The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit of Britain

So I was in the store the other day, and approached someone working at the counter with a question ( I was polite, and even began my sentence with a "sorry to bother you, may I ask a quick question) . Her response was SO snarky that I actually stood there, speechless for a second.

I have been shopping there FOREVER, plus obviously John's trailer over the years, and, just wow.

I was so shocked I almost put my stuff down (totalling $400+) dollars) and walked out.

After all these years, I was just so stunned to be treated this way, and in fact overheard another customer make a remark about how rude this person was. This person was NOT a kid, either. Sorry, just had to vent.

Doesn't mean I won't shop there again, only that if I see that person working the counter, I will come another time - life is to short to be that unpleasant, or to take it!

If it was me, I would have told them off as to how rude they were being. You, and no one else for that matter, should put up with that. Always better to say it to their face than complain about it here!

Don't "come back another time" if you see them working... those personalities feed on your distaste of them. Just stick it to them and ask another employee to check you out.

Or tell the manager they're being snarky and rude and that's less than what you'd expect from BoB.
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

You're right, I was just so shocked, maybe because it was BoB. I understand that a person who works at a tack store might assume they know more than the person asking the question, but really.

And my question was not about an item, but about their policy for returns.

Yeah, I would be too... it makes me laugh when people at our tack stores act like they know more about specific tack... half of them (or more) don't even event, and have no idea how anything would be of use for me...

why be snarky in explaining a return policy?? that's just... retarded. it's those few people who are mostly rude that make me feel like the world has no manners anymore...
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

Oh, I know, it makes you wonder how many people are just so turned off by that attitude.

That's crazy! I've had some rough experiences with them, too. I got my vest fitted by John at Rolex and it took them 2 months (after many emails and phone calls) to send it to me. It wasn't even customized!

If I were you, I'd probably shoot them an email and tell them how one snarky remark almost lost them $400. That will grab their attention!
    "Red on the right, white on the left, insanity in the middle."

I am sure John would like to know that.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I had one experience with one person being less than charitable (it was not a big deal, but they were a bit rude about it) and John made a huge deal of apologizing to me about it when he heard (from other sources, not me). BoB really cares about customer service and if someone in the shop is not treating customers, I'm sure that John would both like to know and will one way or another make it right.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

As the owner of Bit of Britain I want it first apologize for the way in which you were treated. If you know me or my business you would know that this is not the quality of service that we strive. I want you to be assured that it will not be tolerated. I have worked 20 years to build my business and I have always understood the need to have great customer service. I will get to the bottom of this and again I apologize on behalf my company.

Thank you so much! And it's because this has been my experience with John and the store for the last 20+ years (since it was a little store in Maryland) one person on one day does not change my loyalty- just made me a little... taken a back I guess.

I guess that's the thing. I am not one to complain, maybe I should not have even vented here, it's that over the years, it's just NEVER. HAPPENED. There.

I do appreciate this. I am FAR TOO LOYAL to Bit of Britain to ever leave because of that one experience.

I do think it is more constructive to go to a manager or owner in a situation like this, prior to posting on a internet bulletin board. I understand some have a hard time with perceived confrontation and a customer should be entitled to reasonable service every visit. But reality does not always match what "should" happen.

If there were a long history of poor service or if management did not work hard to resolve the issue, then all bets are off. But, I do think it is more appropriate to allow owner/managers an opportunity to correct the problem prior to this type of post, particularly if you have a history of good experiences.

It is fortunate that John happened upon this thread, but we shouldn't expect store owners to frequent COTH, in order to have an opportunity to correct a problem.

My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    I do think it is more constructive to go to a manager or owner in a situation like this, prior to posting on a internet bulletin board.

Amen!

And may I just warn everyone...we all have "cranky" moments. I work all day long in customer service (and I'm not the only one, many here do also). There is always room for someone to make a mistake in this life. You can't always be perfect with every interaction. When someone isn't quite as forthcoming as you'd like, just take it with a grain of salt; smile; take a moment, take a breath, and lower your voice and tone while making eye contact, and ask your question in a slightly different way, and add, "I know it has probably been a long day for you, but I don't mind waiting while you find the answer," or another sympathetic sentence. You will probably get what you need and the person will appreciate your sympathy and patience, and by your contrasting tone, will understand they've been rude. I have to talk people into letting me access their personal property all day long over the phone most of the time, and I have learned a lot about tone of voice and how to ask the right questions.

Don't get someone fired over a quick, unthinking remark, that they would probably like to take back, but for a million other things hitting them at once. We are not all perfect, we are not all sunshine and roses all day long! Sometimes I think people make a mountain out of a molehill, too. We have only the OP's word that this was snarky, too. Perhaps it wasn't. Just sayin'. And I agree about bringing it to the board. It's so easy just to write a note on here, why not send it to the store first? Or was that done also?

You never know what battles other people fight in their lives, what they live with, so be kind to people in customer service. It's a hard job.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com