The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 14 year old Paint/TB Gelding - NJ

This "hony" gelding came to me after being poorly handled and ridden. He wasn't abused, but was badly scared, especially at the jumps. He is a total sweetheart. He has come so far in my program, but her really really doesn't like to jump. He will do it, but mostly after a big production.

He is sensitive and he can scoot/bolt when scared. He hasn't done it in a long time. He's not spooky, but if his rider isn't confident, he's not either. He has a gorgeous trot and his canter is coming along. He would make a cute low-level dressage horse or a great trail horse.

He is sound, barefoot, and an easy keeper. I didn't pay anything for him, and while I'd love to get a little back out of him, I'm more interested in getting him into a situation he'd be happier in and having the room to bring in a lesson horse that will do what I need them to do (w/t/c jump).

I believe he was gelded late. He is very interested in the mares and would do best not turned out with them. He can live and work in the same barn/ring as the mares, but I believe he'd have a hard time if he was turned out with mares. Otherwise, he's an easy turnout.

He needs a rider who is competent at the w/t and especially canter. If you can't keep your balance at the canter, he'll get faster and eventually run.

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuN-qP2kcuE
    Last edited by sanctuary; Apr. 18, 2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: add video link
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

bump
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn