The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Now This is a Bomb Proof Horse!

Look at this horse 35 seconds and 2:10 into the video. Wow!

http://youtu.be/F4HZhxVAjXk
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Seriously "unflappable"... I'm pulling out my tarp now!

Wow that must be a lot of hard work on that mare .
    More amazing, they seems to have quite a few videos like this with several horses.

Do they have internships??
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Not surprising that it's from Valley View. They seem to be pretty popular for really broke family and trail horses.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I loved that.

I want!

You don't need a barn for that one, just but the tarp over it at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

No reason for most if not all horses to be this safe....most owners/trainers just don't put in the work (and in most cases it doesn't take that long!). Wish I could post a photo of a two year old with two hours of total work time on him from barely haltered to standing saddled, bridled, balloons tied to him and umbrella open over him. Really does NOT take that much work. Have done "hot" horses as well....over fed halter types, TB's, Arabs etc. Lots of fun to do.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Not only is she well broke she's built like a brick shit house! Well put together stock type mare (maybe a little fat)! Nice big feet on that mare!

For you or your horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post

Do they have internships??
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    You don't need a barn for that one, just but the tarp over it at night!

I NEED HER for my fiance!!! AHHH!

And I also want to start doing that stuff with my pony... he's a tolerant soul LOL. Though I think he'd just walk away and explore if I got off him and climbed a tree!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    No reason for most if not all horses to be this safe....most owners/trainers just don't put in the work (and in most cases it doesn't take that long!). Wish I could post a photo of a two year old with two hours of total work time on him from barely haltered to standing saddled, bridled, balloons tied to him and umbrella open over him. Really does NOT take that much work. Have done "hot" horses as well....over fed halter types, TB's, Arabs etc. Lots of fun to do.
    A horse that doesn't react is not necessarily safe.

Not saying this is what you do, but ...
    The truly hot horses I've seen that have been desensitized and are this unreactive have simply shut down. For some horses, is it not in their nature to NOT react. That doesn't mean they react in a dangerous way -- they just notice everything and comment on it with their bodies.

Other horses, like the 2 y.o. you mentioned, are quiet by nature to begin with. Good handling and training can energize the sleepyheads and calm down the hotheads. But you can't make them interchangeable. IMO

PS -- why do people find it necessary to STAND on a horse's back? I just cringe every time I see that.

Quote Originally Posted by JBCool View Post
    For you or your horse?
    Oh for me for sure!!

My mare did not get desensitizing training when she was a foal, when I first bought her she used to shiver from just being brought into the barn...

I'm sure these guys are good but I've seen her try to go through walls at the sight of a plastic bag, I wouldn't want to see them try to tarp her!

(Not that I haven't been, it's just been a slow multi-year process... MUCH easier when they are babies!!!)
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Incredible! I second the "every horse should be able to do this" remark, just like very horse should be able to ride without tack. It's a matter of putting in the time and effort. Not that completely "dead broke" horses are entirely safe necessarily. I can think of a few instances when the "flight" reaction would be more beneficial than the "stand there patiently" reaction.

Overall a useful tool in case of emergency (hoof stuck in fence, preventing horse from running through fence when plastic bag tries to eat it, get caught in wire, etc)

Great video thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    The truly hot horses I've seen that have been desensitized and are this unreactive have simply shut down. For some horses, is it not in their nature to NOT react. That doesn't mean they react in a dangerous way -- they just notice everything and comment on it with their bodies.

My guess is one that just shuts down has not been handled correctly....you absolutely need to be able to read the amount of exposure a horse can deal with and just how far you can push without causing an explosion or a shut down. It can be a fine line but it is there and if you cross it you will have a horse that may not react but is also not relaxed and comfortable. I've seen some pushed too hard and yes, it does cause problems. I've never worked with one though that could not be desensitized if done correctly.

And I really don't see the "stand on the horse" thing either...first of all, how often in your life have you had to do that or wished you could (my answer...once...with my old cutting horse....dropped a rein on the ground to ground tie, climbed out of the saddle and up/over the rail at an indoor arena to get a hamburger and drink...horse stood ground tied until I got back, climbed back over and sat down in saddle, set food on the concrete next to the horse, picked up the rein and laid it around the horn, picked up my dinner and rode off on leg cues. Just wanted to know I could.)
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Standing on your horse is standard in vaulting and trick riding and that is some of the background there, not just to show off.

You may notice not all their horses are that quiet, they just work with the horse as it comes to them, show it to it's best depending on what the horse is and what market that horse fits in and do an excellent job of it, moving horses quickly and standing behind, not just ON them , as much as someone may in their situation as an agent for sellers and buyers.
    If they find holes in a horse, they won't represent it without disclosing that and they test them thoroughly, as you can see there.

Some stables geared to helping you sell your horse are better, some worse, they are one of the better ones around and have a large client base, that area they work in very active in all kinds of things you may do with horses.

They also have a regular riding center, kids they take to shows, playdays, pennings, barrel races, some vaulting at times, whatever is going around and have camps and help a handicapped program, for what their website tells.

At :35, I thought we were playing "find the horse in this picture" lol
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    dropped a rein on the ground to ground tie, climbed out of the saddle and up/over the rail at an indoor arena to get a hamburger and drink...horse stood ground tied until I got back, climbed back over and sat down in saddle, set food on the concrete next to the horse, picked up the rein and laid it around the horn, picked up my dinner and rode off on leg cues. Just wanted to know I could.)
    Neat trick!

The two horses I was thinking of that shut down were pushed way too far. Both Arabs, both handled by a guy who was used to "riding down/wearing down" stock horses. It was not a good match.

I've had my own hot potato since he was born. He's desensitized to a lot of things -- tarps (but I haven't covered him up with one) guns (I ride near a trap shooting range), trains and noisy heavy equipment at close quarters, motorcycles, just about anything we've encountered a few times, he can handle.

But ... last spring, the barn manager put a water tank near the entrance to the trails. We were bopping along, getting ready to head out on the trails when he planted all four feet and did the snoooooooooorrrrrrrttttt thing. You would have thought it was a grizzly bear.

I worked him in the vicinity for 30 minutes before I could get him to walk past it. It took 2 weeks to get him to walk up TO it.

Last week, they put the tank out again and I was all prepared for THE REACTION and ... nothing. He's over it. That was sooooooo last year.

But he's the kind of hot/reactive horse I was talking about. He notices everything. You can reason with him when he's buzzed, but you have to give him time to process and he will never be what you'd call bombproof horse. Because there are just too many different kinds of "bombs" in the world.

WOW

HAHAHA..mean mom here...I just linked this to my FB page, and told my daughter it was for her benefit, and that if she can get her/our gelding to do this, I'd pay full grad school (she's graduating undergrad in early may) AND buy her a new BMW!
    (Tarps are death...DEATH to this horse)
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett