The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Virginia peeps -- trailer license plate question

I attempted to call the Virginia DMV, but the hold time was 30 minutes and I didn't feel like giving them half an hour of my life.

I just bought a new [used] trailer was titled in Maryland. My current trailer has permanent plates and is the same weight as my new one. According to the DMV, permanent trailer plates aren't transferrable -- does this mean I have to shell out another $75 for another permanent plate?! Normally I'd say, "Screw it," and just move the plate to my new trailer, but I do need to re-title this trailer in VA, and I'm guessing they might get suspicious...

Thanks!
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Quote Originally Posted by FrittSkritt View Post
    I attempted to call the Virginia DMV, but the hold time was 30 minutes and I didn't feel like giving them half an hour of my life.

I just bought a new [used] trailer was titled in Maryland. My current trailer has permanent plates and is the same weight as my new one. According to the DMV, permanent trailer plates aren't transferrable -- does this mean I have to shell out another $75 for another permanent plate?! Normally I'd say, "Screw it," and just move the plate to my new trailer, but I do need to re-title this trailer in VA, and I'm guessing they might get suspicious...

Thanks!
    Yep! You need to pay for a new plate.
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

*Bangs head against wall.*

Dear lord, Virginia sucks %*& sometimes. (Oh yeah, same DMV that screwed up the new registration for my Suburban and I ended up having to pay another $40 on top of all their other fees.) Looking into Maine and Montana trailer registration as we speak...
    -my life-
    Translation

Maine seems to be a good option from what I have been reading on line...let us know what you find out, please

The only heads up I'll give on the Maine thing is that if a VA cop continuously see's the trailer parked in VA you can be ticketed for failing to register in VA. If that happens then you have paid Maine, a ticket and the Virginia DMV anyway.

Since we pay personal property tax in VA, they take that kind of seriously. They care less about the registration than they do about the 3 or 4 % sales tax they get to collect.

Ditto what HunttoLive says. It's going to be a personal property tax issue as well if you ever are caught. Just pay the $75 for the new tag.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Yep, new tag...it sucks. Get a nice vanity one since it'll be permanent.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Fritt, depending on how long ago you bought your current "permanent" tags, you may get a partial refund against the old plates. They may have changed the law since I last checked.

Ditto on the vanity if you are so inclined, I won't shell out $10/year for them but on the permanent tag it's a one time fee.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Quote Originally Posted by HunttoLive View Post
    The only heads up I'll give on the Maine thing is that if a VA cop continuously see's the trailer parked in VA you can be ticketed for failing to register in VA. If that happens then you have paid Maine, a ticket and the Virginia DMV anyway.

Since we pay personal property tax in VA, they take that kind of seriously. They care less about the registration than they do about the 3 or 4 % sales tax they get to collect.
    The trailer is actually parked VERY far in back of the property and definitely not visible from the road! But yes, Arlington County did the same thing when I first moved here from CT -- barely a month later and they ticked me for not registering it in Arlington County so they could get their personal property tax.

The current tags I have are 4 years old, so I doubt I'll get any refund on them.

Thinking if I get a vanity plate, it should read "DMVSUX."
    -my life-
    Translation

Or why not pay the ONE TIME registration fee and obey the LAW?? Seriously. I have to renew mine once a year, costs about $30 or so.

Sheesh.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Personally, I consider $75 for a PERMANENT plate a pretty good deal.
    Last edited by Janet; Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I also think the VA Permanent plate deal is a wonderful one. Thank you Virginia!

and yes, I purchased one for my new trailer too, after also getting one for my old trailer 5? few years ago. $75/5 =15 WOOT!

You can do darn near everything online with the VA DMV' very easy to navigate and pay online too.

Re VA vanity tags. I now have 3 sets of plates that say KRYSWYN. 2 of them are the regular blue & white; one is the original plates 'mountain to shore'. They expired once and the DMV insisted I buy new plates. Rather than pay for new Mountain to Shore I got the blue & white ones and threw them in the tack room when they arrived. The KRYSWYN plates have never left my van, even when I've had to accept number tags while waiting for 'new' personalized plates to come in the mail I have a problem with bureaucracy
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Or why not pay the ONE TIME registration fee and obey the LAW?? Seriously. I have to renew mine once a year, costs about $30 or so.

Sheesh.
    Sucks for you, then!

Yes, I find it annoying that I could transfer plates from car to car, but I can't do so for a trailer that has to be re-inspected every year anyway, so I'm still paying a yearly fee. I'd rather pay a transfer fee to transfer the plates that I've already bought for the old trailer.
    Last edited by FrittSkritt; Apr. 18, 2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: clarification
    -my life-
    Translation

Fritt, those pesky fees help pay for the roads we drive on.

A good friend of ours lives in DC but boards out near Manassas Battlefield. She stores her trailer at the barn. Once a year, she goes out there, hooks up, drives back to DC to the inspection station, then drives back to the barn to park her trailer again. Is it a PITA? Yes. However, she has the trailer registered in DC where she resides.

I got permanent tags when I bought our first trailer. When I sold it and bought the gooseneck, I turned in my old plates and was happy to be able to get permanent tags for the new one. I'd far rather do that than to have to mess with it annually.

Here's something to get your undies wadded over. Hauling a trailer north on I95 through Maryland and the toll exchange at Harv De Grace, be sure to stay out of the EZpass only lanes. If you go through those, you'll have your pass charged as a semi. Go through the manned toll booth and you pay the proper rate for your truck and trailer. There's a sneaky fee that you CAN avoid.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Quote Originally Posted by Everythingbutwings View Post

Here's something to get your undies wadded over. Hauling a trailer north on I95 through Maryland and the toll exchange at Harv De Grace, be sure to stay out of the EZpass only lanes. If you go through those, you'll have your pass charged as a semi. Go through the manned toll booth and you pay the proper rate for your truck and trailer. There's a sneaky fee that you CAN avoid.
    $24 for my truck and two horse trailer but only $8 for my husbands nine horse van. They charge by the number of axels.