The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Equestrian Communities: Any Recommendations?

My husband and I would like to retire (in the next 10 years) to an equestrian community, any suggestions? I've been to Aiken once and it's on my list of possibilites. My only concern about it is that it's a bit geographically off the beaten path and is humid in the summers. Any ideas of great equestrian communities to investigate? I ride show hunters and my husband enjoys trail rding with me.

Tryon NC / Landrum SC both areas are horse freindly
    www.tryonhorsefarms.com
    www.wwerealty.com
    www.sheelahclarkson.com
    will give you a flavor for the area

Risa
    happytrailstrailers

1 members found this post helpful.

For western competitive riders, showing, cutting, reining, penning, roping, etc., the Dallas-OKC corridor is their Mecca, the best trainers in the nation have barns there.

There are some equestrian communities around Dallas catering to all people that want to participate in that lifestyle, not only seniors.

For English riders, the O'Connors are building one in Florida, I heard.

I have a strong, almost visceral reaction against "planned communities." That will color many of my views.

The biggest problem is that with a "planned community" you tie yourself to a plan that you can't control. Control is vested in an "owners' association." These can be well run or they can be examples of the worst aspects of the USSR. Or Serbia under Slobodan Mlosovic (a/k/a Milosovan Sonofabitch).

We just spent a week at a Marchador clinic. It was held at a developing "planned equestrian and golf" community north of Dallas. It was a very nice place. It has some very nice facilities, but they were planned for polo (the passion of the prior owner). They have some serious limitations for either a Western or English themed facility. I'm also informed that even though the lot size was going to be 5-15 acres you were not permitted to keep your horse at your home, it had to be boarded in the central barn. (I've not personally researched this so I'm not sure it's true in the case of this place.) It does have some lovely, if somewhat boring, trails.

Since I'm not fond of the concept of my neighbors telling me what I may or may not plant or what color my house has to be I don't think I'd be much interested in a "planned community," equestrian or any other kind.

Folks looking at retirement should carefully consider their real goals. Having a place to keep horses at home is great but that ties the people to the land. It means that travel away from home will be difficult and the costs of "horse sitting" will be an added expense. This does not mean "don't do it" but it does mean "think about it carefully."

G.

I have a strong, almost visceral reaction against "planned communities." That will color many of my views.
    Ditto this. The idea is pretty completely awful to me and is antithetical to the reasons that I would want a farm.

I would be extra wary if it in any way involved a "community barn," which could potentially leave you stuck in a lousy barn situation (how many people on COTH post barn manager horror stories) with no ability to escape, since you've bought into it and paid for it.

I would consider horsey areas before I would ever consider a planned community. There are plenty of areas that have all the amenities - i.e., great trails, great trainers, great farriers and vets - without being tied to the standards of a HOA.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    For western competitive riders, showing, cutting, reining, penning, roping, etc., the Dallas-OKC corridor is their Mecca, the best trainers in the nation have barns there.

There are some equestrian communities around Dallas catering to all people that want to participate in that lifestyle, not only seniors.

For English riders, the O'Connors are building one in Florida, I heard.
    If the O'Connors are still working with Equestrian Services, LLC, I would GALLOP the other direction.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Quote Originally Posted by InWhyCee Redux View Post
    If the O'Connors are still working with Equestrian Services, LLC, I would GALLOP the other direction.

do you mean this?

http://www.eqsv.com/news-room/press-031208.cfm

I think they are still involved, but I am not sure.

direct link sorry, http://www.theoakslakecity.com/

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

They are still involved but I don't think that particular venture is really going anywhere. The people behind it are bending over backwards to get people to sign on the dotted line with all sorts of incentives and discounts and they still aren't getting much interest.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    do you mean this?

Yes. Don't know if they're actively working with the O'Connors at this time. As for my experience with ESQV, they did a "heck of a job" at the Bergen Equestrian Center in NJ, managing to anger/offend/drive off a majority of the clientele before the place was closed indefinitely for renovation. I would be extremely wary of any one-barn community.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

I might have missed the post that indicated to what part of the country you'd like to move...

We have two nice communities just outside Louisville, Kentucky.

Equestrian Lakes
    http://equestrianlakes.com/

Majestic Oaks - for this, do a property search for Simpsonville with this as the subdivision.

These have communal spaces, but most people keep their horses on their own piece of property.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    do you mean this?

Being from N. FL, I would say they're having trouble filling the place up because Lake City is in the middle of nowhere, even by northern FL standards.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I would be more interested in a place like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norco,_California
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We had one in Birmingham until the central barn 'mysteriously' burned to the ground. And was never replaced LOL. No horses were killed or hurt: There weren't any

For trail riding there are 'communities' near Big South Fork, TN.

I'm with G and others: the idea makes me itchy: too many rules, covenants, and God forbid the barn manager takes a likin' to Parelli or, let's say, the Circus.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Come spend a week exploring Ocala, Florida I bet you would find a place here that would suit your needs.

http://www.ocalamarion.com/horse-cap...-the-world.asp
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I lov e the Tryon area. Went to my cousin's hunt week last year and it was a lovely place with 45 miles of dedicated trails (you can join the trail associations) and they have the best tack store ever. Just a really nice place with nice folks.

Default Misundrestanding; Did I Say Planned Community?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. What I intended by "equestrian community" wasn't necessarily a planned community, but a horsey community that may or may not be a planned community. For instance, I would consider Aiken an equestrian community (or horsey area) with a number of planned equestrian developments, such as Three Runs Plantation.

My husband and I currently live in an equestrian oriented development. The lots are a minimum 2 acres up to 12 acres but there are no common equestrian ammenities over than a dedicated equestrian trail that all the lots have access to. I don't find the minimal restrictions overbearing at all. Keeping horses at home does tie you down to the property. We would like an area with more dedicated trails for hacking out and possibly a shared community arena. We currently have our own arena, but with that comes upkeep (I drug the arena today and consequently didn't ride). Also, having other "horsey" people around as neighbors is a benefit. We currently live in Texas but are giving some thought to moving another state. I hate cold weather (anything below 45 degrees), so a mild climate is essential.

There are quite a few near Sacramento and right now is a killer time to buy. My dream is a community called Greenstone Country http://www.buyhorseproperties.com/greenstone/

There is a community arena, and a huge trail system. Plus, its not cookie cutter homes on acreage. Most people bought the land, then had a custom home built. Weather here does not get super cold, you will probably get a few days in the winter that get below 40 but that's it. Summers are hot, but everything is air conditioned.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

There are a lot of equestrian communities here in Marion County, Florida, not too many with a shared arena however.

I live in one of the smaller communities, there are only 22 lots, each lot is 10 acres. We all have our own barns, one neighbor does have a covered arena, but it is not shared. We can ride in the neighborhood.

Plenty of trails close by that you can trailer in to also.

When you say no colder than 45 is that daytime or nighttime temps?
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams