The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question can anyone ID these gates

Does anyone know where I can get those screen-type gates? I can't copy the direct link, but if you go to this website, and scroll through the photos throughout the farm, you'll see what I mean. I would like the screen-style gates as opposed to round pen panels. Thanks!

http://www.farmandequine.com/barns-sheds.shtml#

I don't know but good God those pictures are are awesome!

Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I don't know but good God those pictures are are awesome!
    I know, right? I am hoping that if I buy those gates, my property will magically turn into that!

We built some of those expanded metal gates about 25 years ago and in our windy country they were not a good idea.
    The wind would hit them hard and they were a liability to handle when we had higher winds, they would knock you and your horse over.
    I like much, much better the square metal they use on some of their upper stall parts.

In that first link, their grills have their vertical bars too far apart, they need to be closer to be safe for horses.
    A horse could hit it playing with another and get a hoof thru easily.

The square mesh I think is very horse safe, as long as you are sure the ends are properly covered and won't come out if bent.

Some of those are beautiful barns, are they.

I know that Pro Fence in Shippensburg PA carries the screen gates. Friends of mine just had some livestock fencing installed to contain their german short hair pointers. I absolutely squealed with glee when I visited and saw they had the screen gates! I am so jealous! Pro Fence installed their fencing.
    Cindy

http://www.freybrothersinc.com/egates.php

You can also get a Lancaster Farmer paper and there is lots of gate/fence/stall manufacturers advertised in it!

Yup Frey Brothers and also Esches Fence in Gap PA....

tractor supply has mesh bottom gates as well...we were thinking of getting some for our house since my jack russell can fit through the slats in our current gates...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing...12-ft--3611004

from the picture though, it looks like the space at the top is big enough to get a leg through, if you have a playful type of horse....

We have Esch gates, some are completely expanded metal and the others have 2 tubes on the top half and expanded metal on the bottom.

I like the latter design best. The gates that are totally expanded metal are not very sturdy, if a horse leans or runs into them they will bend, and I even think they will bend if they are let slam against the fence day after day. They also seem to be less visible than tubes.

The combo tube/expanded metal has the advantage of keeping the horse from putting their hooves in between the bottom tubes but has additional structural stability and visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiffon View Post
    We have Esch gates, some are completely expanded metal and the others have 2 tubes on the top half and expanded metal on the bottom.

I like the latter design best. The gates that are totally expanded metal are not very sturdy, if a horse leans or runs into them they will bend, and I even think they will bend if they are let slam against the fence day after day. They also seem to be less visible than tubes.

The combo tube/expanded metal has the advantage of keeping the horse from putting their hooves in between the bottom tubes but has additional structural stability and visibility.
    Can't seem to find a website... This is what I am trying to avoid-sticking legs through.

Tractor Supply carries something similar (it's not expanded metal, it's mesh filled, if that's important to you): http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing...12-ft--3611004

Quote Originally Posted by bdj View Post
    Tractor Supply carries something similar (it's not expanded metal, it's mesh filled, if that's important to you): http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing...12-ft--3611004
    This is better than expanded metal, for gates, should be cheaper and is what some high end places have, like the O'Connors equestrian community does, if you look at their field gates.

And the wind won't make kites ouf of those gates, as it does expanded metal.

I have similar ones that I bought from Southern States; about 30% of the cost of others.