The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fertilize and rain chances evaporate :(

So there was a 20% chance of rain on Friday and a 50% chance on Saturday right up until I had southern states fertilize Friday am. The minute the fertilizer hit the ground the rain chances changed to 10% and we didn't get a drop I even had my SO do the naked rain dance which usually ensures a good amount of rain and some strange looks from neighbors Oh well.

Um... we did that dance down here and um...got 3 inches of rain . Unfortunately we didn't fertilize first. I'm also not sure our neighbors missed the dance either.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    Um... we did that dance down here and um...got 3 inches of rain . Unfortunately we didn't fertilize first. I'm also not sure our neighbors missed the dance either.
    I'm not allowed to do it anymore. Last time we both danced and got 10 inches of rain over night

This always happens to me. If you want it to NOT rain, fertilize!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    I'm not allowed to do it anymore. Last time we both danced and got 10 inches of rain over night
    Oh! Not so good! Or too good depending on how one views it!

Have you tried washing the car. Your SO does the dance and you wash the car. If that doesn't work,leave the windows open. Ask me how I know.

We even washed the trucks. Clean trucks usually ensures it will rain.

Oh! Not so good! Or too good depending on how one views it!

Have you tried washing the car. Your SO does the dance and you wash the car. If that doesn't work,leave the windows open. Ask me how I know.
    I just saw this as I posted about how we even washed the trucks sorry about your open windows

Ya gotta leave the windows down. Or the sunroof open depending on what car it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    This always happens to me. If you want it to NOT rain, fertilize!
    It's like a curse

Yippy!! It rained yesterday afternoon We got a nice soaking. I did hear that some people in Ocala got some nasty lightning and hail

I saw that on the news. They showed hail photos. Glad you got rain. Question for you, how expensive it is to get SS to fertilize? Looking at trying to find a service to do it for us but it's not been so easy.

I saw that on the news. They showed hail photos. Glad you got rain. Question for you, how expensive it is to get SS to fertilize? Looking at trying to find a service to do it for us but it's not been so easy.
    You can rent one of their spreaders for $60.00 or have one of their contractors spread it for $180.00. Their spreaders usually get booked pretty quickly when the rain chances increase so call ahead. I bit the bullet and had their contractor do it as all the spreaders were rented, then it didn't rain

We've got rain scheduled for Fri, Sat, etc but it's too wet to get in the fields to fertilize without getting stuck and leaving ruts. Wish we could send you some. Heck we just had snow again today and temps, with wind chill factor in the low 30's

FYI, I've had that problem in the past and it was almost 2 wks till it did rain. Fortunately no damage was done.
    Last edited by msj; Apr. 21, 2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added the FYI
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    We've got rain scheduled for Fri, Sat, etc but it's too wet to get in the fields to fertilize without getting stuck and leaving ruts. Wish we could send you some. Heck we just had snow again today and temps, with wind chill factor in the low 30's

FYI, I've had that problem in the past and it was almost 2 wks till it did rain. Fortunately no damage was done.
    I was going to say something similiar - I would be THRILLED to be able to send some rain down. Our ground is completely saturated with more rain in the forecast .

BUT, the fields did get fertilzed with a couple of large, old manure piles getting spred back in February. Of course it is way to wet to let the critters outside the sacrifice area.

Christa