The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FEI trainers in Jacksonville?

Hi!

It looks like I may be moving to Jacksonville, Florida soon. I am very worried about finding a new trainer. My horse is a nice 10 year old Hanoverian that is ready to go!! He has really good half steps, decent pirouettes (he's getting much stronger) and awesome half passes. He does not have passage or piaffe yet. The horse is very sensitive and needs to trust his trainer. If he feels trapped, he will react (he can bolt when pushed prematurely) But he is willing and a wonderful horse, but I have to train the brain, if you know what I mean. So...long story short, are there any FEI trainers in Jacksonville that have not just ridden the grand prix, but have trained horses to it sucessfully? I went to the GMO but didn't find anything that stood out. I would love it if you guys could help me. I'm a bit freaked about leaving at this stage in my horse's training. He's just doing so well under our current program.

thanks!

Does your current trainer know anyone in the area that they can recommend?

You may want to look south of Jacksonville, in Clay county.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Its a bit of a drive from Jacksonville, but the Poulin family trains at their farm in Deleon Springs.

Valhalla is an hour or so from Jax (depending on where you would be living in Jax - it is a BIG area). Erin Brinkman has trained that as well as the current trainer there Iris Eppinger (I believe) and Iris' sister comes from Germany on a regular basis too....
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

My trainer recommended you looking at USDF website - Region 3.
    You will find all the certified Trainers there, then you may call them and you also can also ask who they would recommend to you (in case nobody is really nearby).
    Good Luck!
    Classical Horsemanship

You can start with these that are in Greater Jax area, then move down to the Ocala area also.

Christine Cramer : ccdressage.com
    Kathy Daly : KDequine.com
    Pierre Cousyn : Cousyn Dressage
    Liessett Jurgens : Trumpeteer Dressage
    Suzanne Graham: Whitelock Farm
    Babette : Mane Event Equestrain Center

There are a couple of others I can't think of off the top of my head. I'll ask my trainer here if she can think of others.

I'm in the same boat moving north east CT in a couple of months !
    Good luck it's a crazy process IMO
    Last edited by Snoball 1; Apr. 20, 2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: added info.

good ones above

Don't forget:

Brian McMahon-USDF bronze, silver, and gold

Shea Walsh-USDF bronze silver and gold (also rode in the Olympics-Korea)

Greta Wrigley: gretawrigleytraining.com
    Petra Wilder: spellboundfarms.com
    Sharon Jerdeman:sjerdemandressage.com
    Bill Woods:woodsdressage.com.

Chrissa Hoffmann, www.cfh-dressage.com is moving to Ocala. USDF Bronze, Silver and Gold Medalist. Has trained 4 horses to Grand Prix.

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    Valhalla is an hour or so from Jax (depending on where you would be living in Jax - it is a BIG area). Erin Brinkman has trained that as well as the current trainer there Iris Eppinger (I believe) and Iris' sister comes from Germany on a regular basis too....
    I ride with Iris's sister Bärbel here in Germany It's a very competent and capable family! Bärbel has a lot of GP experience and Iris is getting there with the stallion she rides- Stiletto.

Default Erin Brinkman

I second Valhalla. Erin Brinkman is fabulous.

Her website is spicadressage.com and I think Valhallas is valhallatrakehners.com but you can google it.

I think Kathy Daly lives in Tallahassee, I see her around the shows. We're 2+ hours from Jax.

I read a name that's worth googling - Erika Machtinger of Tangerine Sporthorses. I don't know her credentials but I know she travels as far as Valdosta. Worth a look.
    Iron Star Equestrian

Heels Down, Eyes Up, Plan Ahead

Yes, Valhalla's website is: http://valhallatrakehner.com/
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

My vote would go to Erin too. She is a very gifted , patient and warm teacher and a very good rider too.

I wish I was closer (3 hours) and could work more often with her.
    Iris is awesome too so is her sister.

Erin is very good with the work in hand and she has taught many, many horses to piaffe and passage. She has rehabed many horses with fried brains too.

For the type of horse you are talking about, she is the trainer I would work with.

Default Jax

Please check your PM's
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Another vote for Valhalla. I have only done clinics with Iris Eppinger, but she is a true gem! I know from second-hand experience that Erin Brinkman and Baerbel Eppinger are fantastic as well.

Wow thanks!! I've been crazy busy and haven't checked this thread in a few days. Looks like I have a lot to check out! I'm really not sure exactly when I'm moving yet, but I am just trying to prepare myself for the change. Thank you all so, so much.

Default another for Valhalla

I highly recommend Valhalla. My husband and I ride with both Erin and Iris and have had horses in training with both of these ladies. Both are wonderfully easy to work with, warm and generous in their training and experienced with all levels of horses and riders.

In training at Valhalla, your horse will have the utmost in care and that care is very individualized for each horse.

We travel a long way to train and ride with them -- all the way from Arkansas -- difficult for us and expensive for our budget -- 15-16 hours each way -- but it's well worth it.