The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Spinoff... What are Quarter Horse (QH) people?

Exactly.... What are "Quarter Horse (QH) people"?

We own two, but some how it's become a descriptive label.

Is it an insult? or something to be proud of?

Qh people, Warmblood people, Arab people. It just denotes your breed of choice and all the things commonly associated with that breed almost always in terms of "showing". Some breeds have seperate catagories though, like Tenessee Walker People and "Big Lick" people (not to be confused with each other). Nearly all the "breed people" have developed some sort of a "bad rap" do the drive to win in the show ring, this leads the general practice of EXTREMES. Those extremes, because they are so "loud" so to speak, then become the general label for an entire breed and the group of people that show them. ITs life and is not limited to the horse world.

Depends on who's askin' and why they are asking.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Yeah, but.... I am definitely an "Appaloosa Person," but you wouldn't catch me at a breed show unless I had an open jumper. My Appies have all been event horses, dressage horses, hunter/jumpers - shown open. For years, the ONLY breed show I would go to would be the one-day show at the Grand National Horse Show in San Francisco when they had "Appaloosa Day" and even then, I only showed over fences (figured the ApHC judges couldn't mess THAT up too badly!). When I retired my last eventer (that's two horses back now), I took him to a couple of breed shows, over fences only, and he was Circuit Champion Jumper at age 19 without ever even having to jump off once (3 day show). Because some other people INSISTED, I entered a HUS class, and that horse, who had WON HUS against TBs and WBs, went unplaced, even though he was "hoof perfect" for OPEN showing.

So, I would NOT want to be called an Appaloosa Person if it meant people who exhibited at breed shows! ROFLOL

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    Qh people, Warmblood people, Arab people. It just denotes your breed of choice and all the things commonly associated with that breed almost always in terms of "showing". Some breeds have seperate catagories though, like Tenessee Walker People and "Big Lick" people (not to be confused with each other). Nearly all the "breed people" have developed some sort of a "bad rap" do the drive to win in the show ring, this leads the general practice of EXTREMES. Those extremes, because they are so "loud" so to speak, then become the general label for an entire breed and the group of people that show them. ITs life and is not limited to the horse world.
    I refer to someone as an insert the breed here person when he or she prefers that breed over others. It really doesn't have anything to do with showing for me.

The majority of people at my barn are what I would call QH or (more accurately) stock horse people. Most trail ride and ride in western tack, but most don't go to AQHA events or compete in cutting or roping or any other stock events. They just prefer stock-type horses.

ETA -- where did that frowny red face come from on my post? I'm not mad at anyone. Certainly not "QH people."

To me, a QH person is someone who owns only QH's and looks down on anyone who owns any horse that is not a QH. They go to breed shows and ride either western or hunt seat and are have a general air of "my poo doesn't stink". Thats just what it means to me, from my personal exp.

To me, they are people who primarily own/show/ride quarter horses as opposed to other breeds. Similarly, a warmblood or tb person would be someone that primarily rides warmbloods or tbs. It just denotes breed preference. You can also have "hunter/jumper" people or "western" people, etc. It may not mean that they only do those disciplines but they prefer them.

FWIW, I do not consider it an insult.

To me, a QH person owns QHs and either currently shows or has previously shown them in breed shows. If its previously, I wouldn't use the term unless the person retained some of the vocabulary or behavior from the breed show world.

When I hear the term QH people, I think of those that do the QH circuit religiously. It's interesting though as I do own some QH's and really do like the breed, but I don't consider myself a QH Person, I'm not quite of the same mentality. Having said that, I would like the next horse I purchase to be a QH jumper so that I can show both the QH shows in the jumpers as well as my local C and A shows.

I don't think it's an insult. I consider myself a QH Person because I am a big fan of the QHs and Paints, and will most likely always have one. I think a 'QH person' is one who tends to show or be involved in the breed circuit, but certainly can also be involved with open and USEF shows as well. They are typically an ambassador of the breed and proud of it, much as others are of their own favorite breed.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I consider it to be just a descriptive term used to acknowledge a breed preference when talking with or about someone. I own an Arab, and I have been described as "an Arab person" by my trainer, by my BO and by others within our local horse community. I might introduce myself to someone and have them say "Oh, you're the Arab person so-and-so was telling me about".

I have never seen such descriptive language as insulting. Of course, I don't think I walk around with a chip on my shoulder, daring non-Arab people to knock it off, either. So I could be very wrong.
    Sheilah

Since at this time I have 2 AQHAs...I've come to the conclusion that Quarter Horse person is someone fully involved in AQHA. Breed shows, Congress, etc.

At least that's what I think many people mean. Because nowadays when I'm asked what kind of horses I have, when I say 2 QHs the other person often says, "You're a QH person." Okay, I guess right now I kinda am. I did finally join the AQHA just a few weeks ago, but that was only to get a discount on my next tractor, LOL! I don't plan on showing AQHA. I have 2 geldings so definitely won't be breeding either.

I used to get the "Oh you're a DQ" or "Oh, you're a Warmblood person" when I had a KWPN mare.

When basically, I'm just an average garden variety Horse Person. And Pony Person. (I'm pony sized, plus who doesn't love ponies?)

Gotta say I'm really enjoying my QHs. Versatile and fun, fun, fun! One is awesome at anything speedy, cowy, etc...not WP but all ranch horse. he can lope or canter and gallops just fine. Has a trot, not a jog but it's comfy as heck.
    The other one is a tad taller and longer legged and has one heckuva decent sweepy trot and is also speedy and fun.
    This breed seems to come in a nice assortment to cover whatever you want to do. And they do it pretty well.

Kinda like an Appaloosa (which is my fave) but with less Appitude. (although I like the appytude)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

In some cases, when I hear the phrase "QH people," I think in terms of the people who (as others have already said) strictly do QH events. I've met some "QH people" who know little to nothing about what goes on in the horse industry outside of their own breed shows. Some are also so deeply involved that they often seem to forget that it IS just ONE breed, there's a whole wide world of other breeds and disciplines, and they can't comprehend that many non-QH people really aren't interested in Congress results.

That's not exclusive to the breed - any breed, type, color or discipline you can think of, there are "people" for it. And some of them do have stereotypes surrounding them.

There are people in the TWH industry who are all about the Big Lick (happy to say, that mentality seems to be on the decline), while there are others who are very careful to specify that they are "natural TWH" people.

Then there are the "Appy" people and the "Paint" people. There are "Arab people" and "Warmblood people" and "TB people/OTTB people" (some are careful to make that distinction as well).

As far as the QH breed, it's a huge registry with a wide following, and people use their QHs for a wide variety of things. Maybe to some segments of the horse industry, the breed has a reputation for being an easy-going, even-tempered mosey-down-the-trail kind of animal that may be better-suited for a novice rider.

So calling someone a "QH person" could be taken to mean that someone is a backyard novice, recreational trail riding type. Then again, it could just mean that the person owns QHs or another stock breed.

In any case, I don't think calling someone a "(breed) person" is worthy of over-analyzing or getting one's panties in a wad.

Unless, of course, you're a "Gypsy Vanner person."

They really are a bunch of suckers.

(Yes, I'm KIDDING!!!)
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

See, I would consider myself a QH person. I have only owned QHs, have shown heavily on the QH circuit both Western and Hunt Seat. However, I made the choice to concentrate on over fences, and have moved over to doing a lot of USEF shows with a USEF trainer. I still go to some QH shows that have O/F classes, but I show some A/AA shows on my QH. I will sometimes ride my trainers Tb or Wb as well and I enjoy them, but I just love my QH. There is something about them that is just more comfortable to me. But nobody believes she is a QH - they all think Tb, but heck, she isn't even appendix. She's primarily halter bred with one Tb 3 generations back on one side. But if they can get down the line and have the look and scope, who cares what the papers say.

I guess then, that my barn is bi-polar....er, bi-winning. When we do the QH shows, we are frequently referred to as USEF people. When we do the USEF shows, we are 'those QH people.' At least it helps me figure out where I am at any point in time

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I have a little different take on this and mind you, it is rather tongue in cheek. It has to do with pinning people down to a breed or discipline not by the horse standing right next to them but their Clothes!! It a little game I play with some of my close friends when we are out and about at various events. We try to determine what breed or discipline of choice by the overall fashion and fad choices. for instance:

QH person - crepe sole boots, slightly curled at the toe, highly sprayed cowgirl hair, jeans with plenty of rumple down around the ankles, big belt preferably with lots of bling.

Arab person - Ariat paddock boots, cell phone on one hip, walkie talkie on the other, magazine perfect hair, nails and makeup, fur trimmed vest.

Warmblood/dressage rider - Joules brand polo shirt, custom boots, ball cap, big jewels.

TWH person - Show clothes several years behind the other breed styles, loud southern drawl but not the dreamy romantic kind, pack of smokes in their back pocket, one hanging from their lip as they ride.

you get the idea, it's just for fun...sometimes part of the fun of going to my horse shows amongst the Arab crowd is getting to be somewhat clean and pulled together in public versus my usual hired farm hand sleeping under the porch attire. I am super lazy about my appearence and my mother and aunts are always griping at me to "put on a little beauty aids".
    I see the breed and discipline identifiers as just like highschool. We are a species that needs identity.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    To me, a QH person is someone who owns only QH's and looks down on anyone who owns any horse that is not a QH. They go to breed shows and ride either western or hunt seat and are have a general air of "my poo doesn't stink". Thats just what it means to me, from my personal exp.
    And this would differ from some TB/WB/Arab/Saddlebred/Appy/ whatever people in what way?
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    And this would differ from some TB/WB/Arab/Saddlebred/Appy/ whatever people in what way?
    Are there really snobby Thoroughbred people?! I thought "Thoroughbred person" was pretty much just synonymous with "Eventer"...and we all know what THAT means
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Well, though I have mostly owned quarter horses, I guess I consider myself just 'horse people.' But- whether a group is referred to as 'qh' or 'dressage' or 'eventing' or 'whatever' people, I guess I have heard that sort of thing in a good or bad way, depending.

My own experience is that in any designated 'group' there's good and bad and in between, so to me comments about 'groups' as generalizations are fraught with peril and inaccuracy.

I hear that phrase and think AQHA breed show people. Halter, WP, HUS, etc. I started off riding when I was a kid at a QH barn--they did all the major breed shows, Congress, etc., and I learned WP and showmanship.

I have a QH now, but I don't think of myself as a "QH person" because we don't do breed shows--I don't have papers for him. I'm a QH person in that I like the breed, but my focus is on my own individual horse and the various things I want to do with him (hunters, reining, etc.), not on success within the AQHA world. I have a friend who breeds QHs, but I don't consider him a "QH person" necessarily because his focus is on working ranch and cow horses and cutters/reiners, not on the breed show circuit.

Likewise, there's a girl at my barn with a Morgan, and then there's the "Morgan people," who have a saddleseat Morgan, do Morgan shows, are very focused on the Morgan breed, etc.