The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default BAD BAD MARE!! I'm not laughing!!!

Ok, one of my maidens thought she would play a joke on me this afternoon. I was joking around on FB about one of my mares foaling today/tonight because the cell towers are down here and none of our phones are working. So, I go and feed dinner around 4pm all is normal, then I start turning out for the night. This mare goes out last because she is quiet and doesn't mind being the last one left in the barn. Ok, go to get her and she is pawing a hole in the floor. Keeps pawing holes all over the floor, acts like she is thinking about going down. looks very pathetic with lowered head, poops a bit, pees, and keeps pawing. I am able to get vet on my landline and she says turn her out and see what she does(wasn't sure if her belly hurt or she was doing what I hoped she was doing). Sure enough drag her out to the field where she has been happily and quietly grazing for the last 4 1/2 hours now. She stirred me up enough that I am going to keep an extra close eye on her tonight just in case, but geez, come on!! When I do go out and peek at her I swear you can see her smiling at me!! I'm also sure she will not foal tonight, because the phones just came back online in the last hour!!!! Rain on friday, maybe then if there is lots of lightning in the forecast!

Braxton Hicks. Hehehe....
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Gotta love maidens!!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Don't worry, I'm sure she's laughing hard enough for both of you .

ROFL - yeah I got a phone call at 9pm that "that mare is looking REAL uneasy and I *think* she's starting to go into labor". So as I am thinking about the headache of getting the baby up and into the truck for the trip back to the farm - I stop to ask "which chestnut mare?" and get "you know the one with the collar on her" - *sigh* yeah the one that is NOT going to foal tonight according to everything I checked today.... sure enough she was just uncomfy and when they called back 15 minutes later she was just standing there drinking water and cribber (yup with her cribbing collar on she was cribbing). I told them check her later and call me if she is laying down pushing..... otherwise I'll see her in the morning.
    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany

I knew once the cell towers were back up she would do nothing!! I was so much fun to watch me jog back and forth from the house to the barn to make calls! On the bright side, there are storms coming tomorrow night and the weekend right around the corner for higher vet/farm calls, so perhaps this weekend!

Actually the mare's bday is Sat, so I am hoping for her to have it then so they can share a bday.

Full moon on the 17th! just sayin!!