The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Concerns for feeding a RB *once* a day?

To start off, I know that feeding a horse only one or two meals a day is not ideal for how their stomach and intestines digest.

That being said... would you be overly concerned with feeding your horse its full recommended dosage of a ration balancer (and flax, likely) all in one shot?

Horse in question is a 3-y-o WB who currently gets her RB split in two (AM & PM). Probably towards the end of May/beginning of June, she's going to go from being in a stall at night to being out 24/7, which I very much like. However, I would like to keep her on a RB to ensure she's still having her nutrients met. The barn brings all of their horses in once a day to grain them.

I know it's not a huge amount of feed, physically, but it's jam packed with nutrients. Just looking for opinions on the matter.

TIA

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

The concern with one meal a day is related to too much volume at one feeding and/or long periods on an empty stomach. A horse on 24/7 pasture and a ration balancer 1zday most likely doesn't have any of those concerns so I wouldn't worry unless you are feeding over 7-8lbs of ration balancer... but I'm pretty sure you are not (if you are, that's another topic )
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I agree with DMK, shouldnt be a problem if the horse is on grass or has hay available throughout the day, and is not getting an excessive amount of ration balancer in that 1 feeding (which obviously is unlikely with that kind of feed...)

I give 1 lb of RB in one feeding when horse is at grass, never had problems.

LOL, yeah, what DMK said

You could even feed a 5lb meal once a day and be fine.

Thanks for the reassurance. I figured I was just being a paranoid horse mom.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance. I figured I was just being a paranoid horse mom.
    Better to be paranoid than careless. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway .

I agree, better to be paranoid than cause problems, but always good to ask just in case the paranoia is unwarranted and causes extra work LOL

Our two fatty fats are on RB with their flax, magnesium, etc in the am. They do get hay 2-3 times a day when needed but no issue with the RB. 1.5 lbs of RB, so not much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I agree, better to be paranoid than cause problems, but always good to ask just in case the paranoia is unwarranted and causes extra work LOL
    With my own animals, I usually add some extra irrational paranoia just in case.

LOL, me too Gato, me too!

Most of mine get their RB once a day, it's such a small amount of concentrate I don't see the point of splitting it up. If they get more than a couple of pounds of "grain" I split, otherwise not.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by GatoGordo View Post
    With my own animals, I usually add some extra irrational paranoia just in case.
    Do you grind that or just feed it whole? Soaked or dry?
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    whatever is the most wrong to the most people

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    I make sure mine has the appropriate amount of soy and omega 9's, and I like to make sure I am wearing a shoe on my left foot, but barefoot on my right when I dish out my irrational paranoia. Then for good measure, I ask everyone if I am doing the right thing and get REALLY pissed when they have an opinion.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.