The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoroughbred Drone

Anyone know his story? And if he is a good sire to have in sport horse pedigrees? Looks like he raced only four times, but turned out to be a good sire. Found a photo of him on the sporthorsedatabase. He is also from a similar breeding as El Prado.

My Anglo mare is by Drone on the Phone by Drone (the name is awful). She did not have much of a performance career but her 2 yr old filly by the Trak. Blitz und Donner is very athletic. I know he stood at Claiborne in Ky and I did a bit of research when building my site. Im sure the TB experts on here can add quite a bit more info http://www.windhorsefrm.com/index.php?p=1_13
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Sir Gaylord is always a good line in sport horse pedigrees. One of the best. Cap and Bells is a lovely mare line to have. You can hardly go wrong with him.

Drone was grandsire tail male of a Swiss eventing team horse at the Atlanta Olympics. He is the sire's damsire of Horton Who, a 3* event horse in the US. His daughter, Niece is the 2nd dam of the sire of a couple of event horses in the UK, one of whom is the dam of the British based sport horse sire Weston Justice and the other was 4th under Mark Todd at the Dutch 3* at Boekelo in 1999.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Default Drone

Hi guys! I've heard stories from a few of the grooms at Claiborne regarding Drone. He was apparently not a very nice horse to deal with to put it mildly. One of the grooms on the tour said that nobody wanted to be the one to go get him from his paddock. He was a pretty good racehorse, but had a very light racing career without a lot of blacktype. He became a pretty good broodmare sire.

That being said, I have a mare who is a grand-daughter of his and she is one of the kindest horses I've ever been around. We also have a son of this mare who is also a very nice, athletic horse- even though he is a bit mouthy and has a bit of a dominant personality (typical of any stud). I personally like horses with Drone in the pedigree. I just think that it depends on who he's crossed with (like most stallions). I'm hoping his descendants do well in the sporthorse category as we will be showing this particular horse this summer and fall for the first time.

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/.../Shardelisada/

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...delisada/Tino/
    Last edited by drewsbadboy; Apr. 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM.

Thank you for the pictures wehrlegirl. I'm currently looking at a tb mare to add to my breeding program and her broodmare sire is drone. (Wish me luck!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lingkra View Post
    Thank you for the pictures wehrlegirl. I'm currently looking at a tb mare to add to my breeding program and her broodmare sire is drone. (Wish me luck!)
    Best of luck & pay particular attention to her feet - if you can take your farrier along to check her out, so much the better.

Drone was known for having shell-y feet & I don't know if that was what shortened his race career, but he was known for having them & passing them along.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingkra View Post

Good luck!! Post pics if you get her..
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

I have this mare in my broodmare band...

http://www.pedigreequery.com/dulce+amante

She is very sweet and has no mean bone in her body. Last year she produced a fancy filly by Mannhattan who was premium at her inspection.
    Visit us: www.integritysporthorses.com
    High quality retirement boarding: www.flattireranchtx.com

Drone sired Malaga Bay, a stallion who I believe was associated with Rodney Jenkins back in the day, so would have been an athletic dude. I could be mistaken, but I think it's so...Viney, do you remember?
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"