The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lilly is beautiful! I love those legs of hers, very stout she looks a bit like my Standardbred in the chest. Wide but not beyond the foot stance, I've seen some horses with really wide chests and then they narrow down at the base.

If you're game I'd love to share email adresses to keep in touch with each others goals. Since I live on the west coast I don't know if I will ever make it to HR, but what a good idea. That place is setup to help the rider succeed. If I'm going to do this I need to do it this year. I keep putting it off and off and off.

What say you that we prick our thumbs, spit on the ground and swear we will go to an actual hunt this year?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Too bad there's no smiley for oath taking! Sounds like a plan. I'll PM you.

Paula

Well, hey, if you can't get back east I can certainly facilitate a day at Red Rock in Reno. Could go with you in a hilltoppers group, guaranteed to go at a comfortable pace and yet see all the hound work.

Would have to be last half of October or later though. Going w/hubby on a riding safari in Africa late September...

Beverly,
    NOW that is bucket list material!!! Would love to hear about your experience on that trip.

Beverly!!! WOW a trip to Africa, too cool.

This coming Christmas holiday I am visiting Reno, depending on your schedule maybe we can meet.

Beverly...we MUST have pictures...and a full report.

Gestalt, you too....some pics of a Christmas hunt with Red Rock would be wonderful. I hope to make it there someday..

And is another fall CotH hunt being born (or hatched, I haven't decided which is best)? By all means, the veterans should be ready to pass the Kool Aid again, and we beginners will show up to get a few more hours on our learner's permits.

Thumbs up you're on your way!

it sounds s if you are on the right path; I would think that drag hunting would be less hazardous than live; Have you been able to find a seasoned field hunter?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Truthfully, a lot of it depends on your horse.

Is he steady? Will he jump without a dirty stop? When the field does a 180, will he stand there cropping grass or go all freaky? Does he look out for himself and you?

You're the weak spot in the group. Will you say, "Oh hell no, this isn't safe!"...or will you kick on and go with the group? Are you in good enough shape to ride a long time? Be honest. Can you stay out and still walk when you get off?

Good horse/Rider with brains...pretty safe endeavor.

Flaky horse/follower rider...fill out your organ donor card.

Most wind up somewhere in the middle.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Ah, well, yes the S. Africa trip will be duly reported in good time! And Reno around Xmas could happen. Just now I am in Paris and so don't have my planner with me...but let me hasten to add I am here helping my Dad visit France and Belgium, duty calls. I could whine that I missed steeplechasing AND show jumping in the neighborhood yesterday but I bet y'all wouldn't sympathize...did just have lunch with a friend with whom I rode horses over here in the early 70s! And to keep it on topic- we could plan a stag or boar hunting trip over here some time, that is also bucket list material...

Question The Risks of Hunting?

"The risks of hunting" for the title of the Fall hunting thread is so ironic!

We need a new title or thread if the koolaid is being passed around for the fall Va coth very long weekend. And we have the inaugural N.J. coth hunt weekend, too!
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Thumbs up hunt trail ride

Start with a trail ride with the local hunt during cubbing; still on a made horse; would take the speed element; also length/ endurance out ot the mix; there would most likely be a hill toppers group which goes through gates when possible; with some hunts that is not an option.I'm sure HR will give you good advice; remember, first step is a made horse.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    "The risks of hunting" for the title of the Fall hunting thread is so ironic!

We need a new title or thread if the koolaid is being passed around for the fall Va coth very long weekend. And we have the inaugural N.J. coth hunt weekend, too!
    I agree Maybe we should start a new thread with a heading something like "2011 'We can do it' Hunt Club"

Would love to be included in both the VA and NJ COTH hunt plans.....if possible....
    fall I assume....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Talking

Oooo! Retreadeventer!
    I would LOVE to have you join us! But! You must promise to spend some time with me discussing your adventures in eventing. Pleasantmeadow and Smartalex among others will want to join the round table or hack about.

Talk to Betsy, Hunter's Rest. BigBayTb is getting to chose the dates this time since she is bringing guests from Indiana and she is the original bringer of the tiaras and Limoncello/procecco libation.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Funny thing about HR; I went to the site when it was referred to in a post and absolutely fell in love. I am not one for vacations - I get easily bored, and don't see the appeal of sleeping in hotels and amusement parks, and heck I'm from the tropics so I've done the beach and I live in the woods so I don't need to "get away from it all" and then I went to HR's website and saw my vacation! I mean can you beat going to a B&B, riding horses, and getting a tune up on your training!!?

For sure the first time I'll use one of their hunters, but I see myself taking my future horsie there on vacation

I will PM HR.

Paula
    Paula, can you send me the website for HR?

TIA.

Sorry I missed this post. But thanks, jawa for answering. Isn't it awesome!

Paula