The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update on Girthy Lesson Pony - Update with pics

Well after a few weeks of taking it slowly and using a cookie the pony has gotten MUCH better about being girthed in the crossties. He isn't nearly so nervous, I give a cokkie before putting on saddle then one while I do the girth, rather loose. Then I can tighten it a couple holes while still in grooming stall (after bridling) and then fully tighten right before mounting. He seems bvery comfortable with this approach. i can tell if I were to tighten it more than very loosely at first he might "wig out" but he seems to trust that I wont do that now. He had four little kids grooming him today in the crossties and was going to sleep he was so relaxed about it. Jsut thought I'd let people know how much he has improved. Still won't let anyone tack him that doesn;t understnad the "protocol" tho!
    Last edited by shawneeAcres; Apr. 19, 2011 at 07:38 PM.

Yay! Been rootin' for ya.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

YAY!!!!!! So glad to hear he's getting better!!
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Yay for you and ponykins! Very smart to only let someone who knows the routine tack him up.

I'm glad to hear he is working out so well.

Funny, that's the way I girth up ALL my horses...minus the cookie that is. Doesn't seem out of the ordinary at all. I've always thought that was the best way to prevent a horse/pony from becoming girthy in the first place!

well yes I don't YANK the girth up tight in cross ties, but with this pony you have to go SLOWLY and put it on just the first hole, let him settle a little, give him a cookie, then take up another hole, walk out, then take it up, etc. Just more deliberate than ordinarily. I ordinarily put it snug in crossties, lead to mounting block and then tighten

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    well yes I don't YANK the girth up tight in cross ties,
    You might be surprised at how many people do this though. They always seem to be the ones complaining about having girthy horses too.

Pics of this wonderful pony and NO, HE IS NOT FOR SALE!

http://community.webshots.com/album/580074318yqWrUT

He is so cute!

He's darling. Btw, never meant to imply that you *yank* up the girth, lol. But even "snug" for the 1st girthing is usually out of my comfort range, I do it in several stages. Might seem a pain to most folks, but I'm so used to it that I don't even think about it anymore. Just sayin'.....

Toney the Pony (Or Tiger I suppose!) looks lovely. So glad to hear you are having progress!

Yeah he is "Grrreeeaaattt!' LOL Thats how I gave him that name! I really like this guy, think he had some rough times sometime in the past, but he will live his life out here I am pretty certain! He jumps around good and is basically very safe. I do have to put an "overcheck" type anitgrazing device (homemade) for a very little beginner as he tends to root with her, but not with anyone else. Just smart enough to know he can do it, gotta love those ponies! I can live with his limitation, gosh knows they all have one! But he is getting better and better and obviously trusts us a LOT more now.

Aww, he's cute.

Yeah, I usually girth up a little, then put the boots on, girth up a bit more, then put the bridle on, girth up, then lead out to mounting block, pull down leathers and check girth. Seems to help all my girthy babies, and prevents girth issues down the road.

He's adorable!!! Looks like he is WELL worth the few extra minutes it takes to get him ready ( maybe that is his evil pony plan in the first place? LOL!!!)

Sounds like you have a plan, but here is what we did with my pony when I was little. She was so bad, especially in the winter, that if done too quickly she would flip over.

Put in cross ties, brush off saddle area. Put on saddle with girth on bottom holes (it was one size up for what she really needed). Brush one side, go up a hole. Brush other side, go up a hole. Tail, up a hole, mane, up a hole, another hole after each foot.

By that point saddle was tight enough to walk her to ring. Would stop every few steps and do another hole.

This was it became routine, no treats, as the girthy wasn't a bad behavior. She was cold backed and need the time to adjust and warm up. This was how it was done every time she tacked up at the start. At a show, at home, in the stall, didn't matter.

Once she was warmed up there was no problem. So retacking after jog wasn't an issue.

I rode a jr hunter that was the same way, but by then I could balance better when I got on.

Well, he sure is cute .

I always girth up slowly anyway, but I don;t girth up very tightly until after I am on the horse and have been walking around for five minutes or so. And I always check my girth after I have warmed up. Girth's stretch a bit and shape with the warmth of the horse, so they will always be looser after ten minutes or so of riding.

The only time I girth up tightly before getting on is if I am getting on a rank sort of horse ... then the girthing routine is done by hand walking first to warm up the girth so that it has begun stretching,... then I take up the last hole or two and get on.