The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL OUTRAGE!

This is from a report in German media outlet Der Spiegel. Horses left to die in Japan in the "nuclear zone." This is a clip from an interview with a horseman who was sneaking in to try to feed his horses, printed today:

"It breaks my heart to see them starving," says Tanaka, pointing to his stable. There are four dead thoroughbred horses lying next to the ones still alive. Tanaka's horses were among the attractions at a well-known equestrian event where riders wore samurai outfits. Now the animals are so thin that their ribs are showing. Suppliers refuse to bring feed to the restricted zone. Tanaka is not allowed to remove the horses, dead or alive."

He's not allowed to remove the horses dead or alive??? This is the same horror story CNN just reported on the family pets which the families were forced to abandon and to help with there are rescuers risking their very lives (and not just from radiation, Japanese authorities really mean business).

While of COURSE I realize that Japan is experiencing a humanitarian crisis the likes of which has not been seen since WWII, there is no excuse whatsoever for these animals to starve to death, die of dehydration, die a horrific slow agonizing death from radiation poisoning! Has NO ONE over there heard of humane euthanasia? Where is the international cadre of veterinarians that supposedly step in to even war zones to help? I'll tell you where they are - they are being prevented from helping animals by the Japanese government! A government that is even leaving its own PEOPLE to die - yes, in recent international news reports, people in certain areas were ordered to seal themselves inside their homes. Unfortunately, they were all too willing to obey without understanding that their government had no intention to provide them with water or even the barest sustenance once they were sealed in houses in their otherwise abandoned towns.

and MEANWHILE guess who is spending baZILLIONS of dollars at the TB sales? Of COURSE you can!!!

Sick. Sick. SICK!!!!!
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by @$$ho!es." ~ William Gibson

Unhappy So many victims - Animals in the nuclear exclusion zone

The tragedies in Japan are really overwhelming. Now I keep hearing stories about all of the animals abandoned in the nuclear exclusion zone.

Their ownerr's aren't able to return to save them, I read and saw pictures of abandoned (and I don't blame the owners for this!) animals.

I just never thought about horses being victims as well, never thought of Japan as horse country!

I was looking through this Time photo gallery "Too Close to Fukushima: Inside the Exclusion Zone"

And came across this photo of a stable ***WARNING GRAPHIC DEAD HORSES***

Just sad, no rescue in sight, and with the nuclear issue, I don't know what they can do! What would be best at this point? Freeing the animals?

They titled the photo "Survivor". I hope that he continues to be one.
    I don't know what should be done. He shouldn't be left to die though.
    "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

To me if rescue isnt possible, then it would be kinder to go through and euthanize/shoot the left behind animals than to allow them to starve. Surely they could find someone willing to don a hazmat suit and brave it. I guess the recovery effort is taking all resources still. Such an unimaginable tragedy

I'm not going to judge the priorities of people dealing with a nuclear accident and "aftershocks" bigger than most earthquakes. Putting down animals is probably not very high on anyone's priority list in the contaminated areas right now.

But sending in a journalism team is...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Journalists do what they do. They want to put their lives at risk to get a story, their choice. I wouldn't ask a vet to take their life in their hands just so I felt better about how animals died.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    But sending in a journalism team is...
    Journalists show the rest of the world what is going on. They will bring needed money to the area.
    But also, journalists document. What happened wont be forgotten.

I would've broken the window to let the cat out. I would've released the horses from their stalls. They will likely die of radiation sickness soon enough. Japan will have to send in the army to kill them all and then remove the carcassass. If the horses were race horses, perhaps some of the stables elsewhere can take them in. But the animals do not deserve to suffer.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

It is such a terrible tragedy on so many levels. It breaks my heart to even think of the loss of life over there. I certainly have a soft spot for animals and I wish something could be done, but I have to agree that I can't blame anyone for not wanting to go in that area.

My husband and I had a very heated discussion over this very thing. My dogs would not be left behind...I don't care. I could not walk out the door looking into those eyes that have been my constant companion & gave me their 100% loyalty their entire lives and know that I was leaving them behind to starve and die. They're like my damn kids, I couldn't do it. I might be bonafide nuts, but either they'd be coming with me somehow or I wouldn't go....at least not without one hell of a fight and being physically removed from them. It would kill me.

The pictures of those poor animals has me sitting here bawling...omg, my heart is broken. I knew I should not have opened that link...ugh. Poor babies.

There *are* groups going in and getting some animals out.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/1...mals-in-japan/

For those on FB: https://www.facebook.com/AnimalRescueJapan

Somehow I am thinking Japan has a few more things to worry about now than some animals starving to death. Logistically it is just another thing to be arranged and another pull on limited money. I agree it's very sad, but not surprising and quite understandable. I did read a story on CNN or BBC , within the last couple of days, about massive animal rescue from the earthquake zone, I think for cats and dogs.

I might get flamed for saying this, but I see that it is true, and not a condemnation; The Japanese people and culture in general do not view animals the way most westerners do.
    To try and compare what they are going through with what we would feel over the same thing is not going to do any good.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticReinRescue View Post
    My husband and I had a very heated discussion over this very thing. My dogs would not be left behind...I don't care. I could not walk out the door looking into those eyes that have been my constant companion & gave me their 100% loyalty their entire lives and know that I was leaving them behind to starve and die. They're like my damn kids, I couldn't do it. I might be bonafide nuts, but either they'd be coming with me somehow or I wouldn't go....at least not without one hell of a fight and being physically removed from them. It would kill me.

The pictures of those poor animals has me sitting here bawling...omg, my heart is broken. I knew I should not have opened that link...ugh. Poor babies.
    This

Except for me there would be no discussion. If a man can't understand that, he's not for me.

People do what they have to, I would suspect that the people didn't expect to be gone for any length of time. At least not those asked to evac, they probably thought their gov't would fix everything ASAP.

So sad.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

I'm sorry, but there's something rotten at the heart of their society...how you treat the weak and the defenseless tells of your societies values...from POWs, the Chinese and animals under their care...a bad history continues on today.

How sad to hear the good people being ruled by the evil.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

In the US and most likely around the rest of the world, taking animals to designated shelters during a natural disaster is forbidden.

There are a lot of good reasons for this, including hygiene, risk of injury as well as allergy concerns.

Animals were "left to die" in the aftermath of Katrina as well, including horses. This is not surprising or unique to Japan.

Japan's national debt is about 200% of their GDP, there is little money for what they have to do for the people, less to try to fix the economy that has been devestated, and none for anything else.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

But because of Katrina, people are now allowed to take their animals with them when evacuating to shelters. It is now a law that states wanting FEMA assistance need to accommodate pets and service animals in the evacuation of residents facing disasters.

Are you for real?

There are animals rescue groups on the ground there, working to bring in these animals, and I might add, at great danger to themselves due to the radiation.
    Level 7 radiation levels.

I'm sure it makes you feel absolutely self righteous to be sitting on your [butt] in your nice warm house - hollering your outrage - when people are actually risking their health and in some cases their lives over there to save all the people and animals they can.

I have an idea. get off your [butt] and get over there and do it yourself.
    I spent the day rounding up funds and supplies to be sent over there from our local clubs.. what the hell did you do?

*coming from a person who has worked day and night rounding up, evacuating, sheltering and feeding horses, other livestock and all the companion pets she could fit into the cab of the truck on the way out each trip.. from 3 natural disasters now , 1 being a class 6 firestorm (not something I recommend)
    and it's a long time until I'm dead yet.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 15, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.