The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default So... what non-equid pets do we all have?

Since we have this great new forum, I think it begs the question... What other pets do we all have?

In addition to our 5 horses, we also have 2 dogs and 3 cats. The dogs are a red male Doberman Pinscher puppy and a tri-color Treeing Walker Coonhound. Our two house cats are littermates. They are half-Siamese, though they look like domestic shorthairs. Once is a flame point and the other a tuxedo. We also have a black shorthair barn cat...

These are just the critters we technically own. There are a couple of other stray / feral cats that hang out in our barn. One, an organge male, is getting friendlier. We're hoping to trap and neuter him soon.

Now I'm dying to know what other pets everyone else has!

In addition to my 3 horses and one donkey I have a border collie, an australian shepherd, 2 yorkies, a pot bellied pig, and umpteen chickens. My daughter recently moved back home and brought her little pomeranian, a 40 pound mutt and 2 cats. Sigh....it really does resemble a menagerie around here. Thank God my horse vet is also my small animal vet so for the annual farm visit he brings vaccinations for everyone. I would have to make lots of trips into town to take everyone to the vet. It's well worth the $50 farm service fee to have him come to me!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Two cats and a dog.

Cats were declawed house cats that got dumped at a barn I used to board at. They had no idea how to fend for themselves and nearly starved to death, so they had to come home with me.

Tessa, our dog, was a humane society mutt. I went in and told the shelter I wanted a dog that would be good with kids, not eat my cats, and not be too high energy, and I didn't care how ugly it was. They said "Oh, you want Tessa!" She is a WONDERFUL dog, but she is a little homely We've had her for three years now, and we couldn't be happier with her.

Here's Tessa: http://family.webshots.com/photo/206...00789832EILzaD
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

In addition to my 2 OTTB chestnut mares

We have a Min Pin, 2 cats, and a turtle... all rescues.

I have a Schipperke, and a really sweet one! Kid and horse proof. Excellent little guard dog. Enough personality for ten dogs

I have a 2 yo Bealge/Aussie nut. She's an awesome dog but I'm SO lucky to live on 65 acres so she has plenty of room to run
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

1 horse, 4 cats at home, 1 cat at a barn I used to board at.

Of the 5 cats, 2 were literally picked up off the city streets of Baltimore as kittens, 2 were inherited from a deceased boyfriend, and the other we got from a vet, who patched her back together after she got chewed up by something.

My name is: Sucker. It's a good thing there aren't very many stray horses. :-)

And yay for this forum.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

2 dogs [both from spca];
    5 cats [one from a friend, 4 from feral mother {did catch her and have her spayed}];
    1 goat [given to me];
    3 sheep [2 purchased, one given to me];
    (2 horses)
    Last edited by SGray; Apr. 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I have a pound puppy (now a year old) and a DSH/Russian Blue cat who is 10 yrs old

when he was smaller than the cat
    http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...31-2010042.jpg

and at his birthday
    http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...2-26-11004.jpg

Yay, a new forum!

I have a lazy Corgi/Bulldog cross, a 1 year old Cattle Dog that is driving me nutty, 4 inside cats, 3 horses. Next year I am getting my chickens finally, and this summer I may get some geese.

Two horses, two mini-donks, whose job is to provide "heard size"; three dogs, an aged FORD, an 8-y.o. Corgi and a almost 10 month lab/boxer/chow/??? mix, plus a 14 y.o. cat. So, I'm down; it used to be a struggle to keep the animal count in single digits. I'm getting older, so looking to home animals-in-need rather than taking on youngsters; the puppy will probably be my last young one. And, economy being what it is, I'm about at my comfortable limit.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

we have 3 hairless Sphynx cats and 2 old Boxers. The cats end up being the conversation pieces when we have parties...
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

1 Standard Poodle named Jinx... Bestest dog EVERRR.. he was a gift from my best friend 2 years ago at Christmas

1 German Shorthaired Pointer named Luna I got at a horse show when someone was trying to find a home for her. Sweet yet very neurotic dog LOL

1 dog I adopted from a local rescue A yorkie Poodle mix named Loki Very sweet little guy

2 cats both adopted from humane society. Flash and Magic

1 Timneh African Gray Parrot named DaVinci

2 Rats, Pokey and Princess Sara

and I am awaiting the arrival of 4 young chicks from the hatchery.

And to think when I got married my husband said "There will be NO animals in this house!" suuuuure honey..
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Wayside- I thik your Tessa is gorgeous! She looks just like my first puppy who was 1/2 terrier mix 1/2 chow/ akita mix but looked like an all black JRTCA Jack Russell.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

1 dog, 3 cats, 2 mice, 2 guinea pigs, 2 gerbils.
    Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

6 cats...

Almost all of mine were rescues of one sort or another. I have:

Jacob - 13 year old brown tabby, was adopted from a local vet hospital's adoption program when he was 4 months old (and already 7 pounds!!! )

Bailey - 11 year old Siamese mix, found outside our house when he was about 6 weeks old and so covered with fleas his gums were white...not sure how anemic he actually was, but he was pretty lethargic. We also found his brother and sister, who became barn cats at the barn where I was currently boarding.

Ivan - 10 year old orange tabby with white. He was the only one that wasn't a "real" rescue...I got him from a girl I used to work with. They had a stray cat (I think it really belonged to a neighbor who let her roam wherever) who had kittens. I fell in love with him and took him home. He later turned out to have renal lymphoma (diagnosed at 10 months of age) and has been on chemo most of his life, so I still consider him a rescue because most people wouldn't have done all we've done for him.

Tyler - 7 year old giant black cat. He was brought in to the clinic where I worked at the time with a gastric foreign body. His owners couldn't afford surgery, so they were going to euthanize. He was only 4 months old. I got them to sign him over to me.

G-Cat - 7 year old black and white cat. I found him starving (literally) on the side of the road a few years ago. He was covered in burrs, smelled terrible, and had one of the worst upper respiratory infections I've seen. For the first 2 weeks I had him, every time he ate he vomited because he hadn't had food in so long. He's a pretty good sized cat now, but when I found him he weighed 4 pounds. He got his name because he lived in the garage for the first year I had him.

Dexter - 2 year old orange tabby who I brought home during my shelter rotation. Hey, I got through all of vet school and only adopted one animal...I think I'm doing pretty good

2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 chickens, 3 owned horses, 3 boarders.

This is going to look like I'm a hoarder. Full disclosure, I met the DH when we worked together at a pet store in college...

Toby- 8 yo rescue Doberman

Paco and Roy- 18 and 12 yo poicephalus parrots

Ka- 8 yo california banded king snake

75 Gallon freshwater tank

100 Gallon saltwater reef tank

3 red eared slider turtles

oh yeah, and the horse, :LOL:
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Besides my one mare, I have three and a half kitties. Three are my indoor ones and the feral I feed outside counts as the half.

Sadie, ~6 year old DSH former stray that I took in when I was a senior in college. She was a better roommate than my human roommate.

Oliver, 2 year old seal point Siamese. DH and I got him just after we got married to keep Sadie company.

Bodie, 1 1/2 year old chocolate point Balinese. Was browsing on the breeders website that we got Oli from and saw him. Came home two weeks later, and has been my best buddy ever since.

Virgil is my feral kitty outside. He comes to the back door when he wants food, and we are progressing to gradually being able to get closer to him. I think he's happier with some distance, though.

DH actually is the one talking about another kitty (he isn't a dog person)...knew there was a reason I married him , but I'm happy with the three we've got now.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

hmmm, another "hoarder" here!

8 dogs: aussie, 2 border collies, 2 JRT's, and 3 Boxers

2 cats

1 cockatiel

2 potbellied pigs (both adopted through pig rescue)

and my 2 lovely mares: Bonnie and Bess, McCurdy Plantation horses

As we are gluttons for punishment, we also board other people's horses AND dogs, so numbers vary wildly, total zoo but lots of fun!
    Windwalker Ridge: Gaited horses, lessons, training, sales
    http://windwalkerridge.cloud11.net