The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Santa Cruz offspring

I have a friend with a 5 year old, coming 6 filly by this stallion. was wondering what kind of qualities are passed on through him? He was bred to a nice tb mare and the filly scored a 7.9 at the inspection.. she has a great temperament we already know that. she has been started under saddle only about 4 months ago..Does he produce more dressage or eventers or hunters?
    thanks
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Santa Cruz produces versatility. He has a lot of horses in the hunters and also produces a lot of horses that love to jump. One thing universal with his offspring is temperament! I do think it of course depends on the mare type and ability also. He himself was an amazing dressage type who also had a great jump!!!! And to this day is a loveable ham! Just saw him about 2 weeks ago, still gorgeous and looks like he is 10.

It varies!
    My current TB mare (Bold Ruler/Native Dancer bred) had 2 foals by SC. The first was top 10 at Dressage at Devon as a yearling in hand so dressage type. He sold as a yearling and I don't know what he did after that so can't say as to how his temperment/trainabity ended up. Her next filly had done dressage up to 4th level and a little local low level eventing. Since her owner has kept in touch I do know how her temperment came out: she can have quite the tude when she does not feel like doing something (and a goodly spin to go with it) but she is very bold about hacking out alone or over fences. Her owner said she could probably aim higher for eventing as far as the horses talent goes but her owner does not want to jump very big things so that is more of an owner restriction. What the dam needed improvement on: she is a typical TB in that her neck could be set on higher. Cruz did give all her offspring a consistently better neck set. Her gaits are flatter hunter type, her kids I would say got moderate suspension. Mare has the Bold Ruler tude herself.
    Another SC mare I have here is out of my WB mare (For The Future). Her dam was bombproof quiet/born broke sort. She is very sensitive (in both the good and bad ways...sensitive to the leg and nervous) and has had the biggest spook known to mankind. She took until she was 8 years old until taking her away from home to a show or pace event was not a death wish. Can't tell ya for sure where it came from, just that her momma was not that way. She is physically capable of jumping well (as was her momma)...just that momma was brave to the jumps and she is not. She jumps well at home in a ring she knows over jumps she has seen. She is a nervous jumper away from home....spooks at the jumps. I took her to a hunter pace last year. Every jump she saw she balked at once, I took her up to it, let her look at it and tried again she then she went over it. For a fun show/ hunter pace that is OK to school. Not a great trait in a horse intended as a show jumper. She has a big roadhorse trot, but her dam did too. Her dam needed a better canter and a better (higher) set on neck. He again improved on the neck set, did not improve the canter. She got her mommas canter. Basically the mare looks like Cruz's head and neck planted on her dams "rest of the body".
    I sold another TB mare in foal to SC. This was a hotter tempered TB mare with fab uphill build. She was a former pony club event horse that went to PC nationals...so she had a decent jump (as well as a fearless kid that rode her). She got a premium score at inspection. The filly was sweet but a bit fiesty in temperment too but from what I hear an UL dressage prospect as well.

Other folks I know with SC offspring: one is a nice sweet quiet hunter o/o a TB mare, one is out of a small WB mare is quite the spitfire (sensitive sort) under saddle. A third o/o a WB mare showed very successfully in hand in dressage breeding (Devon etc) so dressage type. She seemed calm enough in hadn but was sold before doing anything under saddle so I don't know what she was like to ride either.
    Edited to add: remembered one more...nice mid level (and level headed) mare that is a mid level dressage horse. Her human momma does not jump much so don't know how she does in that direction.
    All in all I think most of them can jump half decently. I would not really count on him to be a calming influence on a hotter mare.
    Last edited by camohn; Apr. 20, 2011 at 08:30 PM.

The mare has an unflappable personality. Nothing scares her. Not cows, trains, planes..she even played soccer and was kicking the ball around. The only issue is if a horse comes up behind her. she was terrorized by a rather large gelding at another facility and this is the residual issue. She is by a nice mare that state Dinner is her father. We are hoping she has the talent to event, maybe up to prelim...
    she has a vert sweet puppy dog personality, always happy to see you....

We just do not hear a lot about him and was wondering...
    thanks

I have a Santa Cruz 4 year old filly on my farm. She is sweet and willing as they come. Really nice hindend and use of hindleg. very nice trot with good suspension but not a lot of knee action. Very nice walk, if I could I would like to see a bit better canter as it is a bit flat. I can't say enough about her temperament - first to come and meet you in the pasture and pretty much easy in everyway and laid back. She is not a big horse although her dam was over 16 hands she is currently only 15.2 hands.

Http://www.serendipitysporthorses.com

serendipity farm- i tried to watch your videos but none of them came up....

Hello Ivy,

Yes, I know, Yahoo video pulled all videos on their site... I'm in the process of switching all of them over to youtube. You can see videos of her if you search Serendipitysporthors on youtube. remember - no "e" as the username was too long