The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Homeopathic favorites?

I have an interest in homeopathic and aromatherapy treatment for horses...not as a complete alternative to Western medicine, but an option to use when it's warranted.

If you use natural remedies, what's your favorite and for what ailment?

Arnica (both pellets and gel/cream) for bruises, soreness, strains, trauma is really helpful and reduces discomfort immediately. I use it on people and animals both.

Traumeel for any sort of trauma. Seemed to help my horse's knee heal after he did a rotational fall out of the arena window (Arab + grain bag = bad idea). Also had Bachs Flower Essences help with a nervous mare.

Diet Dr. Pepper (contains as many molecules of arnica, nux vomica, or any other homeopathic substance as a de facto homeopathic remedy, AND caffeine!)
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Diet Dr. Pepper (contains as many molecules of arnica, nux vomica, or any other homeopathic substance as a de facto homeopathic remedy, AND caffeine!)
    Really??? Are you just pulling our legs? Seriously????

Wow...Diet Dr. Pepper....

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I love me some deltawave.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I love me some deltawave.
    Agreed! I seriously DID LOL at that!

Who knew that I was actually healing my torn ACL when I spilled my drink in my lap?!

Arnica or Traumeel for strains, pulls, bruises and overexertion.

Silica for splinters and other embedded foreign things! Abcesses too. (had a yearling with an embedded wood splinter in his neck, over his jugular....I was NOT trusting our local vet to cut it out....I used Silica and on day #2 it was hot and swollen and I just touched the area and the splinter SHOT out!)

Hypericum Perforatum to help with nerve regrowth and rehab...used successfully on the healing of damaged facial nerves on a retiree gelding. Not sure how he did it, but damaged his trigeminal nerves and the left side of his face from mid-cheek down was limp one day! No improvement for weeks, started the hp and within a couple days I noted small twitches and in less than two weeks he was able to hold food in his mouth again. The old guy has made a 98% recovery since then.
    Horses don't lie.

As a clean athlete our daughter uses Traumeel - but it does not do much.

Rescue Remedy (Bach flowers) worked for me when I had a dog bite and became nauseous, could not eat and shakey. We were just sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner. Instant relief, so I believe in it. A lot of people are naysayers tho.

I use bach flowers for myself on show days where my head is running a mile a minute, and I use it when training previously abused/neglected horses. AMAZING STUFF!

lemongrass oil is great to add for soft tissue injuries. I throw a little in with DMSO and suspensory injury begone! Used it on my really bad sprain that was so painful I went into shock. Seriously, it helps and it smells amazing.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

This is great! Thank u for all of your replies! My horse gets a little of Bach's Rescue Remedy in one of his water buckets...and I think he prefers it to his regular water cause it's always the first one empty. I do think it helped ease him into the new barn.

His former trainer liked to use lavender oil on inflamed muscles. I saw a swollen stifle go down in size greatly from it. Or, it could have just been the daily massage of the area. In any case, it smelled great

Dr.Pepper...hmmm. I know for a fact that it works like coffee for me, as far as getting regular, if you know as what I mean. Ha. Must be the prunes in it -- no joke.

Prunes? Ewww. TMI. I don't really want to know what the 23 flavors are, or whatever they say about it.

Remember there is a vast and gigantic difference between a homeopathic remedy and an herbal one!
    Click here before you buy.