The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keeping dust down

The footing in my arena is nice, it isn't ever dragged but it never packs. It's basically decomposed shavings/sawdust so it can get very very dusty and during the summer it needs to be watered weekly.

My BM looked at MAG but the cost was prohbitive. Is there anything she can add to the footing to keep the dust down? It needs to be safe for a horse to ingest as the stallions get turned out in the arena.

Uh, this comment isn't meant to be nasty, but if the stallions are 'eating' the footing, they need more hay etc in their diets.

First how big is your arena, and is this an outdoor arena or indoors?

You can use regular road salt. I use PureMelt in my indoor. It's put out by John Deere. I've used calcium and magnesium chloride and potassium chloride as well. Most road salts are often a mix of the above. CaCl is a bit more caustic but I never had a problem with it. I just washed the horses hooves off after riding in it for about the first 2 wks. After that the horses got turned out bare naked and rolled in it and never had problems.

You may have to use a fair amount the first application or plan to do several applications thru the year. My indoor is 60' x 120' and the first yr I put down 10 bags of CaCl. The 2nd and 3rd yrs I think I put down 6 each time. After that I think I probably went about 2-3 yrs and didn't add anything. I think I've gone at least the last 3 winters without adding anything and I didn't even water this yr once. Thru the summer I leave all 3 large doors open in the arena for air flow and it's never yet dried out the footing.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Umm, I never said they were eating the footing... Thanks for assuming.

They get turned out in the arena, wuffle the poo and pee piles from other horses, roll in the arena, and eat their hay off the ground. It's an indoor.

Well, I did state that my comment about the horses 'eating' the footing wasn't meant to be nasty now didn't I? But you did say that a product had "to be safe for a horse to ingest" and according to my medical dictionary, ingestion is the introduction of food and drink to the stomach. I guess I'm not too sure what the difference is between eat or ingest except the spelling.

Anyway, if someone would take the time to clean the manure out of the indoor, the stallions would have a little less to wuffle. As that manure dries out it becomes dusty and airborne and that's definitely not good for either the riders or the horses respiratory tract.

FYI, I'm a manure nazi, like the helmet nazi's. I pick the manure up in the indoor and outdoor arenas as well as the 2 sacrifice paddocks every time I see a pile and that's usually several times/day. My large pastures are dragged on a weekly basis too.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Default Rock Salt ~~~ pulls the humidity from the air and keeps dust down ~

Rock salt scattered lightly and will eventually mix in... pulls the humidity from the air and keeps dust down... very cost effective ~~~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Thanks for the help Zu Zu. What kind of rock salt?

Does it need to be broken down by a machine or can you ride on it right away?

We also turn out injured horses, mares with new foals, and other horses if they can't go outside.

Would it pull enough water to make the footing slippery or pack?