The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

luckyrider123 Guest

Default Breeding a Pilot, Landgarf mare. stallion suggestions?

I have an imported Oldenburg mare, who is a level 7 jumper, and did some grand prix.
    She is by Power, who is by Pilot. Her damn is by Landgraf.

I'm looking for a good stallion combination to quite her down so that she is not as hott, and have a horse that could possibly compete in Hunter Derbies.She does not need any more bone, so to modernize wouldn't hurt.This would be a baby just for me to keep and work with.

I'm trying to finish my search for a stallion to breed her to.

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

I would recommend Ragtime. He has a super temperament (which you often need for crossing with those Pilot line mares) He's not heavy boned and is a successful competition horse and sire.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Navarone (Jus de Pomme x Armstrong) throws fantastic jumpers and the best temperaments you can find. The riders love them and great for amateurs. He is that way himself. He also has offspring winning internationally. Very talented! The trainers and riders love to work with them. Definately good for anyone to ride.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

I would say, Caretano Z is a good option too. The only problem is that he is only available on frozen. I've ridden some Caretanos and they are very, very rideable with great characters and an amazing disposition, he will quite her down a bit, and he oftenly throws medium-sized horses with a good technique. Very complete horses he gives, from my point of view.....

Hope that helps, and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Cano View Post
    I would say, Caretano Z is a good option too. The only problem is that he is only available on frozen. I've ridden some Caretanos and they are very, very rideable with great characters and an amazing disposition, he will quite her down a bit, and he oftenly throws medium-sized horses with a good technique. Very complete horses he gives, from my point of view.....

Hope that helps, and good luck
    I don't mean to hijack, but Cano, just out of curiosity, what do you think of Caretano's son Chequille Z?
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

I have a mare that has similiar breeding ( I actually have several mares w/Pilot blood up-close). My mare Leading Lady's sire is Landino (by Landgraf) and the dam-sire is Pilot. Before I bought her she was bred to Rotspon for a hunter baby and that young filly is doing quite well in the hunter ring
    (there is a pic here: http://www.hillsidehranch.com/hillsidehranch_006.htm). She had several other babies but it is has been very difficult to track them down. I bred her for the first time in 2009, to Banderas, solely to produce a jumper. That colt is very nice and sold to a pro as a weanling. She is bred back this year for a full sibling. My mare has a very good temperment, though.

Not neccessarily reccomendations, just some info. on what has worked with a similiar pedigree.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

He seems to be a very versatile stallion, but he looks more dressage oriented. I can not make a just opinion because I've never seen offspring from him or sat in any of his products, he looks like a great horse though. If it was my mare (wich is not) I would breed directly to Caretano Z as he is been proven a lot more and has produced horses at the top sport. If you prefer to breed to a son of him, I would recomend a stallion that has jumped at the highest level such as: Cartoon Z or Caballus Z, that both jumped the last WEG in Kentucky, and did quite well. You can find videos of these horses at www.webstallions.com as well as videos from Caretano Z and his offspring.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    I have a mare that has similiar breeding ( I actually have several mares w/Pilot blood up-close). My mare Leading Lady's sire is Landino (by Landgraf) and the dam-sire is Pilot. Before I bought her she was bred to Rotspon for a hunter baby and that young filly is doing quite well in the hunter ring
    (there is a pic here: http://www.hillsidehranch.com/hillsidehranch_006.htm). She had several other babies but it is has been very difficult to track them down. I bred her for the first time in 2009, to Banderas, solely to produce a jumper. That colt is very nice and sold to a pro as a weanling. She is bred back this year for a full sibling. My mare has a very good temperment, though.

Not neccessarily reccomendations, just some info. on what has worked with a similiar pedigree.
    The stallion Ludwig von Bayern is bred out of the exact same cross his dam is (Landino/Pilot) and he is a son of Landor S
    Here is a video of the stallion http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10469435
    Hope you like it

I have a gelding that is Parabol / Pilot. He is a real joker and very calm. He is beautiful and I should have done the Hunters with him, but not what I was into at the time.... you can check him out on my website...
    http://www.stixandstonessporthorses.com
    he is under Prince of the Moon
    So I would think about Parabol to breed to....

I think to produce a more refined hunter and calm the mind a bit you could stay with the holsteiners and breed to Chaleon or Cabardino depending on what color you prefer. I would recommend Quinar for jump and refinement but he may not help you in the "hot" department.

Quote Originally Posted by Cano View Post
    The stallion Ludwig von Bayern is bred out of the exact same cross his dam is (Landino/Pilot) and he is a son of Landor S
    Here is a video of the stallion http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10469435
    Hope you like it
    Thank you!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by fibbermaggee View Post
    I think to produce a more refined hunter and calm the mind a bit you could stay with the holsteiners and breed to Chaleon or Cabardino depending on what color you prefer. I would recommend Quinar for jump and refinement but he may not help you in the "hot" department.
    Or possbily Cunningham.

I have a client who has a Calido I/Landino/Pilot mare. She bred to Waldaire 2xs and is breeding back this season for a full sibling for 2012. The mare was purchased as a 4 year old at the Westphalian Elite Auction and then had a career ending injury (kicked through a steel wall) and is pasture sound.

There are some photos on the sporthorse database of both foals. The colt's pedigree is here and the photo below is at his 2nd local show as a 3 year old. The filly is here - and that conformation photo is from about 4-6 hours.

Apparently the mare had a quite a bit of temper as a riding horse and could be willful. The offspring are much more 'mellow' and cooperative without loosing any of her jumping talent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020233.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	32588