The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Several years ago, I owned a very sensitive mare I was having issues with. On the recommendation of an acquaintance, I took her to a trainer at a nearby boarding facility for a month. The guy ended up being a heavy-handed brute and could barely ride the mare around the arena, so I told him to lay off, and spent the rest of my month riding her myself. Was minding my own business riding in the ring one day, as I watched a woman who apparently had no clue how to steer her horse, come trotting up behind my mare. As I turned back in the saddle to tell her my horse might kick, she proceeded to plow right into my horse's hindquarters. My mare spun around, and I was dumped in the dirt...since I was basically facing backwards. There was another trainer in the ring at the time...of course, she didn't see the nitwit run into me...only me on the ground. I was SO pissed and embarrassed - first and only time I ever came off the mare, issues and all.

On a somewhat funnier note...during my wrangler days, I was riding bareback leading another horse back to the pasture at the end of the day. The led horse suddenly balked and pulled me right off. I landed hard on my arse...in front of a group of 'dudes' waiting to go on a hay ride.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

Does it have to be off the horse? This one isn't... pony had a float done and after turnout I noticed she was trying very hard to graze, but could not chew. Dentist came back to check it out. When she asked me to offer hay I went in the stall pad in front of me and forgot I had a warm water bucket on the ground - went right over it - face plant! in front of everyone. it wasn't graceful, but didn't knock over the water and landed 2 inches from a fresh poop pile

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ddb View Post
    Does it have to be off the horse? This one isn't... pony had a float done and after turnout I noticed she was trying very hard to graze, but could not chew. Dentist came back to check it out. When she asked me to offer hay I went in the stall pad in front of me and forgot I had a warm water bucket on the ground - went right over it - face plant! in front of everyone. it wasn't graceful, but didn't knock over the water and landed 2 inches from a fresh poop pile
    That one is hard to beat.

We had a dogie foal that grew into a handsome gelding, but one that loved to pull pranks on you.
    One was, when you got your foot in the stirrup to mount and he was kind of tall, then he would carefully place his left hoof on your toe and keep you there, one foot up, one down and would bump you with his shoulder, like a yoga move.

Someone else was coming to help brand calves and got the pleasure to ride him, a very gentle horse.
    I warned the cowboy about some of his tricks, including the foot one, but I guess he didn't listen, because looking over, I saw the horse pull that on him and the fellow measured his lenght on the ground.

He did say a few words about the horse's ancestry, grinned, got on carefully and had a wonderful ride after that.

I was all of 13 years old. My barn was at a local show and I was riding in a flat class. A bee stung my horse, bucking ensued, I ate dirt. Assistant trainers son was there and we had just started "going out". I was so embarrassed. To make matters worse about 45 minutes later show management started walking to all the rings screaming my name and trainers name. The whole barn, including asst trainers son all gathered around to see what was going on. They gave me an "honorable mention" ribbon, asked me to hold it and pose for pictures. I was mortified, but went along with it. Then about two weeks later the local bridle and bit came out with the show pictures on the front page including the pic of me, all dirty holding my ribbon, with a nice little blurb inside about how I ate it. Trainer saw it, cut it out of the paper and hung it up in the barn. The embarrassment I felt over that fall never seemed to end lol.

Probably my most embarrassing fall was when I first moved to my current barn. I was riding in the indoor, and asked the trainer who was giving a lesson if she minded if I hopped over some little jumps a couple times. She said it was fine, so I picked an outside line of puny little x's and trotted in. There's another barn aisle at the far end of the indoor - it opens right into the ring. Someone was throwing hay bales down right inside the door, and the out jump of my tiny line was right next to the door. My horse heard or saw the hay bales and stopped at the out jump. And I just tipped right off! He didn't stop dirty. He just sort of fizzled out, pricked his ears staring at the hay bales, and off I went. It was beyond embarrassing because there is absolutely no reason I should've fallen. I don't know what the hell I was doing up there!

I also fell trying to mount bareback, but no one saw it. And actually, I laugh hysterically every time I remember it. It was the middle of Jan so I was bundled up in about 14 layers. I led my horse to the mounting block and he swung his hips out a little. No biggie, I thought. I can jump. Ha. I jumped with a tad too little oomph and ended up sort of on and sort of not. While I was trying to finangle my way the rest of the way up, my horse started walking away. Still convinced I could do this, I kept hanging on. Horse was getting annoyed at the human clinging him to like a spider monkey and started to trot. That's when I decided to give up and landed in a heap. Really I'm glad no one saw this - I'm sure I looked ridiculous.

I was at mini trial with Tru a few years back, I was probably like 16. It was most likely our third, or maybe even second mini trial ever. 2'-2'3 divsion. Worst. Show. Ever.

Long story short, if began in dressage warm up when an Amish buggy went piddling by on the road. I did not know this. The road was, in fact, not even near the warm up area. I was just suddenly chucked on the ground and then looking around for what on earth scared Tru so much.... little buggy is creaking by dozens of yards away. You couldn't even hear it. Meanwhile, Tru is just standing there, not knowing what to do since his pilot is no longer with him and looking rather embarrassed because he knew I really wasn't supposed to be sitting on the ground. So I'm sitting on the ground giving my horse the stink eye and he's just standing perfectly standing perfectly still waiting for me and this woman, who is literally just yards away in the warm up area starts screaming "Loose horse! Loose horse!" Tru just looks at her and looks at me, still not budging. The woman just stood there screaming until I got up and took his reins... as if he was going anywhere to begin with.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

1 members found this post helpful.

My most embarassing fall was thankfully when I was alone. My mare has a bad habit of moving off as soon as you mount. So I was hopping up to mount and she moved off as I was getting up there and ended up going over the other side of her and into the dirt. I was not amused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

It was my first (and only!) time at a show. I entered a cavaletti class just for fun. They were at the lowest setting, mere inches above the ground. Easy, right? I trotted pony up to the first "jump", he came to a slow stop and I slid right over his left shoulder.

Thankfully I went on to win/place in the other classes, so I redeemed myself!

My most embarrassing fall happened about two years ago.

Earlier that day I had ridden the 3 year old ottb over his very first jumps. They were tiny cross rails and flower boxes and such. All went perfectly fine. Trainer had me hop on a bratty medium pony next. I put my stirrups up a few holes, jump her around the tiny course with ugly stops bucking, the whole nine yards. I stay on perfectly fine.

I decide to get on my saintly children's hunter and just play around with him. I forgot that my stirrups were two holes shorter and when I went to jump him over one of the tiny jumps I leaned up his neck and he chipped. He crashed through the whole jump, and I was slo-mo falling off of his neck. This was all in front of a beginner's lesson.

My hubby had traded for a fat, sqatty half QH, hal appy mre. She was broke but not really trained. Hubby wasn't home one day and I thought I'd just hop on bareback. But first I called a neighbor, meaning just keep an eye out and listen for screams.

Well, the neighbor misunderstood and came over with her hubby and lawn chairs. She literally took I wanted her to watch me ride.

So, I bounded up on the mare and rode around a bit, then we'd talk and more riding.

So, the time came to hop off. I slid to the side...and couldn't find the ground. The horse was short but couldn't feel the ground. But I was so far over that I couldn't scramble back up.

Finally, I just fell like a rock on the ground. Then, after a second of shock, I started laughing. Was soooo embarrassed! The mare stood ther looking at me like "Yup, another idiot now owns me."

I got up and sheepishly put her away.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Most embarrassing fall for me was the first time showing my jumper mare. We were in a 3ft Eq Medal as a filler/warming up and I was super nervous. She stopped to the first fence because I stopped riding lol. Fell right off onto my feet. I was mortified, and my trainer screaming into the ring "what the f*** was that?!" didn't help!

When I was a working pupil, I was quite cocky about my jumping abilities, especially when it came to XC and boasting to my boyfriend. He was also a WP and had never done XC before so I felt I had one up on him. (He was an amazing dressage rider!) For our first lesson of the spring, I was assigned a pony I had jumped a million times before so I was very confident that I could show dear BF "how it was done". I was promptly launched over the first fence I attempted (a teeny tiny brush fence). I remounted, gave the pony a bit more kick that he thought he deserved, was damn near bucked off, and then was promptly tossed over the fence AGAIN. It was great. The instructor was laughing, BF was laughing, all my friends were laughing, I think even the pony was laughing. Needless to say, my ego took a well deserved beating that day.

My most embarassing fall happened years ago.

Hunter show at my home barn. All my friends in attendance. He was going beautifully and I was sure of a clean round. Last jump of the course. Slid into it, throwing me over his head completely clearing the jump. Didn't touch it. I sat up and looked at my honest Quarter Horse on the other side of the jump, while he finished his poop.

The time my BFF's arabian mare spooked and sent me sailing through the air in a teeny red and black polka dotted bikini.. hit the dirt hard flat on my back.

Bareback, Barefoot.helmetless and trying to show off for teen boys fishing at the pond next to the arena.

I was prob 15 or 16 and believe my face was as red as that bathing suit!
    "Sport N Curls"
    Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
    www.seldomcreek.com

My most embarrassing time was just 2 months ago. I was jumping a 14.2 hand pony. Was in la la land and so pony ran out at a fence and I flew off the side. The landing was worse. I was literally spread eagle on my stomach. My trainer, who is 13 years my junior, could not stop laughing. And it went on and on. I had to catch pony and re mount with him still laughing. Yup, I used to gallop racehorses and was actually pretty good. Now I'm amusement for people much younger than me.

And last week I wasn't even on a horse but managed to land flat on my arse while setting up jumps. Thank god it was only at home and not a show. His dad was there this time and a picture was taken. Again the laughter never stopped. Trainer had to pull up said horse, my own mare actually, and get over his laughter. Another thank god because neither of them have Facebook and don't really do the Internet so picture will not be going mainstream!

Sometimes I do wonder how I've managed to do as well as I have around horses.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by SportNCurls View Post
    The time my BFF's arabian mare spooked and sent me sailing through the air in a teeny red and black polka dotted bikini.. hit the dirt hard flat on my back.

Bareback, Barefoot.helmetless and trying to show off for teen boys fishing at the pond next to the arena.

I was prob 15 or 16 and believe my face was as red as that bathing suit!

My favourite!

Terri

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I do have another fun one. It was when I first moved to Ireland. I got a jib galloping down the road. So different from back home as I had to tack up my own and everyone else could just jump up. I came from the land of grooms and leg ups. So I was the slow new girl, actually only girl and one of the other riders always had to wait to leg me up.

So on my second day they were already annoyed with the prima donna. I had finally finished tacking up to find everyone was already heading to the gallops. I figured since these big ole national hunt horses were used to people hopping up that my climbing up would be fine.

Well it so wasn't! Foot in iron and about to sling my body over when horse takes off across the yard to join his buddies. Even he was annoyed with my slowness. Hung on for dear life until we hit grassy patch. Then I flung myself to the ground. Landed right in front of trainer and the team. Well they all had a good laugh at me I tell ya. And rightly so! What a numpty! I just wanted to die!

Terri

Medal finals, 2nd to last jump, and the ONLY time I ever fell off my equitation horse. Need I say more?

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    Medal finals, 2nd to last jump, and the ONLY time I ever fell off my equitation horse. Need I say more?
    Similar to that one, five of us in the jump-off, three went, I am making a blazing run on a horse that has been known to crash and burn, but is going super this day.

One more long turn to a big oxer uphill, tricky, you got to get your horse just right to it.
    That oxer doesn't take prisioners, several knocked it down already and just two more easy jumps behind it.

My horse sails over it, stretching just to the end of his scope and landing on that grabby, slightly uphill grass, stubs a toe and stumbles down to his knees and nose, scrambles back up as I just finally tumble off in front of him.
    He barely misses me as he gets back to his feet and gallops happily off.

Going thru the ingate to retrieve my horse, I overheard one BNT say, so everyone hears it, "that kid is promising."
    Hey, I am a trainer and instructor already, if very young, just not that young, but at 98 lbs, 4'11", the hem of my coat touching the top of my boots, miffied right after falling off, I do look like a little Thelwell kid walking around.

I have 2.
    First one I was 13, it was a WP class and we just got asked to come off the rail into the middle of the arena. Now I would love to tell you some hob goblin came out of the stands and spooked my 1/2 dead mount out of his "jog" but I would be lying. For some reason that turn, yes that slow easy turn was just too much for me to handle and off I went right off the right shoulder. I must have been channeling my inner Eventer though cause I hung onto the reins. Adding insult to injury said mount just stood there looking at me like I was the biggest idiot on the face of the planet. Announcer was nice too he even announced. "Well folks looks like we got a rodeo in the beginner class, but she seems to be okay." Of course everyone rushed to see the Sparkly Western Princess all covered in dirt walking out of the class.
    #2, many many years later I am standing in the arena about to hop up bareback off of a mounting block. I am old and creaky and know better than to not get a leg up especially when said mount is much taller than the ponies I prefer. Saintly horse stands there as I come up with the idea to swing right leg over and then jump up... Yeah jump and land square on my back on the block. Snotty teen holding horse is laughing at me, trainer is laughing, I am too and in true equine humor said mare sighs heavily and pops a foot knowing it'll take me a bit to get up and try again.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.