The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ammy friendly summer camps?

A friend and I are stashing away funds so we can take our beasts to summer camp in 2012. The two we're looking at are Phillip Dutton's and Denny Emerson's. I've gone through searches and seen both camps mentioned positively, although not as much on the Phillip Dutton one. Any thoughts/opinions either way? Any other camps or multi-day clinics we should keep in mind? We're in area II.

If it matters, we'll be in the Novice/Training range on a green bean TB-type and a draft cross.

Thanks!

Denny's definitely ammy friendly. Also LAZ has camp in Indiana if it is not fully booked. Super popular and pretty much geared straight at adult ammys. I do not know of others offhand, but there are several great instructors wi whom you could do something informal
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I attended Phillip's camp in 2009, and am signed up again this year! I kept a blog during the 2009 camp - that should give you a pretty good idea of what it's all about. I thought it was wonderful!!!

http://cheriegetsduttonized.blogspot.com/
    If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question or you asked the question wrong.
    www.golightlysporthorses.com
    www.golightlysporthorses.blogspot.com/

I can't say enough good things about LAZ's camp in Indiana.

Very ammy friendly-I was on a horse that I had 1 week that was only green broke. Everyone was very accommodating of our greeness and never made us feel awkward....I so appreciated this.

I learned bucket loads and made new friends that I still keep in touch with.

It is also very cost effective and the instructors and facility are fantastic.

So yes I am a fan and can't wait for this year!

Two thumbs up for Dennys! Great learning opportunity for AAs and filled w amazing Denny stories! Can't comment on the others.

Yvonne donates this one (aimed at the T3DE). Don't know if it is for a group or just the single winner, but would be worth checking with her: http://www.usea2.net/competitions/t3...h-yvonne-lucas

Team CEO is doing some adult eventing weekends: http://www.teamceoeventing.com/calendar.html

GMHA is doing adult camp in early June: http://www.gmhainc.org/assets/files/...omo%202011.pdf
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Default GMHA Adult Camp

I've attended this camp for years. Definitely amateur friendly.
    Whimbrel

I've been to Denny's and loved it.

I don't think that you can go wrong with the camps recommended so I would make my choice by how much riding time I was going to receive.

(or perhaps who might have the best $/ride)

Dawn

I'm sure all those are great. I'm a big fan of the O'Connor camp--my daughter and I have gone together for the past two years, and are returning this year. Very ammy-friendly--my daughter was not yet competing at recognized events and was pretty nervous the first year, and had a wonderful positive experience--her riding and confidence grew by leaps and bounds!

Every year there are some very green horses too.

We're having a four day eventing camp July 19 - 22. Eric Dierks and Dough Payne are two of the instructors. We're in NE OH 25 miles from the PA turnpike. Depending where you are located in MD we may not be that far away. Less than 5 hours from Lock Moy.

Here's a link to the camp flyer

http://www.stonegatefarm.org/downloa...er%20%2711.pdf

Jackie

Another vote for LAZ's camp-- if you get on her mailing list she can send you the info for the 2012 camp the minute she has it ready. Because she is doing a 2012 camp, right?

Default Area IV Adult Rider Camp June 20 - 24

Area IV will be holding its annual Adult Rider Camp at Briar Fox Farm in Augusta, KS. This is open to ARs & YRs from both Area IV & Area V. They've added an additional day at no extra cost so campers can be shown how to put it all together with course walks and then stay over & do a schooling HT. Details & application forms will be posted on the Area IV website www.usea4.org

Area IV will also be holding its annual Young Riders' Camp also open to ARs in the Chicago area but details have yet to be finalized.
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

Denny's camp is great (as is Vermont in the summer)! I've done the camp twice in VT, and twice in NC- each time with a different horse. The first year I was barely BN, now I have a couple of seasons at T. Highly recommended!

Caroline Atherholt (Dowd) is having an Eventing Camp-she is located at Red Fox Hill Farm in Eagle Rock, VA in June. I can email you her flyer-she is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by CookiePony View Post
    Another vote for LAZ's camp-- if you get on her mailing list she can send you the info for the 2012 camp the minute she has it ready. Because she is doing a 2012 camp, right?
    LOL, I'm having a hard time thinking of beyond the N3DE/T3DE at this point, then it's on to my HT's here, then Camp I (and the schooling show) and then Camp II. After that I'll think about 2012. But I suspect I will do it again in 2012. It's fun and I enjoy having everyone here & learning.

Default Emily Beshear in June

Emily Beshear is having a camp at her farm in Somerset, VA from June 16-19, 2011.

Great format with lots of info and riding.

Her website is www.emilybeshear.com and you can find her contact info there!
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

Are there any eventing camps, besides Vershire, where you don't need your own horse?

I did Denny's camp in the spring of 2008 and really took a lot away. Bring a notebook and watch all the sessions you're not riding in. It was a wonderful experience!

Default UNH Event Camp

UNH is hosting the Area 1 Adult Rider/YR event camp leading up to their July HT. Info at http://www.equine.unh.edu/events. Clinicians are Tom Davis, Rachel Greene-Lowell, and Leslie de Grandmaison.

Ammy and greenbean friendly!
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” ~Pam Brown