The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default new horses from a questionable farm

I am getting 3 new horses from a farm with questionable health practices. One is a small older pony, one a 2 year old large pony, and one a 9 year old mare. The 2 year old was born on that farm.

Horses were all kept together (around 50 or more) on a 50 acre pasture. Grain is fed by pooring about 15 bags of feed on the ground and letting the horses get what they can. I doubt they are getting wormed at all, just kind of left to their own devices.

I am planning on keeping the 3 new horses in a seperate dry lot from my horses. How long should I quarentine them? What worming protocal would you use (I am not able to get fecal samples on these horses)
    Last edited by Lmabernathy; Apr. 13, 2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling ;-)

I quarantine for 3 weeks.

Would definitely start with a round of Ivermectin for everyone. Then get your fecals run in prep for a Power Pack.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I qaratine anywhere from 2 -4 weeks. and get them checked out, and immunized before they contact other horses on the property.

Before doing any worming whatsoever... however I would get fecals -
    I once suggested getting a fecal for a 2 yr old off the range mustang at a barn nearby. I got the rolly eyes, you dont know what you are talking about..
    he coliced (due to massive worm kill) and died.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

FECs in prep for a Power Pack - why? The FEC won't show encysted strongyles.

Ideally, yes, you will get a FEC done on each horse. If that's just not going to happen, then if you're wiggy about hitting them with something hard, at least do a dose of either fenbendazole or pyrantel pamoate. Those will cause a partial die-off. 4 weeks later hit them with Equimax. Or, just do Equimax right off the bat.

If your main concern is parasites your Ok.
    But, it never hurts to have a more active Bio-hazard plan.
    Keep them isolated, but remember you can be a carrier.
    The easiest method is to use painters jumpsuits when your with them.
    Take off and leave there, remember shoes either booties or change shoes, gloves & it doesn't hurt to wear gloves & cover hair.

Items are great if you have 2 sets-feed tubs, mucking equipment, hoses.
    And feed, if you can store/use a separate hay/feed supply.
    And most certainly don't share brushes.

I have Zimectrin Gold already. Can I use that on them?

My vet recommended a powerpac or quest. I am a little weary of using quest on ponies I don't know the worming history on.

OK....I have a possibly dumb question.

I understand about quarantining for things such as lice, skin conditions like ring worm, etc. BUT if your (generic) own herd is fully immunized against things like rhino, flu, strangles and such that are horse to horse communicable, aren't your horses protected from whatever they new ones could bring in? I mean, isn't that the point of doing vaccinations....to prevent your horses from getting things from exposure to other horses that may have things?

This was the reasoning requiring health care workers be vaccinated for hepatitis and flu and half a dozen other things if we were in high contact areas (ER for instance)....we couldn't very well quarantine people walking in for care so protecting the workers was the goal.

So if your herd is fully vaccinated what is the purpose of quarantine?
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I don't think you should use Quest on horses that are potentially very wormy. Get a fecal first. Quest has been associated with bad reactions in wormy horses because of the big die-off.

I don't have my horses vaccinated against communicable diseases. I have never had a problem with them contracting any of these illnesses and I don't want to over vaccinate.

I have the means to keep new horses completely seperated from the rest including no shared fence lines so I like to use that option instead.

I work in the school system and don't get flu shots either. I like to let my own immunity fight off illnesses. I found that living on a farm and working in a high school I get sick very rarely. My biggest problem is Migraines LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lmabernathy View Post
    I have Zimectrin Gold already. Can I use that on them?
    Yes, you can, but have your vet on standby juuuuust in case it starts to cause problems with a big die-off. Also, be aware that ZG is known to cause ulcer issues. Next time, get Equimax

You could also do a double dose of pyrantel pamoate for the tapeworms now, and in 4 weeks use plain ivermectin. That will space the die-off out a bit.

My vet recommended a powerpac or quest. I am a little weary of using quest on ponies I don't know the worming history on.
    If they are in good weight, it's fine. But as you said, there is the issue of a large die-off. A Power Pack would probably not be the thing I'd start with, as I'd want to go after anything that is actively shedding eggs so they aren't going to start infecting your pastures.

You do need to get the tapeworms, sooner rather than later IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmabernathy View Post
    I don't have my horses vaccinated against communicable diseases. I have never had a problem with them contracting any of these illnesses and I don't want to over vaccinate.

I have the means to keep new horses completely seperated from the rest including no shared fence lines so I like to use that option instead.

I work in the school system and don't get flu shots either. I like to let my own immunity fight off illnesses. I found that living on a farm and working in a high school I get sick very rarely. My biggest problem is Migraines LOL

I don't do flu shots either (for myself) due to an allergic reaction as a teen....and have never had the flu (now mid 60's). I did get west nile (but there's no human vaccine anyway) as did one of my horses...we both survived and the vet suggests that the immunity from having had this will allow my one horse lifelong immunity and the others likely are immune as well from "vaccinations" from infected mosquitoes and either no illness or subclinical cases so don't do this either. I do do rhino shots for pregnant mares but there are no cases of various sleeping sicknesses in this area for years so not sure that vaccinating for them is necessary (so don't).
    Strangles is a fact of life here with the mustang herds apparently acting as a reservoir...but the cases I've had have been very mild and none have had repeat infections (and vet suggests that this is possibly long term or even life-long immunity compared to questionable levels for relatively short periods from vaccine) so I don't vaccinate for it either.

I think that perhaps part of the reason for little in the way of illnesses in both myself and my horses is that we don't live in a barn and are outside on fields year round (the horses) and I'm out much of the day as well. Or maybe just blessed with good immune systems.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Please pose all these questions to your vet. Only the vet can offer an opinion on proper quarantine protocols, IF you should worm now, and with what product. If these horses aren't in good flesh, as in they've been neglected and are true 'rescues', deworming them too early after moving might stress them excessively.

CoTH is great. A vet who knows your specific situation and can their get hands-on these animals is the best.