The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spring Sillies

Anyone know what exactly causes this in horses? Both mine have it, BAD. Neither are on grain (only some alfalfa pellets). Is it the sugar in the grass?

We blame it on hormones, but who knows?

I'm a heck of a lot more full of life when the sun is out and the thermometer is on the plus side of 60 degrees...

Oh, wait, maybe that's hormones, too...
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

I always chuckle when I hear the term "March Madness" as this totally applies to my mare as well! That's about the time she loses her mind for about 6 weeks.

I think its a combo of hormones and dry ground. When the footing it dry and solid, she takes every advantage of it by running, doing airs above ground, and running some more. This time of year, I never get on without lunging for a good 20 minutes before to make sure all the craziness is expended while I'm NOT on her.

I think it's combo of sugar in grass, transitional heats for some mares, and just like people, I think, after months of rain - we're very excited to see the sunshine!

Huh, well I have two geldings so I could blame it on hormones, but I'm really the one suffering from that.

I was curious if there was anything scientific about it. Mine have made use of every inch of pasture to gallop around in lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    Huh, well I have two geldings so I could blame it on hormones, but I'm really the one suffering from that.

I was curious if there was anything scientific about it. Mine have made use of every inch of pasture to gallop around in lately.
    LOL! Well, not scientific - but I do also observe that whenever there is constant rain for a few days or gloomy weather and then a day of sun - they all have significant gallop time when the weather turns nice!

My mares have been bonkers Homones, grass, warm weather.......

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    Anyone know what exactly causes this in horses? Both mine have it, BAD.
    I went outside at dawn to feed the chickens and bring the horses in. It was a bit chilly.

In the distance I see Tweedledee and Tweedledum playing graba**. The third horse, a very sweet sensible type, is sweetly and sensibly off to one side, refereeing.

Or so I thought.

As I look back I realize that they were all a little bug eyed and high headed.

I waddle down to the barn in my flannel jammies, dairy boots and Carharrt jacket. (Country Chic )

Barn doors are closed so I can't see what is going on outside.

All of a sudden I hear the sound of thundering hooves. Closer and closer. Then nothing. Then thundering hooves, the sound diminishing in the distance. Then nothing. Then thundering hooves, getting closer and closer.

I just had to look.

The Three Stooges were galloping and galloping and bucking and farting and galloping round and round and round, then sliding to a halt in front of the gate, then turning around and galloping and galloping and bucking and farting and galloping and sliding to a halt in front of the fence.

Oh for God's sake.

I wouldn't let them in until they knocked it off, and as they walked into their stalls I counted shoes.

Yup - one shoe missing. Oh that's just peachy.

All that before my first cup of coffee.

Definitely hormones for maresy...geez, louise. She's pretty alpha, so she constantly feels like she needs to know what's going on, who's where, why and how. When she's in heat, that "need to know" escalates majorly. Yesterday's ride was exciting, to say the least.

Consistent work, even if it's lunging with side reins, seems to help her brain settle in. But, it almost makes me wish for the heat and humidity of summer to slow her mind down a bit.