The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What size clipper blades?

I've decide to shave two of my ponies tomorrow (show is on Saturday, close, I know), but I can't take the hair! Anyways, what would be a good clipper blade size to body clip at this stage? I have two pairs of clippers, Andis and Oster. Normally I pay somebody to do it, but I waited too long this year!

Any info would be greatly appreciated
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I use a 7 blade and really like the results. Looks more like a normal summer coat than a "clipped coat".

Awesome thank you That's what I was hoping for!
    Facebook Page.

I clip professionally - I'd suggest a 10. I've used the 7 before, but IME, you will have more shine and smoothness with the 10. Just moisturize their coats really well after.

My best results come from thoroughly hosing down with warm/hot water after clip, dry and then liberally spraying the Pink Healthy Hair Care stuff or bathe with Cowboy Magic conditioner all over the coat.

Let them be to the point of being almost oily for a couple days and then good bath before the show. This gets you the most shine & the color back in their coats, especially since the show is soon.

Okay, I borrowed some clippers today and they had a 10 blade on them. It seems to be working well. They are getting dull though, so I will need to get a new blade tomorrow.

I did it tonight, so no bathing or else the little buddy would freeze. I did slather baby oil all over the clipped half of him. I'll give him a good moisturizing bath tomorrow

I will keep the oil on him liberally.

Is a 10 blade good for legs and face as well?
    Facebook Page.

I would use a 30 blade for his muzzle, around his eyes, in his ears, and on any white leg markings. Blend as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    Okay, I borrowed some clippers today and they had a 10 blade on them. It seems to be working well. They are getting dull though, so I will need to get a new blade tomorrow.

I did it tonight, so no bathing or else the little buddy would freeze. I did slather baby oil all over the clipped half of him. I'll give him a good moisturizing bath tomorrow

I will keep the oil on him liberally.

Is a 10 blade good for legs and face as well?
    Yes -

How close you want to clip the face, ears, etc. would depend on what type of showing, i.e. what division you'll be doing. Just stick with what you think the style or trends are for that. If the show is this weekend, I would personally either do a 10 or 15 on any socks, wouldn't do a higher blade because there won't be much time for hair to grow back and you might have overly pink legs.

When you buy the blade - if they have the ceramic blades, those are the best for clipping - you shouldn't have to sharpen them and will stay cooler for your clippers.

Best luck at the show!