The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I really want to go to this "A" show next wekend (next sunday), the weekend of March 10th. My pony has been ridden 4 times in the past week and 1/2, has had 1 month off previous to that. Didnt sweat in the past 4 heavy workouts i gave her, planning on riding her today. We are getting 6 in. of snow tomorrow so im going ot hack her i that until it melts and the ground gets hard again or my ring unthaws and doesnt freeze again. I would be showing the green ponies (2'6 with 3 jump rounds, a hack, and a model). My mare jumped 2'6 courses the last 2 times i rode her for 10 minutes with no issues, not breathing heavily, and not sweating. Im truly debating about going. She not shaved and i showed twice in december not shaved but shes not extremely hairy so im just going hairy. I dont want to go and win, just to have fun and enjoy myself since i am bigger on the pony and older. i dont know if i should go or not. I plan on riding her almost everyday cept tomorrow up to the show...what should i do?????

Caylei

Hmmm - I don't think that going to an A show when your pony is out of shape is the best choice - maybe there is a smaller more local show that you could go to for fun and maybe just school on the grounds or do the schooling hunter.

What does your trainer think?

my trainer thinks i should, go she thinks the pony could handle it. Shes not terribly out of shape, she can make it around 10 mintues of straight jumping 2'6 without an issue today. She doesnt need to go to a local show, my trainer doesnt want me doing that since she thinks that me and my pony "are too good" for those shows...comming from her..she doesnt want to take the kids that go to those show sout of the running because of me riding a fancy pony that doesnt belong there...ya know. Schooling hunter classes here in CT are 3 jumping rounds anyways...The pony is not terribly hairy at all, she never really has grown a coat and she went in december after i rode her in the foot 1/2 of snow to get her ready all week. I think shes ready but im really undecided about it. She went in december and cleaned house...but we didnt pin in the odel because everyone else was shaved and pretty looking...haha...lily was poofy it was like 20 degrees. out...oh well...i dunno, givme some thoughts

Where did you show in December?

i did 2 of the Pines "A" shows (where i will be going on the weekend of the 10th). There was a tremendously good turnout of very fine ponies

Seems that you could rely on your trainer's advice - hopefully you trust her judgment.

If the pony can handle not schooling & jumping a few warm up jumps, then I would go. But if the pony needs schooling & lessons before showing, then she's not fit enough for all that. You know your pony best. Then again you are asking somebody who gave their horse 4 months off with just turn out, put some shoes on 2 weeks ago, rode 6-8 times & went to the show to jump around the 3' hunter. But then I know my horse, I don't school/practice extra jumps, and my horse seems to like this program so it works for us. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

the pony does not need warm up or much schooling at all before going in the ring. She will jump just about anything you put in front of her. When i do show in an indoor (since i never ride in one at home), i always take one trip around the jumps and be done and come out. Thats just about al she needs is to go in once and check things out, although she hardly looks at things. i think she'll be OK....we'll see hhow the weather turns out this upcomming week before we make our decision...

I must say I'm very surprised that your trainer is supporting your pony going to an A show without being clipped. It is generally considered very poor turnout, but is acceptable as some local shows as they're considered "schooling" shows. It would also help your pony feel better if you're asking him to do a lot of work. Hairy is fine for the pasture - not a show. Good luck!

she hardly has a coat and when we showed, first show together since '03, we beat out 14 other ponies and got reserve and qualified for PF. Honestly, i could care less if its an "A" show or if its full of drop dead gorgeous, six figure ponies, im out to have fun and nothing more. My mom hates clipping in the winter cuz frankly it normally gets below 0 here in the winter time, an dnormally we dont show in the winter. But i only got to sow 5 times in '05 ad i have been dying to show, and if i get the opportunity, im going to show...for the fun of it...and nothing more. the judges were obviosuly wonderful about looking past the slight bit of hair on her because the second time we showed we were 2nd in the hack and placed o/f, quite well. My mom will not let us clip the pony...so if i get to go, im just going as is and dealing with what i have. My trainer understands the circumstances and i could care less about the freakish glances of the bigger name trainers and the pony mom's. im big on the pony, im 17, yes, and the pony is hairy...but clean and braided and well turned out otherwise....im out to enjoy myself...i did not find a hors ein time for the '06 season, and shes all i have to show...work withwhat ya have is all i gotta say

If your zone is like zone two, you better clip. The competition is fierce, ponies have to be clipped, groomed to the gills and completely braided.

Hopefully you have your lead swaps down too.

Good luck

Did your pony have a month off because of an injury????
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

dude i just asked if i should show or not. Laura beth King kaplan was there last time, fairfield and ox ridge, all the rabbit hill ponies, otteridge Gun Smoke, Clovercroft Strawbunny, Lands End Eros, Glenmore top hat, One for the Bunny (my past larges brother and 2nd in the nation)......etc...My pony has AUTO, and i mean AUTO swaps, does them all on her own. No she didnt have a month off due to injury. i had 2 weeks off because of injury to my back, i still should nt be riding but i cant help myself and the past 4 week smy ring has been frozen but its great now. My pony was not clipped showing against these ponies last time and she still beat them o/f and hack wise...as you can she, evenwithout being clipped...see still catches the judges eye well enough without the clip job..

Why are you asking for advice Caylay, seems you already know all the answers pretty well... aside from all of that, you obviously don't care about anyone's opinion, so why ask??? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Then it seems like you are answering your own question? Do what you want, you're going to anyway. I am suprised that you find "blinged" helmets "disrespectful to the judge" yet you are going to show without proper basic grooming...
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

J11 go back to CR and LEAVE ME ALONE HERE..i do care about everyones opinion but i dont like how everyone is dragging in the braiding and everything and the auto lead changes, i mean seriosuly...i've been riding on the show circuit since i was 6...i know how a pony/hore shoud be turned out in the ring, i show welsh ponies in breed classes at eastern nationals, i know how well a pony has to be groomed and primped and i deff know what it takes to win in the hunters...thats why the pony has already cleaned house in previous years with me. I asked if i should go to the show or not, not if the pony knew its lead changes or what it needed to know..the pony is a packer....i just wanted some advice if i should go or not cuz im completely at a loss for what to do

i never said anything about blinged helpets being disrespectful..i just said i frankly dont like GPA's, thats all i said

I have to agree with jumper11. It does not sound like you are ready, which is the question that you asked. I would not take an unclipped horse to any show, much less an A show.

And, no offense, but in the horse world the termninology is "clipped." "Shaved" is what one does to a dog.

w/e i wasnt asking wether or not i should go clipped or not, i went last time and cleaned house....i dont care what people think about a slightly hairy pony going in the ring and shes shedding as of last week, so she might be OK looking..im worried about her being ready in time...apparently its just a horrible thing to ask anyways...sorry i even bothered asking....