The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to find used saddles?

I've looked at my local tack stores but they want alot of money for their saddles.
    Any other ideas to find used saddles in good shape for reasonable prices?
    I have my show saddle but it is getting old and needs to be reflocked I think. I have an older Beval hunter saddle that I hate. It's too flat and not comfortable. I just bought a western saddle from Big D. It's not real great but it works for trail rides.
    I want to buy another good jumping saddle but I can't afford to pay much more than $1000.
    Any websites or stores?

If you know what saddle/size you need, ebay can be great. But you really have to know what's going to fit. Try to find someone who has a similar saddle that you can sit in and try on your horse (and maybe even ride in), and if it works, take to stalking ebay listings to find a used one. Other than that, it's just been chance for me - once I found a good deal at my tack store, another time I swapped saddles with someone at my barn. Another one I got on ebay (after trying the same model) and sold it there as well.

Oh also http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/ seems to have a good selection, but I haven't personally used them.

Ebay, CL, and Horseclicks.com are great for deals, but you have to know what you're looking for, what you're looking at, etc to know if it's a good deal. It takes time to find the right saddle at the right price. I feel your pain, took me 4 months to find the used CWD I'm riding in right now.

Classic Saddlery, classicsaddlery.com (I think), has great deals on new and demo Toulouse saddles. A friend of mine got the Celine model new for $650 and she loves it.

EBay is the low cost route but as people said, you need to know what you want or be prepared to resell it.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

http://www.highendusedsaddles.com/

friend of mine just bought a gorgeous PJs from there, and their prices seem to be a lot lower than some I've seen elsewhere

Also I second ebay and recommend http://www.allthebestusedsaddles.com/ Its Beval's used saddle website (but they have all kinds of saddles.) If you live near a Bevals they can get the saddle to the store closest to you and you can take it on trial

The high end French saddles are always going to be more than $1K unless they are in terrible shape.

If you don't want to go the eBay route I'd try local equestrian forums (we have one in the NE called equinesite.com, association bulletin boards, or Craig's list.) In some case these folks will let you try the saddle before buying.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by kahhull View Post
    Oh also http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/ seems to have a good selection, but I haven't personally used them.
    I've used them! The new saddle I ordered from a catalog was taking MUCH longer than anticipated so on a whim I tried a fantastic slightly used saddle. The saddle arrived on time and the instructions (the do's and don'ts) were very clear. The customer service from this company was great. I was so happy with the saddle and fit I canceled my order for the new saddle.I even received a Christmas card from them this year! I will be a repeat customer when the time comes to buy/sell again.

Lightningg (yes, two g's) has a large inventory of used saddles. I believe you can find their used saddles at usedsaddles.com and Beval's has a wide seletion of consignment saddles.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterlover17 View Post
    I've used them! The new saddle I ordered from a catalog was taking MUCH longer than anticipated so on a whim I tried a fantastic slightly used saddle. The saddle arrived on time and the instructions (the do's and don'ts) were very clear. The customer service from this company was great. I was so happy with the saddle and fit I canceled my order for the new saddle.I even received a Christmas card from them this year! I will be a repeat customer when the time comes to buy/sell again.
    I had a similar experience with this company. I also highly record them!

www.saddlesolution.com

Michelle is great to work with and has a very nice selection.

Posting general recommendations of third-party resources for used saddles is A-OK, but please avoid posts re: your own tack for sale (or specifics about the type of saddle wanted) to comply with our advertising policies.

We've removed a couple of posts.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

Default Pelham Saddlery

I just bought DG Stackhouse in great condition from Pelham (www.pelham-saddlery.com/). The sales people were quite friendly, accommodated my long list of questions and made the process super easy.