! they have incredible personalities. So if I do try the Dog show route thats what I want to show.
    Is getting started hard? Is it ammy friendly sort of speak? What is the average cost of a show?

I don't show, but have a lot of friends who show Collies and worked/volunteered at Collie Nationals before. I love watching all the pretty dogs.

But like the horse show world, there are politics, so be aware of that. Dog show politics can make horse show politics look like a joke.

Some dogs are better in their breed rings (ie a friend had a wonderful Collie dog who did fabulous in the open rings against other breeds, but didn't always place well in the Collie specialty shows) and others are open dogs.

Some prefer to do other things than conformation because there is (or they feel that) less bias in rally, agility, or herding.
    Last edited by starrunner; Apr. 20, 2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo

Agree with previous post- lots of politics in the dog show world in conformation. I have a friend who shows Beagles and whoo boy let me tell you about how they will deliberately will show down dogs so one dog can get its Major. In the big shows it is all about who is at the end of the leash. If you want your dog to finish and go to Nationals you better plan on paying a handler and showing the heck out of the dog. For shows like Westminster your dog has got qualify and be in the top 10 in the nation.
    On the other hand performance classes and shows like agility and obediance and such are pretty much politics free- especially in agility where it is scored like jumpers- if you knock down a bar -no score, if your dog goes off course- no score, go over time -time faults. The neat thing is in agility you don't have to have a purebred dog to compete even in AKC now.
    I do agility with my Aussie and I"m hooked -it is a blast! One of the things that I have learned from this is looking at the course from the dogs perspective and it sure has given me new tools when I ride and work with my horse clients.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltc4h View Post
    Yes, show obedience w/ our pound rescues.

BUT-really am I the ONLY one showing Chickens.
    Nope. Had the best in show at our county fair once with a Mille Fleur d'uccle rooster. :-) But that was back in the day. I used to show rabbits (creme d'argents, tans and californians) and sheep (montadales and market lambs) too back then. Now I live in the desert and there's no shows for ANY of those things. I'd get back into rabbits in a heartbeat if there were!!
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

We don't do conformation shows, but we do performance events (Rally-O) and trials (herding.) I prefer performance events over conformation any day especially since our dogs don't fit the overly-feminine, dragging rear-end "fad" with German Shepherds. They do, however, fit European standards and will work themselves to near death unless you stop them.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Hi A dq
    I have a love of setter esp. the English. As a child a neighbor had two irish and would let me groom and take them for walks.... I fell in love.....They were the most beautiful and kind dogs. And ever since I have loved them. Then a few years ago I was able to be around English and omg! they have incredible personalities. So if I do try the Dog show route thats what I want to show.
    Is getting started hard? Is it ammy friendly sort of speak? What is the average cost of a show?
    Sure, you can show your own dog. I show my puppy; he's my 2nd show brittany and I handled the first for half of his career and had a pro do the rest because it is time consuming (much like horse shows). But definitely possible for an amateur.

However, the most important thing is the breeding, so you have to do your homework there. Out of one litter you may get one fabulous puppy, 4 excellent puppies, and 2 that are just not going to be finishable. How does the breeder know, and how likely is the outcome? Well....there are a lot of *ifs* in there, and you need to be prepared no matter how the dog turns out. (My 2nd dog outgrew the breed standard by over 2") You just never know.

With Setters you'll also have to factor in grooming, which is a big deal in long-coated breeds. If you are lucky, you can find a good breeder who also grooms/handles so you can tag-along and get help (this is what I do). My breeder only lives a few minutes from me but is one of the best in the country - I lucked out big time!

And yes, there are politics. But at the class level (non-champion), you'll also find a lot of just decent dogs being shown by breeders & owners, not just pros. Sure, you might not win like they do, but the cards are not always stacked against amateurs. Professionals really are good at their job, not just "known" by judges.

Find a show in your area and go watch. See if you can get a chance to talk to the owners/handlers of the breeds you like (check the schedule and find them well before their class time or AFTER their class time) so they will have time to talk. From my experience, most of them are really friendly and willing to take the time to discuss their breed with show spectators, as long as you don't ask them while they are waiting ring-side for their class. Find the grooming area and go look around.

I'm finding it interesting that most of the replys are about showing dogs in confirmation! I'd be interested to see if there is a parallel between what side of dog sports you do with what horse sports you do!

There are lots of active sports you can do with your dogs from Rally, Flying Discs, Agility, Tracking, Lure Coursing, Herding, Hunting, and on and on! Some of these dog sports are limited to certain breeds by the AKC.

I've found many Eventers are into Agility. It's active, the rules are similar (run clean, run fast, and have a good time) and requires a good relationship with your dog. I've found that training for agility is not dissimilar to training a horse. Most of the dog trainers I've met just actually have words to discribe the process! As a dog handler, you have less control over the dog then a horse!