The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stubben Edelweiss as eventing saddle

Looking for opinions from eventers riding in a Stubben Edelweiss CS close contact saddle for XC and/or stadium at Prelim or lower level. "This saddle features a soft, half-deep seat, layered padded fronts (to better mold around the legs), and a small block" Thanks!

I love mine! We're talking low stuff, but I adore it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I absolutely love Stubben and most of their products, but I was not a fan of my Edelweiss. I bought it new, and while I was breaking it in, I found it very slippery and hard to hold a position in. I just chalked it up to being new, and toughed it out until it was more broken in. Unfortunately, I came to realize that no amount of breaking in was going to make it better. I've ridden in a lot of saddles and have never had an issue, even if the saddle was far to large/small for me. In the edelweiss, my leg would slide back significantly over fences (and I come from an equitation background so my leg usually does not move an inch!), and my upper body tended to get pitched forward as well. It had very slippery flaps no matter what I did with it, and the balance was just off. There is no way I would have felt comfortable jumping around XC in it, even low levels. Hardly felt comfortable riding on the flat! It did fit both me and my horse perfectly size wise- I was very sad when I had to sell it since it just wasn't working!

It was a lovely made saddle for the price though, and I've heard other people say good things about it. I suppose I just got unlucky. If it works for you, it definitely would be a competent lower level saddle.

My friend has one and I catch rode a horse in it. I found it comfortable and it didn't get in my way or hinder my position at all. That being said, the flap would not be forward enough for me for my regular jumping saddle. I'm sure it would be fine, but it wouldn't be my preference.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Default other stubben recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by tbsplease View Post
    I absolutely love Stubben and most of their products, but I was not a fan of my Edelweiss. I bought it new, and while I was breaking it in, I found it very slippery and hard to hold a position in. I just chalked it up to being new, and toughed it out until it was more broken in. Unfortunately, I came to realize that no amount of breaking in was going to make it better. I've ridden in a lot of saddles and have never had an issue, even if the saddle was far to large/small for me. In the edelweiss, my leg would slide back significantly over fences (and I come from an equitation background so my leg usually does not move an inch!), and my upper body tended to get pitched forward as well. It had very slippery flaps no matter what I did with it, and the balance was just off. There is no way I would have felt comfortable jumping around XC in it, even low levels. Hardly felt comfortable riding on the flat! It did fit both me and my horse perfectly size wise- I was very sad when I had to sell it since it just wasn't working!

It was a lovely made saddle for the price though, and I've heard other people say good things about it. I suppose I just got unlucky. If it works for you, it definitely would be a competent lower level saddle.
    Thanks for the honest evaluation.

I had one... Loved it. ONLY reason I sold it was because there was no way it was going to work on my mare. I took it XC and it was great - nice and grippy. The kid I sold it to events in it...

Keep in mind I got it used and beautifully broken in.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

tbsplease
    Did you have the CS or the NT?
    Deluxe or regular?

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    tbsplease
    Did you have the CS or the NT?
    Deluxe or regular?
    I had the regular cs.

I started eventing in an Edelweiss and it was ok but I really wouldn't recommend it for anything over novice. I remember trainers making me jump down little drops over and over because I couldn't hold my position, but then the first time I sat in a Devoucoux or Prestige it was like a lightbulb went off. Wow! I don't suck this bad! It's my saddle!

I did a couple of trainings in it but I wouldn't do it again. It's just not secure enough to me. I prefer something with a little more "stick" and more of a knee roll to keep my leg in the correct position. Plus the flap really isn't forward enough for XC. FYI I bought mine from a former hunter very used and broken in, so that definitely wasn't an issue. If you have the money and want to go training/prelim, I'd keep looking. No way in heck I'd run prelim in it for sure!

I haven't ridden in one, but I would tend to lean more to the Genesis S model. It has a slightly deeper seat without going so deep as the Roxane, but has more flap and a little more of a thigh block to get into on a bigger drop. I was ready to try one, but could not find one with a long enough flap and tree size to fit me and my horse.
    Last edited by WNT; Apr. 19, 2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Wrong model tag
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

I bought one in the Black Friday sale this past Thanksgiving. It's an NT Deluxe.

To its credit, I have stuck in it through my horses many airborne moments over the winter. I bought it to replace an M. Toulouse Premia that no longer fit my horse and the leather on the Stubben is not nearly as grippy as the Toulouse, BUT the Stubben on a whole is much better quality, and much better balanced than the Premia was. It puts me into a pretty good position and I feel secure in it, but I know some of the XC saddles encourage a more forward leg, and I'd want to have my leg out in front of me more than the Edelweiss lets me if I were jumping huge XC fences.

Another thing I like about it is that while I spent a lot of time gripping with my knees in the Premia, it's almost impossible for me to ride like that in this Stubben. It makes me open up my hip angle and sit back and put my lower leg (and not my knee) on my horse (which I'm sure she really appreciates). Again I think that's attributed to the overall craftsmanship and balance of the saddle.

If you can wait a while, check out the Black Friday sale in November. I paid $575 for my Edelweiss and it was brand spankin' new with no issues or dings or scratches. The only weird thing was that it was marked 16.5" (and sold as that) but when my saddle fitter measured it, it's close to a 16" seat. I still can't believe my butt fits in that... Regular retail on it was somewhere around $2k if I remember correctly so irregardless, I got a great deal and I am happy it has worked well for me and my horse.

Quote Originally Posted by tbsplease View Post
    ... found it very slippery and hard to hold a position in. I just chalked it up to being new, and toughed it out until it was more broken in. Unfortunately, I came to realize that no amount of breaking in was going to make it better. ... It had very slippery flaps no matter what I did with it, and the balance was just off. ...
    (I found this post while looking for something else.)

I can't fix the wrong geometry. But especially if you are not concerned about keeping a saddle brand-new-pretty, slickness can be dealt with. Wipe the leather down with strong solvent like denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner to deliberately take the finish off and suede it a little is one thing that could have been tried. Take a ScotchBrite pad or similar and lightly abrade the area under the rider's and perhaps also the seat is another. The slick under the thigh and the rider's bum is usually all you have to deal with, and a little bit of abuse goes a long way to putting some grip there. It's accelerating the normal wear process.

Quote Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
    Looking for opinions from eventers riding in a Stubben Edelweiss CS close contact saddle for XC and/or stadium at Prelim or lower level. "This saddle features a soft, half-deep seat, layered padded fronts (to better mold around the legs), and a small block" Thanks!
    BEST saddle I have ever owned, hands down, and I have owned a lot. It suited me fine in Novice level and if I get back into eventing I will keep riding in it. It was a long search for the perfect saddle but that one was it for me.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

For the record, I had never found it to be slippery for a CC saddle, My county was worse. >I know several other folks that own one and adore theirs as well. it was the first saddle that fit my TB really well. Try one, You will be amazed. for the record, I never liked any other stubben saddles, unlike the poster who did not like the edelweiss. So who knows, but please try it.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I had one for a while and I absolutely loved it. I was riding a really hard jumper (he was all over the place) and I felt like I could really stick with him through all of his crazy stuff. If the horse it fit had been sounder I would have happily used that saddle until he maxed out, I felt secure in it and it fit my leg beautifully.

I have the NT Deluxe and love it. I have shown a lot at the Training level and have no problem jumping bigger jumps with this saddle. Much prefer it to my daughter's Prestige Eventer or other daughter's Tad Coffin. My daughter has the regular NT and it was hard to break in and the leather was slick. However I worked really hard at softening up the leather, lots of oil, drenching with water, conditioning and riding in it and it became soft. Very happy with it. A friend rode in it and wanted to buy it. The Edelweiss has a narrow twist and short points as well as a half deep seat. It is very balanced. Wool flocked. Can't say enough good things about it, especially the NT Deluxe version which did not require any breaking in.

Do let us know if you try one!!

hated mine. i thought my leg position was just bad, but it was the saddle. i always slipped going down banks and it was just not good for XC in my experience. maybe to novice its ok, but i wouldn't have wanted to use it at a level higher than that

Seems it either works or doesn't, at the time my trainer said FINALLY your leg is in the right place!