The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What kind of bit is this?

I am a huge bit enthusiast...but I have no idea what this would be called or even if its commercially available. Is there a name for this: http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li...mc4yo1_500.jpg

Besides XXXXXXXL loose ring

Classic Equine Bitlogic; they sell two at StateLine Tack. One is smooth, the other twisted. Listed under loose ring snaffles.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    Classic Equine Bitlogic; they sell two at StateLine Tack. One is smooth, the other twisted. Listed under loose ring snaffles.
    Wow that was quick...thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    I am a huge bit enthusiast...but I have no idea what this would be called or even if its commercially available. Is there a name for this: http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li...mc4yo1_500.jpg

Besides XXXXXXXL loose ring
    Just big a... loose ring. And I want one.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Now I'm curious... why is this different than a smaller loose ring snaffle? Why so BIG?

Quote Originally Posted by hydro101 View Post
    Now I'm curious... why is this different than a smaller loose ring snaffle? Why so BIG?
    It actually functions quite a lot like a full cheek or a dee as far as steering. Mainly it just looks really cool...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

These used to be not-so-rare. Pretty hard to pull one through the mouth.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I as wondering about the running martingale in the picture. I don't see any stoppers and it seems to be right next to the end of the rein where it meets the loose bit ring.But it also does not look like the standard running martingale rings that the reins pass thru. so does this combo, whatever it is? have some other effect? Just curious??
    Edit: okay with spectacles on, I do see the rings of the running martingale, but still no stoppers...
    Last edited by Equsrider; Apr. 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: PUT MY GLASSES ON!!LOL!

The bit is a race bit, which IIRC is simple called "Large Loose Ring Race Snaffle. The rings have a 5" diameter. As mentioned, the large loose rings help in steering those young TBs straight down the track. The whole time I was at Horse Country we had a drawerful of them!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I galloped a filly 25 yrs ago who trained daily in this bit. It wasnt too common around the mid atlantic region though .

I have one if anyone wants it. Came with a group of tack on ebay. Think it's 5" but will check. Never tried using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Equsrider View Post
    I as wondering about the running martingale in the picture. I don't see any stoppers and it seems to be right next to the end of the rein where it meets the loose bit ring.But it also does not look like the standard running martingale rings that the reins pass thru. so does this combo, whatever it is? have some other effect? Just curious??
    Edit: okay with spectacles on, I do see the rings of the running martingale, but still no stoppers...
    Well, the stoppers are so the running doesn't get up over the bit. That seems unlikely at best, here...
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by foursocks View Post
    Well, the stoppers are so the running doesn't get up over the bit. That seems unlikely at best, here...
    Actually the stoppers are to prevent the rings from getting caught on the buckle or keepers that attach the rein to the bit. If it gets caught there it can cause a MAJOR problem and in this picture that looks close to happening. I have never seen martingale rings large enough to get caught on the bit.

Christa

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    Actually the stoppers are to prevent the rings from getting caught on the buckle or keepers that attach the rein to the bit. If it gets caught there it can cause a MAJOR problem and in this picture that looks close to happening. I have never seen martingale rings large enough to get caught on the bit.

Christa
    Well, if the bit is a full cheek, then it is entirely possible. The stoppers are to prevent it from getting caught on BOTH the buckles or keepers of the rein ends or part of the bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    Well, if the bit is a full cheek, then it is entirely possible. The stoppers are to prevent it from getting caught on BOTH the buckles or keepers of the rein ends or part of the bit.
    I didn't think about a full cheek, good point.

Christa

We used these on jumpers about 20 years ago...it was a fad for maybe 2 seasons.

When I used to ride at Coker Farm, Judy Richter's farm, I noticed these large racing snaffles being used on all of her horses. She was a huge fan!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Used to be popular on the QH HUS horses too. Bit rules were changed and they quickly dissappeared off the store racks around here.

I've always thought they'd be a great towel holder!
    ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    When I used to ride at Coker Farm, Judy Richter's farm, I noticed these large racing snaffles being used on all of her horses. She was a huge fan!
    I've shown at Coker, and now I'm upset that I missed them by quite a few years!

Just saw this, and, funny story I took this picture of the girl who was basically my big sister growing up.

Yes I just derailed the train of information about this bit but I took this picture! It's kind of like I'm famous!

Please feel free to continue talking about this awesome bit.
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian