The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack stores in Paris?

I love looking at horse stuff in other countries and I'm in Paris for a few days. Does anyone know of any tack stores that would be worth visiting? Many thanks!

http://www.padd.fr/magasin_equitation_paris_etoile.htm

I'm planning on going to Paris and an acquaintance mentioned the above. Haven't been but it looks nice!

Horse Avenue has some really nice stuff:

http://www.horse-avenue.com/
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Padd also has a shop in the 15th on Rue de la Cavalerie. Nice stuff but not inexpensive.

Hermes is pretty amazing...they have an entire horse section.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    Horse Avenue has some really nice stuff:

http://www.horse-avenue.com/
    Swooning.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Also, in France, most sporting good stores will have an equestrian section. Check out Go Sport, Decathlon, Au Vieux Campeur for the "rayon Equitation." Those are like REI here, so not fancy stuff, but fun to look at. They usually have cool breeches that are cheap and fun for schooling here.
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Have fun with the exchange rate! Ouch!!

I was just in Paris, and I love that city. Never thought to look for tack shops, though! Probably just as well.

Default Update!

Many thanks for the suggestions! I didn't have so much time and had to be diplomatic to keep DH happy.

I first went to Go Sport because there was a huge store in Les Halles, really close to where I was staying. They had quite a bit of horse equipment (both horse and rider) but the quality was really really low. As were the prices, at least! I tried on several breeches but could not find any that worked for the, ahem, more mature figure.

Then I checked out PADD, a really cool store. They had lots of stuff by a company called "Equi Theme" -- pretty much mid-range, and not terribly expensive. I bought several pairs of schooling breeches that are unusual but not in an outlandish way.

I decided to walk back to where I was staying and my route took me past Hermes, where I just had to go in to gawk. I only found a few horsie things, but I also didn't want to draw attention to myself as I so clearly was not a viable customer. They had three sizes of stuffed ponies (appropriately named "Hermes"), the biggest of which was still fairly small. They ranged in price from (I kid you not) 290 Euro to 735 Euro. I didn't see any saddles, but there was what appeared to be a canvas tote for a saddle, going for a mere 1990 Euro (about $3000!!!).

All in all, a good trip!

Too bad I didn't see this before you left. I found some amazing classic coolers and quarter sheets (in my colors) cheaper than I would have to get custom made here at Guibert.
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

yes too bad I did not see this before either.
    I am from paris and I would have tell you to avoid the stores like Padd, GO SPORT, decathlon. they are too commercial , and wont have much that would interested people that are already advance in the horse world, it is cheap, as the quality is. but like someone said, fun to look at if you're just walking in the area.
    i would say to go for smaller tack shop that we call " sellerie" there is only horse stuff, good quality, good brand, but little bit more expensive. but if you re looking for something, you might be able to, and it might be cheaper than if you were to buy a european brand in america.
    these stores are usually in small streets, or somewhere where you need to know where they are to know them we like to hide good stuff LOL

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

When I went to Paris, I went to Google.fr and typed in 'sellier'. Voila!

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me