The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where the heck can I find technical polo shirts for less than $50?!

Maybe I missed the boat on clearance during the winter, but I'm looking for polo shirts in a technical fabric, and can't find anything for less than $50. I'm looking at sporting goods websites in the golf sections but everything is so freaking expensive! I'm a conservative barn dresser, so I like to always ride in breeches and a polo in the summer, and I find that the cotton polos are too hot and don't wick sweat very well. I'm on a budget, but my Target cotton polos just aren't cutting it when it's 90 degrees with maximum humidity.

Any suggestions?

P.S. the hunter princess in me loathes the polos with zips instead of buttons, so it'd be nice to avoid those hideous Kerrits shirts

Not sure what your shopping options are, but I always have good luck at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc. (Hit and miss, of course, on brand/color/size)

Mens or ladies? I actually saw some for men in WalMart -- Didn't check the price, but they're bound to be inexpensive --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

T J Maxx or Marshals for sure...I've found golfer's polos for about $20, and I just got a couple of Izod polos in a nice, easy care fabric for $12.99. I love the Ariat Prix polo, but don't want to spend a lot for a shirt that will be sweaty & dirty immediately! If you can ride in a collarless shirt, there are even more choices (Nike, Avia, etc.) for short sleeved shirts in the "activewear" sections of those discount stores.

I just ordered some mesh polos from Lands' End for about $17 each for the young riders. Will report on how they work.

There's an Izod outlet in my area so I go there... Old Navy also has active polos for ~$20 (mens) and if you can get their stuff when it goes on clearance they usually have super deals

I just bought two polos from Walmart in the ladies department, $8 each. They had some bright colors but also some in navy, etc. I have a bright pink one on today and have had compliments from all the ladies in the office on it.

That "technical fabric" is polyester in it's modern and suddenly acceptable incarnation.

Look for cotton/poly blend on the label or even just the poly.

In pricer places it's called dry weave or active fabric and touts wicking away the moisture. but it's the same fabric and probably out of the same sweatshop in Asia.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Default SmartPak has a couple options!

Aunt Esther for President 2012

I got 3 really cute North Face ones on clearance at Sports Authority for about $30 each. It may be something you can stumble upon seasonally, but everyone at my barn has a bunch of them because they are so nicely fitted and comfy!
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Ross, TJ Maxx, Loehmanns, and Marshalls is where I always shop for my polos.
    Owned by an Oldenburg

land's end, or, better yet, LL Bean
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Default ebay

Ebay has a ton if you search women nike dri fit although I am sure you could find other brands as well.

www.gtmsportswear.com

I have a few of theirs that i've gotten for school and love them. They will sell blank polos, too.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Target often has polos in the Champion dry weave, but some years they only seem to carry it for men However, they do make a Tshirt with a high v and long enough to tuck in (I say that as someone who is 5'11"!) they call it "Long and lean". If you have any outlet malls near you go check out the nike, addidas or reebok outlets I've found nice ones their as well.

The Target dry weave stuff is pretty good... I have a few of those polos, and buy in Mens Small. I like a bit of a loose shirt, so this works very well for me.

Kerrits also makes a range of technical fabric shirts for around $45. I ordered a few earlier this spring, and some of them are pretty nice.

Marshalls hands down, best price and quality!!!

Costco

Izod outlet and my favorite, Loehman's! Some of my favorite polos are actually tennis shirts.