The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To give the lutaleyse or not to give it..?

So, I had another thread going about this but I think its time for a new one. My 18 y/o maiden TB mare was still transitional a week and a half ago. Vet decided to short cycle her and I am supposed to shoot her up with the ltaleyse (sp??) Tomorrow morning. But. Isn't there always a but? She said it would only bring her back into heat IF she had ovulated at least 5 days before the shot. Mare was still showing heat signs on thursday morning. So I am wondering if I should skip the shot and let her come in on her own or go ahead and give her the drugs?

And if she is transitional, and she showed heat but didn't ovulate at all, there will be no CL and the lutalyse won't work anyway. My 17 y.o. mare, who I am planning to breed, was checked yesterday because she looked to be coming into heat. Not only was she not in heat, there was no evidence of a CL. So, we wait...
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    So, I had another thread going about this but I think its time for a new one. My 18 y/o maiden TB mare was still transitional a week and a half ago. Vet decided to short cycle her and I am supposed to shoot her up with the ltaleyse (sp??) Tomorrow morning. But. Isn't there always a but? She said it would only bring her back into heat IF she had ovulated at least 5 days before the shot. Mare was still showing heat signs on thursday morning. So I am wondering if I should skip the shot and let her come in on her own or go ahead and give her the drugs?
    Clint is spot on. If the mare is transitional and hasn't ovulated, it's useless. Lutalyse is the brand name for prostaglandin. Additionally, if you or your vet are not aware, you can give a micro dose of prostaglandin two days in a row (typically 1/10th of the traditional dosage) and get the same results without the nasty side effects (sweating, cramping, etc.). FWIW, we currently have 4 of our own mares here. It was 90 degrees yesterday, but they're still hanging on to the last remnants of their winter coats and only one has ovulated this season :O!!! She's cycling like clockwork. The other three, I keep checking and putting back out. Frustrating as I want to do ET's on 2 of them <sigh>...Grrr!!!

We recommend that unless your mares have been under lights, as a rule of thumb, when they are completely shed out, they are probably cycling regularly.

Hope that helps!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Definitely do the microdose. It's so much easier on the mares.

Also, I wanted to add that, while I will use lute if indicated for the first breeding of the year, I won't use it on subsequent breedings. I've found that if the vet misses a pregnancy and decides to "speed things up" by short cycling you can lose a pregnancy pretty quick! Just my personal preference not to use it on second and third tries; others' experience may differ.

Kendra
    Kendra -- Runningwater Warmbloods
    SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant), and Donatella M (Furstenball/ Jazz Time)
    'Like' us on Facebook