The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The Garden Is Planned ~ Now How About Canning?

I have my garden all planned, got the soil prepared (decided on steer manure compost) and got the seeds started.

I am putting in a very large garden this year and would like to can and freeze some of my yield.

What is the best produce to can? What is the best produce to freeze?

Any ideas would be appreciated

ETA ~ I have never canned before so my MIL is going to show me how to do it correctly so I don't kill anyone
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Tomatoes.....can or dry
    Beans....can or blanche and freeze
    Squash/pumpkin....can
    Strawberries, berries....freeze
    Peaches, apricots, cherries...can (you can find some awesome recipes for things like pickled fruits) or freeze (can also be dried)
    Corn...I prefer blanched and frozen but you can can
    Spinach...blanche/freeze
    Asparagus.....can

What else are you growing?
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I've never canned before either and I bought the book "Canning for Dummies." It seems nicely laid out. I got mine off of Amazon.

I have blanched and frozen veggies before. We also want to explore drying especially as backpacking rations.

I bought a book yesterday about canning from the Ball company (the ones that make the jars).

I am also interested in drying the herbs that I am growing to use in the winter.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

I am going to can the crap out of some green beans! We didn't get any last year due to a very late start and I was really bummed! I *love* me some canned green beans and its not hard to do once you have done it once. We also can tomatoes, potatoes, and I tried to make dill pickles last year too but they were gross. I am excited to plant either tonight or tomorrow. Ill be planting green beans, peas, sugar snap peas, carrots and maybe broccoli for now.

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    Tomatoes.....can or dry
    Beans....can or blanche and freeze
    Squash/pumpkin....can
    Strawberries, berries....freeze
    Peaches, apricots, cherries...can (you can find some awesome recipes for things like pickled fruits) or freeze (can also be dried)
    Corn...I prefer blanched and frozen but you can can
    Spinach...blanche/freeze
    Asparagus.....can

What else are you growing?
    Tomatoes
    Potatoes
    Yellow & Red Onions
    Peppers
    Lettuce
    Beans
    Peas
    Eggplant
    Squash
    Zucchini
    Cucumbers
    Maybe corn
    Broccolli
    Garlic
    Spinach

Dill
    Oregano
    Rosemary
    Thyme
    Parsley flat & Italian
    Basil
    Chives

Blueberries
    Grapes
    Apples (for the horses)
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    We also want to explore drying especially as backpacking rations.
    I'm doing this right now with store-bought frozen veg-- have peas in the dehydrator at the moment, then carrots will go in. Evidently corn, peas, carrots, and dried, cooked, then redried beans rehydrate well. Limas and green beans don't. Broccoli is kind of iffy. BF is on the AT for the summer-- guess who gets to send him frequent food drops?

tomatoes, especially cherry tomatoes are also good frozen then chucked into sauce.

herb drying is pretty easy: tie into small bunches and hang in an airy location, putting a paper bag over it keeps the dust off, like a small sandwich bag...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    tomatoes, especially cherry tomatoes are also good frozen then chucked into sauce.

herb drying is pretty easy: tie into small bunches and hang in an airy location, putting a paper bag over it keeps the dust off, like a small sandwich bag...
    I tried to keep the perennial herbs over the winter but they died. Can I use the herbs fresh all summer and then dry what is left of them in the fall or do I need to dry them at the peak of summer?

I am thinking of canning the tomatoes with the herbs together for a marinara sauce.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

Grew up on a farm with a 5 acre garden. We froze EVERYTHING then opened it up to the community.

I can shuck corn and shell peas faster than anyone!! Thank God I don't have to any longer!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I have a tiny garden, but I get enough to do some ice pickles and green tomatoes and onions. This year I may add red sauce but I hate regular maters (sun dried, cooked or sundried is fine, raw and red is untouchable... so I was really happy when the only maters I got out of my garden were end of season green maters). I also blanch and freeze zucchini and yellow squash when I am sick of eating it.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Dry the herbs at their peak, before flowering. If you keep most herbs trimmed they won't flower. As you trim them, use what you need, dry the rest. At the end of the summer you should have a nice bunch put up. Let some of the dill go to seed and collect the seed for the following year or let it self-seed.

Invite a few friends who also garden and have a canning party. Makes it more fun. 'Cause peeling tomatoes in the heat of summer next to boiling pots of water just the ticket.

ET
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

Oh and canned green beans with dill and garlic are to die for!
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

There is a great book called "Putting Food By" that is all about canning and preserving food. The author (I think) is Janet Greene. My neighbor let me borrow it and I plan to buy my own copy. Its a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad Said Not To View Post
    I'm doing this right now with store-bought frozen veg-- have peas in the dehydrator at the moment, then carrots will go in. Evidently corn, peas, carrots, and dried, cooked, then redried beans rehydrate well. Limas and green beans don't. Broccoli is kind of iffy. BF is on the AT for the summer-- guess who gets to send him frequent food drops?
    Your BF is lucky! Is he thru hiking?

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I have a great, easy refigerator pickle recipe I will send if you want. They keep at least 6 months, so they make great holiday gifts. I freeze tomatoes as well as can them. If you have a zucchinni bread recipe you like, you can grate and freeze the quantity needed for teh recipe in small bags. I always freeze my corn. I put up 32 qts last year. You can string and dry jalapenos. For onions, save old panty hose and drop an onion in teh toe, tie a knot and repeat all the way up both legs, then hang in a cool dry place.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Your BF is lucky! Is he thru hiking?
    Yes, he is. I dropped him off at Springer a month ago today, and he should be in Bakersville, NC tomorrow-- I should be meeting him at Katahdin in about 4-5 months. He wanted me to go with him-- I managed to convince him that that wouldn't be good for the relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad Said Not To View Post
    Yes, he is. I dropped him off at Springer a month ago today, and he should be in Bakersville, NC tomorrow-- I should be meeting him at Katahdin in about 4-5 months. He wanted me to go with him-- I managed to convince him that that wouldn't be good for the relationship.
    I'd give my left arm to thru hike! Just who would take care of my farm and critters for 5 months...UGH...not anytime soon for me.

I wish him luck. Does he have a trailjournal? What is is trail name? I hang out on Whiteblaze and often folks mention who they see and where they are.

If you like Tex Mex try 1 or 2 tomatillo plants cilantro and a wide variety of peppers.

However with gardening it is very easy to start all gung ho and get overwhelmed,

One of my favorite resources
    http://www.gardensalive.com/default.asp?sid=100842
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I don't particularly enjoy the stress of canning. I do like freezing though. Here is a list of what I put up:

Sweet Pickles
    Dill Pickles
    Canned Tomatoes (every other year)
    Frozen Tomato Sauce
    Green Beans (blanch 3 min and freeze)
    Peas (blanch 3 min and freeze)
    Carrots (blanch 3 min and freeze)
    Sweet Corn (I cook 6 ears, eat half, freeze half)

Things I don't bother with anymore:
    Summer Squash ~ Frozen=yuck
    Brocolli ~ I just don't use it
    Anything that involves the pressure cooker

The blueberries I would freeze. The apples I would dry.

Our neighbors can a nice pepper and onion in tomato sauce mixture that I blend and use in my sauce sometimes.