The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Durable Riding Gloves?

I need suggestions for tried and true, durable riding gloves!

I feel like I'm buying a new pair of SSGs every year and I only ride one horse, typically!! Each pair disintegrates at the thumb, always the right, first, progresses to the palm under my ring finger next and it's downhill for there. Historically, I've been wearing the SSG All Weather gloves. I tried a pair of the SSG crochet ones and I'm wearing through the knuckles in 3 months!

I don't need a bunch a features, just comfort/fit and maybe some breathability. I would prefer black in color (I have a pair of fun colored ones I'm saving ONLY of xc!), but really at this point I don't care for day to day riding! Synthetic, leather or a combination doesn't matter either, though black leather always turn my hands blue!

What sort of price range? I was thinking about this the other day too. I really like Greenhawk's cheap crochet-back gloves (beige) and buy them whenever they go on sale for about $14-15. I was thinking that I wear through them in about 6 months. But if I spend $30/year on cheap gloves, would I do any better with expensive gloves?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Try different brands to see which one fits the shape of YOUR hand. If they don't fit properly, there is a lot of wear on the part that doesn't fit.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

That's odd, because I'm just starting to wear out my SSGs, which are 5 years old. I would be inclined to think that fit does figure into this.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I have the ovation crochet gloves (the leather on the hand part and crochet on the top. They are wonderful.. I put them through hell and back and they are still holding up a year later. Slightly faded from me leaving them out by the ring, but aside fromt that, they still feel great!I bought them from Smartpak for $15!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

I used to go through a pair of the Ovation or SSG crochet backed ones every season - the leather splits or wears through between my ring and little finger. However, not entirely sure I can blame it on the gloves, as one of my horses pulls like a freight train regardless of bit/half-halt/training/vet/etc. I've had better luck with deerskin gloves designed for foxhunting - they are a bit more expensive but seem to hold up a bit longer (e.g., I might get a full year out of a pair).

I have had the same luck with SSGs, love them, but the fingers won't last.

I have good news for you though -- last year I picked up a pair of breathable back gloves made by Moxie. They are AWESOME. I am hard on my horse gear and it has to work every day and they are holding up beautifully. I've only got about a year out of them so far, but they are still in great shape and I've got high hopes. They're not terribly expensive and look nice enough to show in.

I have had good luck with Roeckl.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I've had super luck with these ariats: http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctclassid=2381
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I swear by Neumann's tackified gloves.
    Having said that, I had a pair of Heritage gloves--the ones with little gold horseshoes on them--for several years that I rode in at home.
    I have had NO luck with SSG gloves.

I'd guess some of it was fit too. I rode hard all year in my SSG Lycrochet Ultraflex gloves and they have signs of wear, but no holes. I did buy a new pair this year, and am keeping those as a backup pair. I find them for about $17, so they are not terrible expensive, so I don't have a problem replacing them yearly. For the price, how long would they be expected to last? Now yes, if I was spending $50...

I've had my pair of Rockl's for...ever! I use them every time I ride and it's been at least 1.5 years since I bought them. At our barn, we wear them until they have holes in them!
    "Red on the right, white on the left, insanity in the middle."

I have a pair of SSG all weather gloves that are 4 or 5 years old, another that is 3 and a third that is just for shows that is also 4 or 5 years old. The 2 schooling pair rotate through the laundry, so I always have a clean pair.

IMO they wear like iron. I have worn out several pair of deerskin "work" gloves and these SSG are still going!!!

I think it really must be to do with fit, because I have a pair of SSG All Weathers that lasted something like five years of REGULAR wear (minus New England winters, when I had to wear something thicker). They fit me perfectly (well, they are a bit stretched now and I just use them for lunging - got a new pair last fall), though - and I never put them on till after I've tightened the girth. I noticed that I always caught a little piece of the gloves in the buckle, and figured it couldn't be a good recipe for longevity.
    Proud member of the EDRF

I love the SSG Technicals! They look at little crazy, but they are black, with aquasueded palms and coolmax on the back. Stretchy, comfy and great grip wet or dry!

I rode 4-6 horses a day in these as a WS and didn't even think about getting a second pair until I was 4 months in...and those ones got handed down to another WS, who is still riding in them 6 months later! Pretty hardy and they only cost about $20!

Love LOVE!

it depends on what KIND of SSG's you are using.
    the all weathers (the ones that come in all the cool colors) I get 3 months out of before they tear.
    What you need are SSG Digital gloves. http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...2&cm_vc=Search
    I could let me dog chew on them, and drive over them with a set of all terrain tires and they'd still be in one piece!
    I want them to come in colors, and white. Then I'll be set for life.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Lots of good suggestions. I just wish I had a real tack shop to try them all on, I'd have to drive over an hour to get any semblance of an actual tack store(most are geared towards H/J too)... Maybe I'll check out TSC, though they carry mostly western wear.

I think my main issue IS fit. I have defied my italian heritage and have really long, narrow fingers. I can line my palm up with most men and the length is the same (palm to fingertip), but my palm length is "shorter," since gloves are measured by the width of your palm voila! the fit issue.

I shoulda stuck with piano lessons...

I feel you, Helio -- I have long narrow fingers too, often spells finger death for gloves. Oh so many of them I have thrown away....

Quote Originally Posted by echodecker View Post
    I love the SSG Technicals! They look at little crazy, but they are black, with aquasueded palms and coolmax on the back. Stretchy, comfy and great grip wet or dry!

I rode 4-6 horses a day in these as a WS and didn't even think about getting a second pair until I was 4 months in...and those ones got handed down to another WS, who is still riding in them 6 months later! Pretty hardy and they only cost about $20!

Love LOVE!
    These are my favorites, too. Mine are a year and a half old and are holding better than any of the leather palmed ones I had tried. Plus they grip a heck of a lot better.

Thumbs up

Neuman's seem to last forever. And being washable, stay looking presentable.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.