The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default KWPN TB Stallion trivia

I've been poking around in the KWPN website and found something rather amazing. They give breeding values for stallions that they have approved. One TB stallion was the German Apollonios, who has, IIRC, the highest dressage value of any TB stallion that they consider current, although he is a 1981 model.

What I found amazing is that his second dam is the second dam of Urban Sea, who was a top class race mare (won the Arc, IIRC) and also perhaps the greatest broodmare for racing around today--well she died last year, but.... She was the dam of Galileo and of Sea The Stars, along with five or six other really top class British race horses. So this family has superlative flat racers and a sire who is good for dressage!

And for those who think that Northern Dancer/North American lines can't be any good in sport horse breeding, there is a KWPN stallion named Sit This One Out, who is pure North American TB. Northern Dancer as tail male grandsire from his his sire, the Canadian bred Dance In Time, and the bottom is Buckpasser, Bold Ruler, Menow, and a tail female line that goes back to a sport line staple in Pink Domino/Monte Rosa (Woodbine Female Family, IIRC)
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/sit+this+one+out
    This guy has breeding values that are decent for both dressage and show jumping. In fact, they are the reverse of Julio Mariner.
    http://cms.kwpn.nl/mediafile/0002/8753/rank_xx_ENG.pdf
    But he was located as a racing breeding stallion in Holland, so they knew him and knew his get. He wasn't imported for sport.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 18, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Sit This One Out shows up in quite a few KWPN pedigrees - including three approved stallions - either as the sire or dam sire. He also has a prolific amount of ster, preferent and prestatie get.

One of the mares is Marie Louise, who is an elite preferent mare, is owned by Sporting Chance Farms here in the USA.

Do they have one for African Drum? He is the damsire of Tinka's Serenade and this is Stella's tail female family.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Here's African Drum's KWPN page, but it has very little information other than a pedigree and a picture. He was a 1961 model, and they might not have felt he was relevant enough to add to the web files--as is the practice on Equineline.
    http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/openbaar/abo...nr=H0000000094

The KWPN website is really wonderful. However there is a notation on the front page of the place where the general stallion search is found that it is an OLD website that they are leaving up, so one wonders how long before it is either dropped or migrated to the new website.

The Front Page of the KWPN site is all about stallions because it mirrors their magazine apparently, but it now has links to great information. I'm wondering if I should separately bookmark each link.

Terri, BTW, I agree with you about National Hunt breeding being ruined with Northern Dancer lines. I went to Coolmore, and all of their flat stallions are No. D lines; their NH studs are also almost exclusively No. D. I think they may stand three who aren't, of whom the best seems to be Flemmingsferth. All of their No. D stallions are either Danzig or Sadler's Wells.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    Sit This One Out shows up in quite a few KWPN pedigrees - including three approved stallions - either as the sire or dam sire. He also has a prolific amount of ster, preferent and prestatie get.
    A very interesting TB family -

Sit This One Out's 2nd dam is a 3/4 sister to the racing sire, Red God. The extended family has produced such influences on the racetrack as Storm Cat, Ruffian, Brass Hat, John Henry, and Icecapade.

And his family also produced Milkie, one of the sources of dilute TBs.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Thank you for that stuff Viney. I think it's Stella's 5th dam where they link up. Poor Stell, her ancestors were Cheveley Park. Then the family moved to Ireland and it all went downhill! LOL! Still he's a neat looking dude, very uphill, one thing I quite like about my mare. I must get some decent pics of her thus summer. Still, don't care how far back it is, it's my TB mare with sporthorse lines! Again, insert eyeroll and laughter!

So you saw my little rant on the GN then I'm guessing. And I do realise National races are specialties but it's ridiculous what they want to do with adding nothing but speed. They are losing that gorgeous purpose bred chasing type. Yeah Flemensfirth is the Alleged influence. I like the Flem's but there's too much variation in type. So I'd be inclined to wait until they were older to buy and not buy as foals. At any rate if they keep breeding the way they do at some stage the GN will be one turn over hurdle size fences.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.