The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunting Icon, Ben Hardaway of Midland, is having hip replacement surgery tomorrow.

Ben Hardaway, the famous huntsman and founder of the Midland Hounds in Columbus,GA is having hip replacement surgery Wednesday at the Houghston Clinic inColumbus. The fantastic orthopedic hospital was founded by the late Dr. Jack Houghston, Ben's brother-in law, and a co-founder of the original Midland Hounds.

Ben attended the Southern Hound Show at Live Oak Hounds this past Saturday. He judged the Hat Contest and visited with many old, admiring and special friends. He spent the weekend with us and ended it with a breakfast with friends and the Wood's --including a bottle of fine champaigne!

Sadly,he had a fall upon returning home.He's been in the hospital readying for this very hard surgery.......but in the best of spirits, as we would expect.
    At 93 this will be a very hard surgery on him........please keep him and his family in your prayers tomorrow!!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Sending my best wishes to Mr. Hardaway. I'm hoping for an uneventful surgery and a quick return to ambulatory status.

Always love seeing him at the hound shows.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

I hunted with Mr. Ben in the 70's when I was brave and young. Always had a ball with the Midland folks. Glad to hear he is still making appearances and prayers for an uneventful and complete recovery.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Default Good for him

One of our Master's with Bridlespur had a hip replaced Jan 3. She recovered well enough to make the last two or three hunts of our season. She is so happy she wishes she had done it sooner. Technology has come a long way on hip replacements.

I hope that Ben's operation is just as successful and he is back in the saddle soon. He is certainly one of the Icons of our sport.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Just heard from the family. He came through the operation (at 9 pm last night) very well......is already up and coming off the pain meds.He's coherent and as positive as you could ever imagine. He's one remarkable man....
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Glad to read the good news, hoping for a continued good recovery! He is indeed an amazing man.

Update: He's doing great with his physical therapy and today walked from the nurses station to his room, which is a hike. Hopefully will be going home next week.