The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this a dumb question?

Does anyone still wear full chaps?

If so, where'd you get them? I can't pay a fortune and would like thin-ish suede.

My pathetic out of shape body needs a little more grrrrrrip in the saddle......!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

No, it's not a dumb question.
    I still wear them...or will, once I lose enough baby weight to fit back into mine. I also love them for the grippy-ness. They are not so much "in style" right now, but wear what works for you.

SmartPak has some nice semi-custom options by Barnstable. Dover carries plain Barnstables for right around $100. (Actually, SmartPak looks like they may even have the better prices for semi-customs!) I got a pair ages ago from State Line Tack.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Thanks Gypsy! I will check out the SmartPak ones. I've got the baby weight thing going on too, hoping to lose another 15-20 and then I'd like to get some new ones. I used to ride in them all the time until the half chaps came in to style... but I think a pair of full chaps would be good right about now!!

If you had to ask..........

Try google-ing "ladysmith chaps" I'm not sure what she charges tho.

Also you might try EBay, or Craigslist

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Damn those are some pretty chaps, LBR. Well if I can't get hubby to go for the chestnut pony I want for my birthday this summer maybe I can talk him into some fancy chaps instead......!

I vote for both!!!!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Yes, I do- shotgun style as opposed to batwing. But can't be of much help since I got mine in 1969 (cost $60 or so). I did have another pair that I got in 1967 (cost $35) but gave them to a kid at the barn.

I know they are pretty generally available. But probably not for what I paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Yes, I do- shotgun style as opposed to batwing.
    What's the difference between the two? I'm guessing the ones that I have are the *batwing* style, but I can't picture what *shotgun* style would be.

Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Barrel Racers, & Dressage

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

I still see a lot of people in dressage and eventing as well as hunters wearing full chaps. I've got a pr hanging in the tack room just gathering dust. Guess I ought to add them to my 'for sale' list in our Saddle Club newsletter.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

My daughter still wears her's occasionally, especially in the winter to keep that extra bit warmer.

I make hers, using a Suitability pattern, and usually wait until our local fabric discounter puts either leather or suede on sale. They are really not that difficult to sew-just be certain to use a proper leather needle-and can also be made from ultrasuede if you want something washable.

I do!!! And so do several other people that ride at the swanky hunter barn I've been riding at for the last couple years. I guess we're all old school! I finally broke down and bought myself a custom pair from Journeymens last year... I love 'em. I reserve my half chaps for hot summer days.

I'll send you a PM on TOC-- I have an old pair I'm not using that you're welcome to if they'd fit and if you want to pay for shipping. They're not the prettiest but they're suede!

I remember when I went to camp at a hunter-jumper barn in Pennsylvania in the 80s all the local kids had full chaps. Most wore them right over their "Bermuda" shorts and thus could quite quickly get comfortable when a lesson was over.

"Shotgun style" is primarily English riding chaps or what most people would recognize as "English riding chaps."

"Batwing style" is primarily Western riding chaps.

I wear Shotgun style as well as chinks when I go out riding in Montana with my uncle.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Batwing is flared and a lot of cutters use them to help hide the fact they might have to spur the horse a little too much. If you do a google, I'm sure you could find a pic. I'm my phone....

Shotguns are straight and fit your leg, not any excess out there except maybe fringe if you're feeling snazzy. The batwings are usually snazzed yp with conchos and sivler.

Chinks are a fringed (usually) half chap that comes down over your thigh and to right below the knee (yours).

As a kid, I saw english riders don a pair of leggings over there jodphurs for the western classes.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

P.S. You can buy shotgun chaps at most riding/tack stores in your area and online. Look up "schooling chaps."
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I still ride in mine! Got them off eBay for a steal ($40) and spent another $25 having them lightly altered.

Are there any tack swaps coming up in your area? There are always a few pair for sale at the swaps around here...
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I do and use year round-over pants in winter/ shorts in summer.
    I try to frequent my local tack stores.
    Although both Western show chaps [1 beige- 1 black] came off Ebay. for under $50 shipping included.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    "Shotgun style" is primarily English riding chaps or what most people would recognize as "English riding chaps."
    Point of clarification- both styles have their origins in western riding. But English riders use the shotgun style.

Random catalog photos:

Batwings:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cowboy-action...:referralID=NA

Shotguns (note for English one tends to not use the fringe...)

http://www.windstormranch.com/Shotgun%20Chaps.html

And then of course there are fur chaps, examples seen scrolling down this page:

http://www.vintagecostumers.com/wildwestm.jsp

Thanks for the explanations and pictures. That means I have shotgun chaps, not batwing. Nice and simple, no fringe or other stuff, love 'em.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Barrel Racers, & Dressage

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

I think these are good quality inexpensive ones: http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CD...llasara/191000

and I like the wyoming tack ones that come in lots of colors: http://www.wyotackroom.com/suenscch.html
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!