The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default stiffening up draft cart

We have a draft (breaking or training) cart similar to the following http://www.robertcarriages.com/carri...cise-cart.html. Are there any ideas out there on making the ride a little stiffer? It is fine on smoother surfaces but a little bouncy on rough. Thanks for any ideas. We had thought about putting a coil spring under the C shaped spring under the seat
    The other female in my husband's life has four legs

I'm interested in anyones ideas here as well, as I've experienced the "oop, that was a rock" in these bouncy two-wheelers as well Luckily pulled by a Belgian that wasn't going too fast

Otherwise I'm not entirely sure what you can do to make the ride more smooth short of adding shocks to it

We'd thought about adding the elliptical leaf springs like our wooden wheeled carts have .... but there just isn't enough room if we add them on each side (where the "C" springs are)

In my opinion "a little bouncy" is an understatement! I end up riding on the front of the seat so it won't bounce so much. I'm spoiled and love our large wooden wheeled carts. But we want to drive in sandy areas like the Moss Foundation and H Cooper Black and the wooden wheels create a lot of work for the horses.

Kenny and our trainer say that the cart is really not that bad (I groan and roll my eyes). You can call me spoiled!

Not sure exactly what you mean. Is the bouncy from the spring to the seat, or the whole cart reacting to a dip or lump you drive over? Bounding in the air from tires on up?

With the cart shown, you get a little cushion from the air-filled tires. But if the spring under seat just makes you LEAP in the air for every rock you drive over, maybe taking spring off and putting blocks under seat would work best. Then you would be just cushioned with tires and padding in the seat.

You could try that block trick, see if that is what you want for a ride in the cart. You would probably want wood blocks, two longer ones put where the springs are fastened. Cheap, fast, easy, and the same to undo, if you don't like the change in ride.

There just aren't a lot of options with those kind of vehicles.

The cart is bouncy from the C spring under the seat. Which is why we'd thought of replacing the C spring with something else.

THANKS for the wooden block idea ... as you say, easy to do and un-do if we don't like it.

We appreciate any ideas (and love the cheap ones!)