The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 411
  1. #61
    MommaBear Guest

    Default

    Re: ChrissyMack (Pinehurst Stables)

    While I'm glad that your "risky" purchase ended up okay, your horse was obviously misrepresented, neglected, and possibly abused. Getting a good price is always nice, and yes buying anything sight unseen is risky, but we're not talking about furniture here; because these are living creatures that need to be protected, I truly believe that rather than "count your own blessings" you should have considered the animals left behind, called the local authorities, and maybe this man could have been stopped and the current drama suffered by The Harrier would never have happened.
    Last edited by MommaBear; Apr. 19, 2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: respond



  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2007
    Posts
    8,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpony321 View Post
    I'm sure [he] is taking horses from people for free and selling them off. [edit]
    I think you are right. Sad for all as where do most of them end up? Not with someone nice like OP.

    If someone forged the vet's name on documents, someone is going to really get his *** sued off by people who have been ripped off. And the dollar value for fraud is unlimited. Like on the caligari thread. Don't think scammers realize they can lose more than the actual value of the transaction. Time for punitive damages. Enough to take care of those 2 horses for the rest of their lives and to save more horses and to "punish" the scammer for his behavior.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 26, 2011 at 08:29 AM.



  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec. 22, 2000
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    14,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    If someone forged the vet's name on documents, someone is going to really get his *** sued off by people who have been ripped off. And the dollar value for fraud is unlimited.
    Hypothetically speaking....

    If someone forges the name of a retired vet, does the retired vet face any consequences? I hope not.



  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2007
    Posts
    8,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Hypothetically speaking....

    If someone forges the name of a retired vet, does the retired vet face any consequences? I hope not.
    Legally, no. If the vet's name was signed without his permission, the vet is innocent. If the vet allows someone to use his name, then he is a party to the crime or co-conspirator. But if a client uses a vet's name w/o his permission, then the vet is not liable. We used to have a vet here who did know that one BO was using his Ga license # to order drugs, but he didn't do anything and the woman was never turned in for it. Altho the vet was told, but he said he'd deny knowledge if anyone complained about it.

    if someone signed one of your checks w/o your permission, it would be forgery and you would not be liable civilly or criminally. . Forgery is a felony in SC. You can give someone permission to sign your name for legal purposes though.
    I'd think the high sheriff over there is going to be on this case.



  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec. 7, 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MommaBear View Post
    Re: ChrissyMack (Pinehurst Stables)

    While I'm glad that your "risky" purchase ended up okay, your horse was obviously misrepresented, neglected, and possibly abused. Getting a good price is always nice, and yes buying anything sight unseen is risky, but we're not talking about furniture here; because these are living creatures that need to be protected, I truly believe that rather than "count your own blessings" you should have considered the animals left behind, called the local authorities, and maybe this man could have been stopped and the current drama suffered by The Harrier would never have happened.
    I don't think there is a need to hide behind an alter with this as your first post- I take no offense, and we're all wanting the best outcome for this situation.

    I truly feel for The Harrier and her situation, and any others who had similar experiences, and most of all, the horses that are involved. However, the OP asked for any and all experiences to share, and I have shared my own.

    In my case, the horse that we received was not represented much differently than what was seen and discussed (with the exception of his not mentioning some prior fever lines on the feet). While underweight relative to how we keep our own horses, he was still of reasonable weight and otherwise healthy, it was not evident that he had been directly neglected or abused, and no grounds for local authorities to be called.

    Now that I have been made aware of hers and others stories, I am happy to help in any way I am able and can provide any information that will be helpful to them. However, my own firsthand experience was (fortunately!), not near to the extent or concern that theirs are. As another poster mentioned, this may just be due to the fact that the horse we purchased may not have been at MSF for the same length of time.

    I think, however, to indirectly imply that it is my fault that MSF is still involved in less than desireable practices and/or that I am indirectly responsible for the situation The Harrier is going through with her horses is a bit of a stretch
    Last edited by chrissymack; Apr. 28, 2011 at 03:11 PM.



  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    10,806

    Default

    *fires up the Dueling Banjos"
    SPACE FOR RENT



  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec. 7, 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Just looked up the health cert/coggins, and for the record (if it was still in question), indeed MSF IS Thompson Moore- he's listed as the owner on both papers.
    Both docs were done by legit vets at Southern Equine Service in Aiken.



  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2006
    Location
    Clemson, SC
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrissymack View Post
    Just looked up the health cert/coggins, and for the record (if it was still in question), indeed MSF IS Thompson Moore- he's listed as the owner on both papers.
    Both docs were done by legit vets at Southern Equine Service in Aiken.
    Wow, just wow.

    Fwiw, if anyone is pursuing legal action against him from out of state I offer a bedroom complete with dog kisses if you need to be in court. Although I am 45 mins from Greenwood county.

    Eta, I don't think anyone is directly accusing christymack for not possibly being able to stop what happen to the other horses. And I do agree, it is buyer beware, I have purchased 2 horses sight unseen from across the country due to cheap price. I am glad that this has become public knowledge, I hate seeing people who do this, especially multiple times. I am a whitsleblower in general, and I wish there was more I could do, but other than the typical lawyer threats I've never directly dealt with him.
    Zippos Kryptonite (Reno) 05' AQHA
    Little Miss Understood (Indy) 01' Appaloosa
    The Unturned Stone (Chase) 11' AQHA
    ~ Rescue Mom to: Hope, Ciara, Charlotte, Ace, Knox



  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrissymack View Post
    I don't think there is a need to hide behind an alter with this as your first post- I take no offense, and we're all wanting the best outcome for this situation.

    I truly feel for The Harrier and her situation, and any others who had similar experiences, and most of all, the horses that are involved. However, the OP asked for any and all experiences to share, and I have shared my own.

    In my case, the horse that we received was not represented much differently than what was seen and discussed (with the exception of his not mentioning some prior fever lines on the feet). While underweight relative to how we keep our own horses, he was still of reasonable weight and otherwise healthy, it was not evident that he had been directly neglected or abused, and no grounds for local authorities to be called.

    Now that I have been made aware of hers and others stories, I am happy to help in any way I am able and can provide any information that will be helpful to them. However, my own firsthand experience was (fortunately!), not near to the extent or concern that theirs are. As another poster mentioned, this may just be due to the fact that the horse we purchased may not have been at MSF for the same length of time.

    I think, however, to indirectly imply that it is my fault that MSF is still involved in less than desireable practices and/or that I am indirectly responsible for the situation The Harrier is going through with her horses is a bit of a stretch.
    First of all, I am not using an alter. I don't know how to check IP addresses but I assure you it is not me. I have forwarded this link to friends and family so it could be someone on my bandwagon but in no way do I think you are responsible for anything pertaining to this man and the treatment of his horses. I am SO GLAD that your horse arrived to you in decent shape but I think the bottom line is that nobody wants to see this happen to anyone else and to make sure that no other animals are suffering. I think with every forum you are going to see some "healthy" debate - but take from it what you may. Lets keep this light everyone! No pointing fingers here, just trying to do whats right for the critters that don't have a voice otherwise.



  10. #70
    MommaBear Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrissymack View Post
    I don't think there is a need to hide behind an alter with this as your first post- I take no offense, and we're all wanting the best outcome for this situation.

    I truly feel for The Harrier and her situation, and any others who had similar experiences, and most of all, the horses that are involved. However, the OP asked for any and all experiences to share, and I have shared my own.

    In my case, the horse that we received was not represented much differently than what was seen and discussed (with the exception of his not mentioning some prior fever lines on the feet). While underweight relative to how we keep our own horses, he was still of reasonable weight and otherwise healthy, it was not evident that he had been directly neglected or abused, and no grounds for local authorities to be called.

    Now that I have been made aware of hers and others stories, I am happy to help in any way I am able and can provide any information that will be helpful to them. However, my own firsthand experience was (fortunately!), not near to the extent or concern that theirs are. As another poster mentioned, this may just be due to the fact that the horse we purchased may not have been at MSF for the same length of time.

    I think, however, to indirectly imply that it is my fault that MSF is still involved in less than desireable practices and/or that I am indirectly responsible for the situation The Harrier is going through with her horses is a bit of a stretch.
    An alter? This is indeed my first post. I have been reading the chronicle for years & never felt a need to post until my blood boiled at your "cavalier" tutorial on "buyer beware". I was so outraged that you were feeling so "lucky" that things turned out so well for you and tacitly berating the poor soul who was flamboozled, I was "compelled" to JOIN and REPLY.

    Your post clearly indicated that the horse you received had been neglected and you had a responsibility to report the neglect rather than to feel "fortunate" & ignore the possibility that there might be more creatures being neglected and abused. Shame on you.



  11. #71
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2009
    Posts
    880

    Default Whoa there, MommaBear

    I understand your feelings about ChrissyMack's post, I don't think she meant to be as "cavalier" as she may have come across. She simply offered a story about MSF that went against the grain, thats all...

    Let's not forget that this thread is about Thompson and his quackery and quattlebaumery- we should unite to find a solution to the problem that is Mr. Moore! Leave ChrissyMack for the time being, as I'm reasonably confident that she actually feeds her horses



  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2000
    Location
    Full time in Delhi, NY!
    Posts
    6,392

    Default

    I'm smelling popcorn!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

    "Life is merrier with a terrier!"



  13. #73
    MommaBear Guest

    Default Agreed

    It is sometimes difficult to discern a "state of mind" through a post and when it comes to the welfare of animals, I AM easily outraged (which is not always a good thing!) So as I was reading this thread, I was looking for not just empathy for the people being duped and the animals being mistreated, but a plan of action to make sure it doesn't happen again. The post in question gave me an uncomfortable feeling that getting "lucky" was better than being proactive about animal neglect. That being said, you are absolutely right that the imperative is to stop what's happening both to the buyers and the animals and I'm totally impressed with the help being offered here.



  14. #74
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpony321 View Post
    I understand your feelings about ChrissyMack's post, I don't think she meant to be as "cavalier" as she may have come across. She simply offered a story about MSF that went against the grain, thats all...

    Let's not forget that this thread is about Thompson and his quackery and quattlebaumery- we should unite to find a solution to the problem that is Mr. Moore! Leave ChrissyMack for the time being, as I'm reasonably confident that she actually feeds her horses
    Couldn't have said it better myself, however, I do think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and way of expressing their feelings. Right or wrong, everyone handles things differently. I think chrissymack did come off a bit "cavalier" at first, but she also came off as rational and compassionate - and I can respect that. On a different note - Quattlebaumery - LOVE IT. I think this needs to be added to the unwritten dictionary of the horse world.

    UPDATE: In terms of the horses - little grey known as "Cascade" still has a VERY swollen lymphnode. Normal vitals still and just as sweet as can be. Very head shy but I am going to blame that on his painful lymphnode. The chestnut known as "Odessy" is still pretty ouchy on his foundered foot but his reverse shoe seems to be helping him get around. Our farrier comes out Thursday to set him up with pads and a bar shoe. I think he's going to make a wonderful pasture ornament as he is just stunning to look at. Gave both kisses and lots of hay and tucked them in for the night.



  15. #75
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2008
    Posts
    1,722

    Default

    I'm so glad those two found a home with you and hope they continue to improve. So sorry for those left behind.
    Last edited by Carolinadreamin'; Apr. 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.



  16. #76
    Join Date
    Dec. 7, 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    977

    Default

    I work during the day (and don't get a chance to watch the horses go), but in talking about our MSF horse today, my husband made me aware that the horse roars, which had not been disclosed to us, despite having asked directly about vices/health issues/unsoundness...so it sounds like even in our case (although not as extreme or alarming), while still a lovely horse, we were sold something other than what was described, and the seller was less than forthcoming/honest.



  17. #77
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    11,263

    Default

    It is hard to believe they are the same horses. Wow.

    So glad they landed with you.



  18. #78
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2001
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Can someone local call the ASPCA on this guy?



  19. #79
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Turns out the health certificate and coggins were done by a legitimate vet, however, (wait for it) they were done at the vale horse auction in NC. Spoke with the vet and he claims that the horses he saw had shoes on and there was no horse that foundered...hmmm. Whatever the case may be, the vet was very helpful and said that he was told these horses had been traveling for about two weeks and that was the "reason" for them being skinny. The vet said he reassured him that this should not happen during travel. Not sure what the TRUE story is but we will see.
    Last edited by TheHarrier; Apr. 22, 2011 at 02:32 PM.



  20. #80
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2001
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    485

    Default

    This is getting stranger and stranger. TheHarrier, I'm sorry for what you've been through with these poor horses and commend you for not giving up the fight!



Similar Threads

  1. Campbell Springs Farm, Chesterfield VA?
    By Fahrenheit'91 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Aug. 1, 2012, 11:12 AM
  2. Dianne Randolph and Hidden Springs Farm
    By Savoy 8 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr. 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
  3. don't know what to do about mallard
    By gomoms in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May. 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
  4. Flowing springs farm (PA)
    By Nalter in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb. 25, 2010, 10:25 PM
  5. Florianus at Iron Springs Farm
    By STF in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov. 30, 2009, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness