The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default liability ins for the rider

My BO is afraid to allow anyone to lease out or half lease out their horses. He's afraid he'll be sued. He has agreed to try it for those who have homeowners insurance. But what about those who are not homeowners? is there a way to get insurance to protect the rider and the BO?

Hmm. I found that you can get cheap ins from the Pa Equine Council. I wonder if the coverage is any good.

some horse owner's councls provide owner insurance as a benefit

http://www.kansashorsecouncil.com/ab...cbenefits.html

"We also offer $1,000,000. in equine liability insurance to anyone who joins the Kansas Horse Council. When you become a member, this insurance is automatically yours and protects you from the actions of any horses that you own. This includes coverage anywhere your horse is, whether on your property or not."

the problem with this type of insurance is that it only protects you if a "third party" sues you. Someone you give permission to ride your horse/a lessee is not considered a 3rd party. Most states have equine liability laws recognizing that horses are dangerous/ride at your own risk, etc. Unfortunately there is no type of insurance for letting others ride your horses.

Doesn't the BO have liability insurance to protect himself? He should talk to his insurance provider about non-owners riding boarded horses to see whether he is covered for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Doesn't the BO have liability insurance to protect himself? He should talk to his insurance provider about non-owners riding boarded horses to see whether he is covered for that.
    He has his own insurance, not sure what he has. In our contracts when we came to be boarders We are required to have insurance for ourselves. Since i am a homeowner i have HO insurance and that might cover me, but some people who rent, might not have sufficient insurance. The BO wants the Lessee to have ins and the owner of the horse as well. But originally his DIL was the BM and she let people get away with joining the barn without ins. So some people are already here without a way to cover themselves. BO is just worried b/c this is a sue crazy world and he has a lot invested into the farm.