The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default About this forum...

Though we've decided we want to reserve a full Off Topic forum as an occasional "treat," we'd like to debut the possibly temporarily named new forum "The Menagerie" for your posting and reading enjoyment!

The Menagerie will provide a place to talk about the rest of your critters, be they barn dogs, RV cats, condo parrots, etc. Attempts to make pet topics horse- or farm-related so they can slide by in another forum no longer required!

New threads made in this forum WILL NOT appear in the New Posts or Today's Posts searches, so for those not interested in scrolling through pages of new puppy threads in search of interesting horse topics, hopefully that will allay most of your concerns re: this new offering.

Obviously, we are a horse forum, and our resources are best used in addressing the needs of the horse-related aspects of the community, so if a thread gets contentious or problematic for some reason, we will be a lot quicker to close or remove it in this forum than elsewhere. So no cat fights!

The name "The Menagerie" isn't set in stone (just seemed fairly fitting!) so if folks would like to throw around some other possibilities--maybe with a clever horse tie-in that we lacked the ability to conjure up until now--feel free.

We'll check back on this thread for feedback occasionally to see how things appear to be going, but feel free to also PM me directly if you want to make a suggestion.

Thanks and enjoy!
    Mod 1

Cool! Thanks!

oo very cool. Thank you !

P.

Awww, gluttons for punishment, eh?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Very cool! I have always wanted to use the good horse sense on this forum for my other pets. Before this, I bet lots of little couch dogs had to be labeled "farm dogs"!

What a great opportunity for us. This is extremely generous of COTH. Thank you very much.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I like the name "The Menagerie", because that is is what we all have... or maybe 'the PETting zoo', 'cats, dogs and birds, Oh My". "old macdonald's farm",

Great idea! Thank you so much.

well, I'm sure I'll get booed here. I don't mean to, I swear.
    Mods said they'd be checking back for feedback, so I'm posting.
    I LOVE the idea. I DO. But I'm truly confused. IF we can have an exotic animal (as in: not dog, cat, or farm related animal) forum...then, why? can't we have an open forum for COTHers to talk to each other in other regards?

Please, I know I'll get flamed, and again...I DO think this is a good idea...what I"m confused on, is why? we can't have one that is just for us to share other things on, vs. horses and horse life IF we can have this one?

I'm missing something, obviously...as to me, these are threads/discussions that would have otherwise been deleted. If we're relaxing that, then why are we limiting it to something NON horse related but yet, specific? at all?

TIA...
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Thanks and I'm thrilled to have a place to talk about my other critters with my COTH family...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    I LOVE the idea. I DO. But I'm truly confused. IF we can have an exotic animal (as in: not dog, cat, or farm related animal) forum...then, why? can't we have an open forum for COTHers to talk to each other in other regards?

Please, I know I'll get flamed, and again...I DO think this is a good idea...what I"m confused on, is why? we can't have one that is just for us to share other things on, vs. horses and horse life IF we can have this one?

I'm missing something, obviously...as to me, these are threads/discussions that would have otherwise been deleted. If we're relaxing that, then why are we limiting it to something NON horse related but yet, specific? at all?

TIA...
    No one will boo you, why would they for an opinion, but they may have different opinions than yours to share.

There are plenty that agree with you, that wish the Off Topic days were made a regular forum.
    I don't know how Administration and Moderators here feel about that, of course.
    I am sure they have and are continuously considering that and other they may do or change.

Good that you expressed a need to have a place to talk of other than horse related, or animal related, as we got with the Farm Forum and now this neat one.

Let's see where the new one goes and if you want the Off Topic Forum be permanent, do keep being the squeaky wheel and who knows, you may just get that too.

I think that this is a great idea, and I hope it works!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Default Cool!

Thanks!!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

THANK you!

The forum is dog gone awesome!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

THANK YOU!
    ....... pausing

It is more that the Chronicle of the Horse sponsors this BB for free and for that we are extremely lucky. OT days are fun, but not horse related and do not direct people to the horse magazine itself. If we had an open OT day, the whole world would join, people with no interest in horses - and I'm sure there are lots of boards out there for that purpose. Right?

Menagerie - good idea so far. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post

TIA...
    It's not for exotic animals, its for ALL non horse animals. dogs and cats included.

I think bits a great idea! Thanks mods. You guys are by the the most fair, non biased mods on any forum I've been on. So many forums side with the 'cool kids' its nice to have anonymous mods who look at both sides of the story.

This is GREAT!! Thank YOU.